Pro Shop Expectations

OR Archer

WKR
So reading one of the other threads I thought I’d pose the question as to what everyone’s expectations are from Pro Shops? Also what has formed your expectations?

I find myself wondering this too. I mean there's always customers that you won't make happy. If you show up a few weeks before season opens it's going to be really hard to make you happy as that's when things are swamped.

I always get pissed dealing with mechanics. It's rare that I don't work on my own equipment or vehicles. Mostly because I need my shit fixed now. Any good mechanic ain't waiting for you to show up so they have something to do.

Hate to say I think it just amounts to $. A dealer doesn't make a lot selling a bow. Then figure overhead. I think most people don't grasp how expensive retail space and employees can be. I think a good bow tech is worth pretty decent money, but the people who will pay for that are few and far between. Its a bad situation.

My expectations are low, which is why I now do everything I can to avoid them. That expectation is based on a long train of mild-to-moderate abuses at the hands of two different shops in my area. To wit:
  • Told me a particular bow fit me great when the draw length was actually 2" too short
  • Charged me $15 to tie in a peep sight (that I provided) only to have the peep fly out of the string 10 shots later (last time I ever let that particular shop touch my bow)
  • Insisted that 80% Hoyt ZT mods don't exist
  • Repeatedly ordered right-handed components/accessories even after I made it perfectly clear that I'm a lefty

gelton

WKR
I would expect that they run their business to the same expectations of any other business.

1. Do what you say and say what you mean.

2. Communicate to the customer to set expectations and provide an internal process that ensures that communication happens.

3. Have an inventory model that works to support those processes.

4. Demand that your techs etc. stay up to date on the latest and greatest - I am no archery aficionado but sometimes feel I have more knowledge about the general industry than the people who work there. (they had never heard about Iron Will broadheads, inserts and collar system for instance)

5. Follow the process instead of being people pleasers...if you refer to my recent thread I know why what happened having a bow sold out from under me happened, the shop manager just wants to make people happy. He did a ton of work for me on a previous bow that I didn't buy there and didn't even charge me when he should have. That type of mentality not only costs the shop revenue, it also causes the above-mentioned processes to be disregarded.

Edit - To add, anyone can show up to this shop at any time to have their bow tuned and worked on...everyone there is always flying around like chickens with their heads cut off. A previous shop when I lived at another location required an appointment and for you to leave the bow and come pick it up...I didn't like the leaving the bow part but the appointment helped the bow techs and shop run as orderly as possible without having to put out fires all day.

Last edited:

NEWAoutdoors

Lil-Rokslider
When i dove into archery nearly every source of information and every person i talked to about getting into archery suggested a pro shop to get me all set up. They would measure my draw length and so forth. Also to shoot as many different bows as possible. So that was my expectation. In the end i only got to shoot one bow, the bow i bought. Never could get it tuned right after going back multiple times. My peep sight fell out 3 times and had to be retied. The draw length they set me up with is about 2 inches short but my bow is maxed. So in the end i wish i would've just bought a cheap ready to hunt bow and learned myself. Site like this is priceless

Rob5589

WKR
Communication is key. I believe most of the issues we read about are all related to a lack of communication. On both sides.

Don't make promises you cannot keep. Whether it is an order, work being performed, or a service you aren't competent to provide. Sometimes shit happens. People should accommodate that possibility. But don't make up stuff and keep people hanging.

Honesty. The customer is not always right. Sometimes you have to, in a respectful way, tell the customer that they aren't right and attempt to guide them in the right direction.

Make sure the technicians are well trained. If I can learn to tune a bow by simply watching videos, reading articles, and just by doing it, there is no reason to have guys touching a bow if they have no idea what they are doing.

Try as reasonably possible to make the customer happy. But don't lose your shirt over it, either. Every merchant, no matter the business, is not likely to make everyone happy. Some customers have unrealistic expectations. And some are just a-holes.

Rob5589

WKR
I find myself wondering this too. I mean there's always customers that you won't make happy. If you show up a few weeks before season opens it's going to be really hard to make you happy as that's when things are swamped.

I always get pissed dealing with mechanics. It's rare that I don't work on my own equipment or vehicles. Mostly because I need my shit fixed now. Any good mechanic ain't waiting for you to show up so they have something to do.

Hate to say I think it just amounts to $. A dealer doesn't make a lot selling a bow. Then figure overhead. I think most people don't grasp how expensive retail space and employees can be. I think a good bow tech is worth pretty decent money, but the people who will pay for that are few and far between. Its a bad situation.

Exactly. If you are hunting in Sept, your bow should be ready to go, right now. All you should be doing is shooting. Don't expect to run into the shop and get new strings, a tune, new parts, etc, in the middle of August and expect to be ready to hunt come Sept. If you need new shit, get it now.

Warmsy

WKR
My pro shop is awesome for compounds. I gave up compounds, but I am super confident in my local bow tech. I would "expect" good service and knowledge beyond my comprehension... But most now techs probably aren't making enough money to research and learn off the clock. Expectations and realistic expectations are two very different things.

gelton

WKR
My pro shop is awesome for compounds. I gave up compounds, but I am super confident in my local bow tech. I would "expect" good service and knowledge beyond my comprehension... But most now techs probably aren't making enough money to research and learn off the clock. Expectations and realistic expectations are two very different things.
True but it seems to me that if you want to be a master of your craft then the expectation is for you to absorb as much information out there that you can....doesn't mean you have to agree with it but at least be able to form an opinion on it...and if you don't want to be a master of your craft then you wouldn't be my bow tech.

