Private land programs for Habitat improvements?

JBears

FNG
I would add that getting into a formal CRP contract will be difficult/impossible if there is no crop history on the land you intend to improve. In addition, the CRP process is a competitive one, and there are no guarantees that your application will be approved. So like others have said, you may need to investigate other state and federal programs.

For example, I own 10 acres of pasture connected to my acreage. It has been in hay production for more than 15 years and half of it is erodible. However, when I inquired with our FSA office about CRP, without knowing the original planting date and having documented crop history (number of cuttings, number of bales, etc...) I wouldn't be able to complete the application. Basically, I would need to tear it all up and start over to build the crop history required for the government to calculate the rental rate if it was accepted into the program. The farm history also has to fall within the specific farm bill window to be eligible for the program.

Bottom line, there is a ton of red tape and requirements to get into CRP. I have less experience with the other programs, but there are "strings attached" any time you partner with a state or federal agency. I'm not saying this to discourage your effort, just emphasizing the need to go in with eyes wide open.

Good luck!
Yep CRP/WRP is largely geared towards removing ground from Ag practices and restoring to a semblance of grasslands/wetlands. But there are other options such as the Environmental Quality Improvement Project (EQIP) which is essentially a cost share/fund provision for performing land management work like invasive species removal, tree/shrub management, prescribed burning, native seeding, etc.

So eyes open and be willing to explore a variety of options is definitely key! Each program has different requirements.

If you are interested in permanent conservation to the land, you might also consider a conservation easement with a local land trust, or perhaps some of the national ones (Nature Conservancy is one of many). Typically these agreements are negotiated pretty rigorously so you can basically specify everything you envision of the property lined out in the documents.

Anyone aware of (or used) government programs to convert or improve private land use to animal habitat?

Ive been improving my small holding out of pocket but intend to increase my land to 200 plus acres. Would like to convert the majority to a highly diverse and healthy habitat for native game both large and small. This practice is not common out west.

Perhaps grants, tax incentives, seed or tree planting, permanent water infrastructure improvement. Anyone have experience?
CSP is the other government program to look at. Actually larger than CRP but no one has ever herd of it. NRCS can tell if enrollment is open or available in your area. Shorter term than CRP.