Prioritizing: Proper Packing Necessities vs Everything else

OP
Where's Bruce?
That's a lot of weight and there are lighter hammocks out there. My sleep system this year was under 5 and going to be getting a pound lighter by next year.

True but they are not designed for 4 season use and/or require you add bug netting and un underquilt, etc so by the time you make em "acceptable" the weight difference is negligible. After age 50 all the body's warranties expire and like it or not, you move slower and more cautiously. When I work out I do not run, I walk quickly (usuablly wearing a heavy pack) or ride my bike to preserve my knees. I sleep in a hammock to preserve my back. The last hunt I took sleeping on the ground lasted exactly one night. In the morning i looked like a 90 yr old without his walker. When I awaken after sleeping in my hammock I am the 1st ready to get going. 4lbs more may be a lot of weight but for me, the cost-benefit analysis is worth it. I need my sleep. Plus...if and when I shoot something at dusk and don't finish tracking/dressing until 2am...I don't have to search for a flat spot to pitch. I can hang almost anywhere. It is often much harder to find a suitable place to pitch a ground tent. Not arguing with you, it is just a no-brainer for me. I've tried both and the difference is night & day.

rhendrix

WKR
Couple of things I realized this year that may help you out...take into account I'm an archery hunter who's primary focus is mule deer.

My main concerns with my gear this year after my hunt in Utah are as follows: 1) water 2) food 3) shelter. I packed two 3L bladders and felt like I should've packed a dromedary bag as well to cache water. Would've slowed me down a little bit on the way up, and I won't be cutting weight by adding a dromedary bag initially, but it saves me wear and tear in the long run by allowing me another day or two to ridge hop and glass. I brought way too much food, I figured I'd need 2800 calories a day to be fresh every day, I could've gotten by with 2000. I know for sure I could cut some weight here by splitting up the mountain house meals, and just packing some bars for lunch instead of a sandwich. At the end of the day I was never hungry, and I always woke up the next day feeling fresh and ready to go. I didn't hunt as near as hard as I would've like to because of hiccup with my bow, but the 6 days that I did hunt I never slowed down or felt wore out. All combined my shelter (sleeping bag, pad, bivy bag and tipi) weighed in the neighborhood of 5.5 pounds, I rarely used the tipi due to it being a PITA to set up (some of that is my inexperience and some is the fact that it works best on level ground like you mentioned). These are the main things I'm looking at to cut weight for next year or make my hunt more enjoyable, I could cut weight in the optics department, but I love my spotting scope, I could also cut weight by not packing as many clothes (extra pair of socks, base layer top, and underwear) and upgrading the clothes I have to more technical hunting clothing, but that can get expensive in a hurry, and what I used worked for the most part, so it'll have to wait until next year. Next year I'm willing to sacrifice being comfortable for being more mobile. That line is different for every individual and it may take awhile to figure out what works best ofr you.

I think it'd really do you some good to make a detailed pack list and post it up here...I did and it helped me tremendously, what works for one person may not work for another, so if after talking to more experienced hunters you still feel justified in taking what you are taking, then do so. Just remember, ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain.

Last edited:
OP
Where's Bruce?
I should mention that my big pack and all my gear gets placed in my hammock and hoisted high into a tree using paracord, I hunt with an Ascent hip pack only and carry water, a snack, Smoke in a Bottle, calls, game bags, camera or phone, sidearm, two knives, some 1st aid stuff, GPS and PLB. So once I am at my primary destination, I am very light. It's only the trek in and out that has any real weight (unless we bivy to a second or third spike location). What I see dictates where I camp. This is my hunting mode pack...because age matters.
Augwalkaway.jpg

rhendrix

WKR
If this is the case then it really come down to what you want to carry for your own piece of mind and comfort level.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Having good gear is important to me, I prefer to purchase quality once. So my Optifade is nice and light, my bow is light, I usually pack enough water to get to my water sources and refill using the Hiker Pro. On my 14 day float trip I won't be lugging a heavy pack all day unless it's to carry moose. The day to day work is light too. I just don't carry a heavy pack day after day so having a 10lb shelter/sleep syst is no biggie for me.

OP
Where's Bruce?
How small does that hammock system pack down to?

The 4 season Clark NX250 is large compared to most...about the size of a neck pillow. Fast forward to 1:24 to see a comparison shot and the size of the hammock tucked into it's pocket (no stuff sack on the Clarks):

[video=youtube;zgtglVLEinM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgtglVLEinM[/video]

Last edited:
OP
Where's Bruce?
Most of us replace the Clark suspension system and upgrade to Whoppie slings...easier to hang, lighter and much more adjustable.

[video=youtube;ZWIY0CBoH8k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWIY0CBoH8k[/video]

Having good gear is important to me, I prefer to purchase quality once. So my Optifade is nice and light, my bow is light, I usually pack enough water to get to my water sources and refill using the Hiker Pro. On my 14 day float trip I won't be lugging a heavy pack all day unless it's to carry moose. The day to day work is light too. I just don't carry a heavy pack day after day so having a 10lb shelter/sleep syst is no biggie for me.

Bruce, I was planning on posting my gear list here to maybe help with some options, but before I could do that, the thread took a very confusing turn for me. Your original post asked about what people believe is essential gear, and what is not essential, in an attempt to reduce the weight of your gear. Some members have posted that they find some of the gear you carry to not be essential, and that it is heavier than what they would carry. You have replied that you like it anyway, that for you it is important to have it, and that the weight of your pack does not matter much to you because you do not carry it that often. That's the point where I got lost.

I think that, in and of itself points to the fact that there is no answer to your original question. What is essential will depend so much on each person and the situation involved that it is hard to discuss in any way other than in vague generalities. For example, most of us would agree that a shelter of some sort is a necessity. For you that means 10lb of gear. For others it could mean 3lb worth of sleeping bag, pad and bivi.

So generally speaking, the essential things are shelter, water purification and storage, cooking equipment, navigation, and a pack. The devil is however in the details. My base weight for temperatures above 0F is about 15lb (not including climbing gear), with an additional 9lb of gear for whitetail hunting. I am sure we both carry the same list of essential components, but we probably disagree about what piece of gear in each component is truly essential.

All that being said, I am not a guide, or an experienced hunter, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Again, I just found the thread a bit confusing. If you are still interested, I would be happy to tell you what I use for any particular piece of equipment, for whatever that's worth.

OP
Where's Bruce?
I understand...kinda got off track here. I was actually asking what people view as absolute essentials, (for back country hunting) and what would be optional ( like a saw, back-up water filtration, 1st aid items, etc) and if there was a first, second and third tier of priorities...3rd tier being mostly snivel gear like a flask or cigars. Just a general, all around classification of items based on need vs want. Is that any clearer? I've had a flu with fever for awhile now and it shows here, not real clearheaded.