Prioritizing New Gear

brn2hnt

WKR
Hey guys, question for the gear nuts out there. I am looking to use some of my tax monies to revamp my hunting wardrobe, and was thinking about where to start. Most of my hunting is early archery season in CA (Late Aug) and rifle season (Sept-Oct), with occasional rain, but seldom anything torrential. Mix of spot and stalk and still hunting.

So in what order of importance would you rank the following items, assuming all from a top line mfg?
Merino Top
Merino Bottoms
Pants
Outer Jacket
Down/Synthetic "poofy" jacket
Vest
Rain Gear

Companies I'm looking at: First Lite, Core4 (love camofire) kuiu, sitka, kryptec
I have my own ideas that I will post later, but looking to see what others think as well.

BH Hunter

FNG
I use the puffy jacket all of the time, love it. Merino's are a must have and I would definitely wear pants while hunting.

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
Core4 merino top and bottom from camofire.
Core4 pants, either element or switchback from camofire.

Then you will have enough to spend on the higher end stuff, like a spindrift from Kuiu.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
There are a LOT of a good companies making merino wool base layers, and from what I can tell, very little difference in feel and function. Find some good deals on merino wool base layers when you get a chance at a great deal (like camofire), but I would focus some extra coin on a quality lightweight rain gear, then puffy jacket and then if you had any funds left over a set of puffy pants.

If you can't keep any of the garments dry whats the point, focus on rain gear first and go from there. :D

flytrait

Lil-Rokslider
Merino base layers first and foremost. It all starts with how comfortable you are. It will wick moisture, breath when warm, and keep you warmer when temps drop. Comfort will allow you to hunt harder and longer. 2nd would be the pants for me, you said you hunt CA if you were in other parts of the country then my list could change dramatically from the 2nd choice and on.

OP
B

brn2hnt

WKR
Something else to note as well now that I think about it, the only back country hunts I do are the early archery hunts, and opener of rifle (mid sept.) In the last five years, I have been rained on hard once, and a light rain one other time. Because of this I have a hard time justifying the coin on top line rain gear like the Chugach set, when most of my bad weather hunting is done from a car camp where weight is not an issue.

Also, the majority of the time we are looking at lows in the mid to high 30s and daytime temps into the 80's. Thanks for all the help so far

Mike

Lawnboi

WKR
Id say outerwear followed by raingear and insulation. Imo a baselayer is a baselayer wether its merino or synthetic... Good outerwear is going to move with you, shed wind and a little water, be quiet, dry fast, ect.

If you hunt in the cold or spend alot of time glassing a puffy layer is priceless! I use an arcteryx one, there are alot of them out there.

Yukondog

WKR
I would say base layer is #1. To me this makes the biggest difference in comfort level. You could get away without a bottom base layer to start with.

Second would be a jacket. Sounds like you could get away without any rain gear if you are selective with your softshell. That would save you some good money right there.

Third - pants.

Fourth - Insulating jacket.

Fifth - Vest. Though for me I'm a vest guy and that personally would be high on my list.

Sixth would be the rain gear. This is based on your example of running into rain. I hunt CO and my KUIU Guide Jacket is all I need. It sheds water very well. Now, my tune might change once I experience a soaking rain for days on end, but to this point I simply have not needed true rain gear.

Matt