Exactly. If you are hunting in Sept, your bow should be ready to go, right now. All you should be doing is shooting. Don't expect to run into the shop and get new strings, a tune, new parts, etc, in the middle of August and expect to be ready to hunt come Sept. If you need new shit, get it now.

Mine ain't ready. But I don't expect anyone to get it ready but me. I have everything I'll need. Just a matter of changing some things around.

wapitibob

WKR

The best thing to happen for consumers was Lancaster going online retail, and conversely, that will be the death of mom/pop archery shops. The smart ones, like the op's former employer, probably have more than 50% of their retail sales coming from non archery related merchandise. I've seen another shop start doing that as well. When the sales go up because they're an outdoor gear destination they can afford to pay the techs a decent salary to keep them. Those top end guys will in turn keep the archery customers coming back.

Last edited:
The best thing to happen for consumers was Lancaster going online retail, and conversely, that will be the death of mom/pop archery shops. The smart ones, like the op's former employer, probably have more than 50% of their retail sales coming from non archery related merchandise. I've seen a another shop start doing that as well. When the sales go up because they're an outdoor gear destination they can afford to pay the techs a decent salary to keep them. Those top end guys will in turn keep the archery customers coming back.

Yeah, my local shop is more than just archery. More than just an outdoor store.

They also decided if you can't beat them, join them. They now wholesale a lot of their stuff from Lancaster. Before the shipping got crazy they could have stuff next day if order was placed by lunch or so. They still deal with other suppliers and of course deal with the bow companies direct. But it opened up a lot of inventory that they can access quick. It's surprising what they can sell stuff for when they don't need to hold onto it.

Warmsy

WKR
You're absolutely right. I charge good money for carpentry. I get off work and read articles relevant to my trade. I buy books they have irrelevant information just to see what people were thinking "back then".

I would love to find a traditional shop that was as excited about it as I am.

Greenmachine_1

Lil-Rokslider
I like the topic. The shop that I go to is the local gun store, bow shop, archery range combo. I like the manager and he's the only one who I hand my bow to get work done. (Not sure if he works on it, but it always shoots good after the fact). I'm pretty sure if the manager left, I would just buy the equipment and work on it myself.

I'm already on the path to going for a full service setup just so that I can play around a little more.

My struggle is that I have a bow that shoots well and I don't know enough to get it perfect. So a trusted tech is what I choose at this point in my archery journey.

As for advice on a shop, I would find a place that can get you shooting okay, can get a bow tuned, install accessories correctly, and be able to cut and fletch a custom length arrow. Beyond that, I would keep my expectations pretty low. If you need anything custom, get to know the tech and be there during off hours and off times of the year to get the more intense work done. It's a business and spending half a day to tweak a bow for a customer while they are in the shop isn't feasible for the margins.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
Expectations for me are mostly based on the service I receive. Where I lived 10 years ago I had pretty high expectations but that was based on the fact I was getting great service already. Where I am at currently it has taken a while to find what I consider quality service but I finally found it. The shop doesn’t even stock the brand of bows I have and yet every time I walk in I’m treated well and given more than fair pricing. It’s service good enough that it’s made me consider switching bows just to support them

406unltd

WKR
My expectations are high because it’s possible for those expectations to be met. I used one shop that was aweful. Then a new shop started in town and they just get it right. If anyone needs a competent shop look up straight6 archery in Missoula and Bozeman MT.

gelton

WKR
The best thing to happen for consumers was Lancaster going online retail, and conversely, that will be the death of mom/pop archery shops. The smart ones, like the op's former employer, probably have more than 50% of their retail sales coming from non archery related merchandise. I've seen another shop start doing that as well. When the sales go up because they're an outdoor gear destination they can afford to pay the techs a decent salary to keep them. Those top end guys will in turn keep the archery customers coming back.
Funny thing though is I would be willing to pay for all of the accessories locally if they only had them in stock and in most cases pay even more than the list price. For example, I found an SKB bow case that I bought locally for $35 cheaper online (about 10%) and I didn't even bring it up because I am a big believer of supporting local.

A great example is my local dealer is stoked about being a rep for Hamskea arrow rests. But I was able to order one online from S&S archery and get it before them even though they ordered it several weeks before me, WHILE getting a 10% Rokslide discount.

Inventory management, I think is a big part of being a viable local pro shop.

Reactions: ZDR
I have very high expectations. There are so many options to buy archery equipment. If someone wants my money, especially if im dropping over 2 grand in bow arrows sight stabilizer and returning for more supplies etc., and they act all high and mighty i ditch them. I agree customer isnt always right and some people can be assholes. But i go in asking questions and just try to get the know the person, i dont kick down their door with a Tacocat shirt touting an Ashby report and claim the owner doesn't know his shit...

kcm2

WKR
To be fair, a bow shop is a small business battling Cabelas and Bass Pro, among others, for business. Knowing that, if you buy your bow and accessories there, and plan ahead, the one I frequent will make sure your work gets done when you need it. My bow is totally dialed in no later than June 1. If I buy a new bow, I order it by early February. I'm a lefty so I can't expect to find things on the rack.

That being said, there are a number of good bow shops in the Denver metro area including an excellent traditional bow shop.