Pro Shop Recommendations near CDA, ID

I'm going to start my bowhunting career and looking for a set up. Looking to do it properly with a knowledgeable tech to help with my set up. I don't know much about the equipment, but am eager to get going and learn. I searched the forums and didn't turn up anything for my scenario.

I have a budget, but am willing to pay for quality equipment. I don't need all the gadgets yet, just want to get a beginner set up and work my way up.

Any pro shop recommendations that are near CDA? Do I just need to go to Black Sheep?

TheTone

WKR
I'm going to start my bowhunting career and looking for a set up. Looking to do it properly with a knowledgeable tech to help with my set up. I don't know much about the equipment, but am eager to get going and learn. I searched the forums and didn't turn up anything for my scenario.

I have a budget, but am willing to pay for quality equipment. I don't need all the gadgets yet, just want to get a beginner set up and work my way up.

Any pro shop recommendations that are near CDA? Do I just need to go to Black Sheep?
Black sheep to me has been hit or miss. I’ve had a couple great techs there set stuff up and a few that kinda scared me. I think they have put less into the archery department in recent years compared to what they had. Cody at North 40 has been good to me but catching him there has been tricky for me. I’ve heard good things about Spokane Valley Archery but never personally been there

Vandal 44

WKR
Cody at North 40 or Spokane Valley Archery are really your best option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Sleghammer
Thanks everyone for the input. Anything I should I should look out for that they may try to add to the bow package? Maybe something thats unnecessary?

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
I came up from Boise last year for a race and ended up at Spokane Valley Archery left with a new V3. The most comprehensive shop in the NW IMO. Selection and color options are hard to beat. Service was outstanding. They respected my knowledge and let me pick my bow not what they prefer or make more money on like at almost every other shop I’ve walked into.

Thanks everyone for the input. Anything I should I should look out for that they may try to add to the bow package? Maybe something thats unnecessary?
Honestly, I see all too often beginners sent to pro shops to "shoot every bow and pick the one that feels best" and it always puzzled me... how the hell does someone who's never shot a bow before know what feels best? I've been there before - its a guessing game. All too often you see green guys leaving the pro shop with a flagship bow... and often, those same guys are selling that bow a year or less down the road when they figure out what they actually like and don't like. A beginner isn't gonna be able to realistically tell the difference between different ATAs, brace heights, let offs, draw cycles... the list goes on.

I'm certain that a lot of them are falling to the power of suggestion. I've heard it spewed before in the shops "this is the last bow you'll ever need!". Contrary to what you read online, I'd guess 75%+ of bow shops are run by unscrupulous people who will take advantage of someone when they can. Reading on some of the local forums, I've seen guys praising shops that I've been into and thought "dude I wouldn't spend a dime with this asshole". Either people are okay with being taken advantage of, they enjoy assholes, or they like trusting their money with idiots. While I can handle the last scenario if they have what I want because I do my own work, I'm not interested in the first two. With that said...

My advice to beginners is to shop online and find a beginner bow made by a reputable manufacturer. Doesn't matter what the specs are... pick the one you think looks the coolest, doesn't matter. Find the dealers in your area(pro shops, avoid big name places like Cabelas/BP) and go to purchase the bow you've picked out. Any bow made within the last 5 years, "beginner" or flagship, is gonna kill animals dead and shoot more accurately than you're able to shoot. You could realistically shoot a PSE Stinger for the rest of your hunting career and not "need" another bow. Its not like the animals are going to look and be like "oh man, he's shooting one of those beginner Bear bows... I'm just gonna walk this one off SUCKER!"

Shoot the bow for a year. If bowhunting is something you like, chances are you're gonna be looking to "upgrade" in a year or so when you've got experience under your belt. At this point you have a reference and you'll know what you like and don't like.

If you really must splurge and buy the "best", splurge on accessories. Buy a Hamskea rest, a MBG sight, tightspot quiver. It might seem silly to have a $300 bow with $800 worth of accessories, but the best part is those accessories can move with you when you finally buy that nice bow.

Another thing, if you end up spending the money on a flagship and want to sell it later, you're gonna take a bigger loss than you would if you sold your "beginner" bow. Most flagships are losing at least $250-300 and that's for a current year model. Obviously the older it gets, the more it loses. That $300 beginner bow will still be worth $200 when you get done with it.

Finally, I know some of the bigger name manufacturers sell beginner bows. Not saying they're bad bows, just IMO they're overpriced(looking at you, Mission). You're paying for the "by *insert big brand here" on the bow.

This is what I wish someone would've told me to begin with.

Josh at Spokane Valley is going to be hands down the most competent. His shop is growing and his goal (speaking from what I've heard him state) is to compete with Lancaster. Inventory (other than what you will visually see) is insane.

BUT.....be prepared to stand in line. Wait. Or schedule a time. They are swamped and One on One time is rare.

Wrench

WKR
Josh at Spokane Valley is going to be hands down the most competent. His shop is growing and his goal (speaking from what I've heard him state) is to compete with Lancaster. Inventory (other than what you will visually see) is insane.

BUT.....be prepared to stand in line. Wait. Or schedule a time. They are swamped and One on One time is rare.
The SVA crew started in a smaller building in spokane. When josh was still picking bugers this guy by the name of Dan Evans worked there and between Dan and Mark spread A LOT of knowledge.

If the name rings a bell.....it's because he formed trophy taker.

Msowa

Lil-Rokslider
Trevin was with Black Sheep for a good stretch, only guy I trust with my stuff and does great with my wife and boys. He has moved on but still moonlights and has all the tools and knowledge needed if you just need a solid tech. feel free to PM if you'd like his info. He's in Post Falls