private land DIY, drop camp or Go guided

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
There are a few guys that tell you that they only hunt diy public land for the challenge, and a very few of them are actually telling you the truth. For the most part, folks hunt diy public because guided hunts don’t fit the budget. If I had the coin, I’d be going on guided hunts every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Disagree with this. I could afford guided if I wanted to, but get a sense of satisfaction from the process of doing things for myself. Half of the enjoyment I get from hunting comes from researching, planning, and executing without having someone give me the answer. If you cant enjoy the process and are only interested in results, or only have limited time to devote to the process, then guided is the way to go.

Disagree with this. I could afford guided if I wanted to, but get a sense of satisfaction from the process of doing things for myself. Half of the enjoyment I get from hunting comes from researching, planning, and executing without having someone give me the answer. If you cant enjoy the process and are only interested in results, or only have limited time to devote to the process, then guided is the way to go.

Couldn’t agree more.

Some folks need..or should be guided.

Others, a guide would just get in the way.

Brendan

WKR
With your experience would you put more time into early season archery public land hunts or wait until rifle season for public land?
What animal?

Everyone's different, but I generally prefer archery when talking about Elk. Deer, probably spot and stalk archery, but there are some places I might prefer gun during the rut. Antelope, I'd probably pick rifle.

So, not a black and white question.

Fullfan

WKR
DIY Public land. Cost less, can stay longer, and hunt where you want to. Not where a guide wants you to.

Attachments

• F44701FA-B6F9-4ABF-B8AA-2EC995A70F17.png
    F44701FA-B6F9-4ABF-B8AA-2EC995A70F17.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
  • 6EFC864B-0284-4055-BEEB-CB18AC41502B.jpeg
    6EFC864B-0284-4055-BEEB-CB18AC41502B.jpeg
    643.9 KB · Views: 37

md126

WKR
I would never consider a drop camp or guided hunt unless it was on private land. The only advantage to public land drop camps/guided are getting an animal packed out. Not worth the $$ to me.

There are things an outfitter can guarantee. For your money you’ll get a camp and food, you’ll have someone to get your elk out if you get one. If you don’t drive you might get picked up at the airport. Those things all save time which is a good thing. You can squeeze an elk hunt into one week.

But unless you really do your homework you aren’t guaranteed some things. You may not be in the greatest hunting area. You might not have the experienced guide you thought money could buy. And you might not be in an area that you couldn’t just throw up a camp and hunt on foot.

So before you dump the cash into an outfitter you should ask yourself why you’re really doing that and what you are expecting to get for your money.

Also a DIY elk hunt requires some investments. The things that you don’t need if you go guided. Mainly your camp. There are lots of one and done elk hunters. Once some hunters realize what it really takes to try to find and kill elk they decide it’s not their idea of fun and they walk away. Going with an outfitter is a good way to get your feet wet and figure that out before you go shopping for Sitka clothes and other expensive gear.

So if you only have one week to hunt and you’re completely new to the game you might consider hiring an outfitter. It could definitely increase your chances of success. But if you know you’re in it for the long haul and maybe have a hunt or two under your belt you might as well invest in gear and get started with your diy elk hunting career. Once you learn your area I believe your chances of success are as good or better than any guided hunt. That might not be true if you’re talking a private land hunt but who wants to pay that kind of money every year and as some have said it’s not nearly as satisfying of a sense of accomplishment.

Fullfan

WKR
Ketron10a. It just takes some homework and several guys that can work together as a team in evert aspect. And I mean everything, pooling $, packing, driving, setting up camp, cooking, packing elk, doing others laundry when you do yours. We butcher our own, and split the meat equally when we arrive at home. We have a good time and were able to kill 6 bulls and 2 cows in 2020, with 9 guys. Only guy that did nor score was just on vacation and did not hunt like the rest of us.

FLS

WKR
If you decide to go with an outfitter and he’s not booked up a couple of years out, I would look elsewhere. If they’re good people come back.

F250

FNG
I really don't need a guide to take me to where the elk are. What I need/want is the access to private land that the guide has. Living in the east, and driving 2200 miles to hunt, really doesn't allow for any scouting time on heavily used public lands.

What animal?

Everyone's different, but I generally prefer archery when talking about Elk. Deer, probably spot and stalk archery, but there are some places I might prefer gun during the rut. Antelope, I'd probably pick rifle.

So, not a black and white question.
I apologize, I meant to include the fact that we will be hunting Elk.

I really don't need a guide to take me to where the elk are. What I need/want is the access to private land that the guide has. Living in the east, and driving 2200 miles to hunt, really doesn't allow for any scouting time on heavily used public lands.
There isn’t a chunk of private land big enough or beautiful enough to quench my thirst for elk hunting.

“The mountains are the marrow of the world “

fatlander

WKR

Couldn’t agree more.

Some folks need..or should be guided.

Others, a guide would just get in the way.

Did you read what I wrote? You both affirmed exactly what I said. . . Most folks don’t go on guided hunts because they don’t have the coin. A very few guys would rather slug it out on public land than hunt the San Carlos, looks like we’ve found two of them.

Did you read what I wrote? You both affirmed exactly what I said. . . Most folks don’t go on guided hunts because they don’t have the coin. A very few guys would rather slug it out on public land than hunt the San Carlos, looks like we’ve found two of them.

I believe Davis and I both understood what you typed.

For me, I’d rather not be guided.

Now, given the choice to hunt private, I’d take it.
But guided, not so much.

On public, being guided...even if free?
Nope. Cost isn’t a factor, either.
Don’t want it, don’t need it.

To me the downside of private land is that you can’t be overly aggressive. I like to make it happen. In the mountains if you blow it you can just head somewhere else and hunt another undisturbed area. On private you have to be careful. No running and gunning. If you get busted it can mean some long lonely days waiting for other elk to come onto the property. It’s a waiting game. More like deer hunting. Not my cup of tea. If it’s all about killing an elk you can certainly achieve your goal. I killed this bull on private property at the base of the Bighorns. Only two of us on the ranch for $1500 each including a nice mobile home for accommodations. Most boring hunt ever and I wouldn’t do a hunt like that again for free. It wasn’t a hunt where a guy would really learn anything about elk hunting either. 9ABAA1C0-4EE2-49F6-9B37-F239C6A635EE.jpeg

Brillo

FNG
Well, reading this, and other, threads has been discouraging but I am still going to try DIY elk . I expect several nice hikes as well an opportunity to experience something new and challenging with my son. I can afford a guided hunt but he cannot. I am retired but he has limited time. I value our relationship far more than shooting an elk. I am going to start elk hunting with him and hopefully he will be able to build on what we start.

Gerbdog

WKR
Well, reading this, and other, threads has been discouraging but I am still going to try DIY elk . I expect several nice hikes as well an opportunity to experience something new and challenging with my son. I can afford a guided hunt but he cannot. I am retired but he has limited time. I value our relationship far more than shooting an elk. I am going to start elk hunting with him and hopefully he will be able to build on what we start.
With that good attitude and those goals you cant lose, you're in for a good time and success will follow soon after, the forums and folks here are happy to help smooth the learning curve along the way

Deadeye17

FNG
Did my first elk hunt on private this past fall. Fellow hunter had been going for 19 or so years. Seems you’ll need an in to find private land