Pro Merino 200 vs Peleton 200 for midlayer

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
Another KUIU question - looking for input on a mid layer for backpack hunting in Alberta, typically in September for 7-10 day trips.
Current setup I've used the past 3 years is lightweight merino long sleeve, a down puffy, and a Kuiu Guide soft shell jacket.
Looking to optimize for comfort & weight, and it sounds like most folks prefer to use a midlayer hoody and then a puffy, leaving behind the softshell.

Currently I'm trying to decide between the Pro Merino 200 hoody and the Peleton 200 hoody. I like the idea of merino to prevent stinking, but worried if it'll be warm enough. Sometimes it gets pretty windy so windproof-ness is a consideration. Does the polyester face they advertise cut the wind?

Thanks!

Neither will cut the wind. I have both pieces and would choose the merino for backpacking in September.

BBob

WKR
I find with a light merino base layer using poly over the top the poly doesn't end up stinking or not much that I can tell. Like many I use a light merino base, mid-layer hoody that suits temps, puffy that suits temps and a rain shell. A peloton 97 is always in my pack as is a light rain shell. I never wear a softshell backpacking, too heavy. They are for town or in and out of the truck.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
i use a 150 or 200 weight merino layer then a 240 pelaton over that, i love that 240, prob my favorite piece of clothing, round it out with a puffy and a rain jacket and your set!

AndrewZ

FNG
I wear the pro merino 200 zip t (no hood) as my base layer in September, then the Peloton 240 as my mid. The face of the pro merino offers no wind resistance, but that helps it breathe very well and feels lighter than 200 wt., and actually works pretty good as a base. The combo I run isn't perfect, depending on the weather it gets pretty warm when moving with both layers on, and can be almost too cold without a second layer. So for your question, I'd say the peloton line or strongfleece would be better. If I was to add another layer, it'll be a grid-fleece material like SG Helio on top of the pro merino which I think would regulate better, and then only keep the 240 more as insulation/wind protection when needed.

FYI if you do go with pro merino, the sizing is weird. I'm a large for kuiu, but i swam in the large pro merino, so went down to a medium, but the medium is a little tight.(6'. 190lb, 43" chest. 33" waist)

Busted

FNG
I’m also in Alberta and would agree with what was said above. I own both the Pro 200 and the Peloton 200. I don’t particularly like the Peloton 200, too warm for moving but doesn’t add enough warmth for sitting. Weight and bulk of the 200 vs the 97 isn’t worth it, but I run hot while moving.

I’ll run the Pro 200 as a base or with a 125 T underneath. Peloton 240 over top if cold/windy, with the 97 in my pack if needed for extra warmth.