PRK... so far so good!!!

trkyslr

WKR
Well last Thursday I got PRK which is similar to lasics but a different procedure. Instead of cutting a flap on your cornia to let the laser in the pretty much burn and rub off the outer cornia layers then hit you with the laser. The following 2 days was not fun but each day now is getting better. My vision is already way better and dr. Newman told me my vision will probably get even better overthe next couple weeks. So far I'm glad I did it and the best money I've spent! I'm already seeing things I missed before with my crappy vision I had.

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
I am seriously considering lasik myself, the only problem I have is I use bifocals now and I would probably still need readers. I could get the permaclear procedure but that is out of my price range at around 10 k. Did you have bifocals before your procedure?

OP
T

trkyslr

WKR
I am seriously considering lasik myself, the only problem I have is I use bifocals now and I would probably still need readers. I could get the permaclear procedure but that is out of my price range at around 10 k. Did you have bifocals before your procedure?
No I did not have bifocals, but my vision was so bad for about 10 years I should have worn glasses or contact lenses. I would have to squint to sharpen objects to see them and it really effected me. I would deff look into it and see if your qualify for the procedure. I'm wishing i would have done it a lot sooner.

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
I qualify just have to decide if I'm gonna or not. Probably still have to use readers, but would be worth it I think.

OP
T

trkyslr

WKR
Today I got the protective contact lenses pulled and my vision was blurred more then yesterday. Dr told me this is normal and the total recovery time could be 2-4 weeks. Did say though each day should be better then the last.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
So glad to hear your recovery is going well. Luke had LASIK a little over a year ago, and I think he would tell you it changed his life. Before the surgery his vision was so bad he couldn't read a digital alarm clock on the night stand...camping, hiking and backpacking were always complicated with worries about torn contacts or eye infections from less than ideal contact removals and we always had to pack contact solution along. Now his vision is better than mine, and I Can't believe we didn't do the surgery sooner. His only complication has been extreme sensitivity to campfire smoke, but it's a pretty small price to pay for less hassle and better vision.

Hope your recovery continues to to well, and that you get the results you are hoping for!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I think Krispy Kremes are bad for your eyes. Everytime I see one I get tunnel vision until I eat it.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also had PRK and I am glad that I did. You are right though....the first few days afterwards was not fun at all! It has been over a year and things are great!

weaver

WKR
Had lasik surgery done 3 years ago. Best money i ever spent. No more dealing with contacts.

I had lasik done last summer and am so glad I did. You're right, the first few days are pretty uncomfortable but that will go away quickly. It's going to be very nice for camping and backpacking.

OP
T

trkyslr

WKR
Well it's now a week later from when I had surgery and again Ill say I wish i would have done it sooner! I'm loving it so far and I'm still improving. Things still get little blurry and bright lights at night I see in a double vision, but getting crisper. The depth and detail I see now is awesome. It's like I have a pair of Swiss or swarovskis implanted into my head. I'm also noticing my vision at last light is longer and clearer so now I'll prob have a few more minutes at those blacktails I see a lot just after shootin light fades.

OP
T

trkyslr

WKR
Well it's been three weeks since my operation and like others mentioned I wish I would have done it sooner! It's amazing to see clearly now. My depth perception is what I really notice at things even far off. Before I would look at a field of weeds and see one faded color of grass, now i see several different colors and details in each weed up to 200 yards away. I was really missing a lot the last ten years. After a month and half off of shooting 3d shoots I shot one this last weekend and shot an 881 with a dropped arrow (mental mistake). I can now clearly see them damn single orange dots and am not seeing a whole basket of them. I'm very happy with the results and encourage anyone who is thinking of doing it or qualifies for it to do it sooner then later.

swat8888

WKR
Not to be debby downer but I've had PRK twice...the Army pays for it so the price was no issue. The first time I got it in 2005 my recovery was pretty quick...like 2-3 weeks and my vision stablized. However, about 2009 my vision started getting worse again, not horrible 20/50ish...which was still better than where I was pre-PRK. Still I had to wear glasses and on last years sheep hunt trying to deal with foggy glasses drove me to inquire about the surgery again. The second time around technology had advanced and I got the best of the best equipment for my surgery that did a fully custom PRK. The second time my recovery took forever...probably 4 months. I had blurry and double vision for quite awhile that was making me very nervous since that never happened the first time. But in the end my eyesight now is amazing, I can spot coues deer from very long distances with the naked eye, and details are amazing. I cannot wait to hit the sheep mountains in August and see clearly without any glasses to fog up, fall off, have to be removed before using the spotter, or reflect sunlight. Best money I never spent....hopefully it lasts more than 5 years this time. I had surgery in October 2011 and my vision at six months was 20/15...I could even read about half of the 20/10 letters.

OP
T

trkyslr

WKR
Swat8888, my recovery isn't complete as I'm still taking the steroid drops and I have double vision at night when looking at bright lights. I was told by my dr that once I stop the drops it will clear up even more and the double visions at night will slowly start to sharpen up. I as well had the best of the best technology (dr of most nor cal pro team athletes, le, etc.) on my surgery and have confidence in my outcome once fully healed.