Pro Staffers

I meant to add in my previous post that an associate of mine took the optics deal that was offered to me and he was a sell out. Whenever we glassed together he would use my spotter and would leave his in the truck but when he would write his reviews he always talked about how the spotter he was given was the best. He's a friend but I always tell him that he's a sell out, he knew those optics weren't what they were cracked up to be but told anybody that would listen that they were. These are my experiences and this is why I research the hell out of the gear I use, you just can't trust everything you read

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think with any group of people, there are good and bad, doesn't matter what classification. Plumbers, doctors, cops, lawyers, etc. good and bad in all of them.

I don't see as many on the hunting side as info in the tournament/target side. I also know some who shoot the bow they shoot because it was given to them. I have shot the se companies bow forever, only one I have ever shot and it wasn't until recently I started getting the bows for free. I turned down opportunities to shoot other bows because I am convinced the companies I shoot is the best. Of course that is my opinion, but it makes it easier to talk to others about the product wether it is the good or the bad. All products have both so why try to hide it.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Being on many promotional staffs myself it has been very rewarding but the little pay I get does not pay the bills.

I think before anybody should be allowed to be part of such staff..... they should have previously used and believed in the companies products. You are right. There are too many people that are just looking for handouts and abuse the title of "Pro Staff." The ones that are doing it right benefit a great deal and it doesn't go
un-noticed. Those that are posers stand out like a sore thumb IMO.

I encourage anybody to submit applications to companies and products that they believe in. It could be a great opportunity and open up some doors!

Jager

WKR
Jared, I find it hard to believe that people approach companies to be on their 'Pro' staff, yes, I realise people do. We live in an age where everyone wants to be on the 'A' list, simply to fuel their egos, just got me beat. As someone quiet correctly said in an earlier post, when your lifestyle becomes a chore, it is time to reevaluate.

Some seem to shine in the limelight and do a great job of promoting goods, many though are simply 'try hards'.

If an athlete, and I refer to hunters as athletes, is good enough in their chosen field, they should let their results speak for themselves, and the sponsorship will come knocking, not vice versa, that to me, is just grovelling, my humble opinion off course.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree and understand with what you are saying Jager. But most of us are just regular Joe Hunters and if we don't take care of ourselves who will?

Even if you are the most BA hunter and promoter and you kill the biggest and most things out there and promote yourself positively you will see very few companies come to you and ask you to staff for them. They want people contacting them and telling them what they can do for their company. That builds a better relationship in the companies eyes than if they were to contact someone and ask, "Please join our Pro Staff." It makes them sound desperate, there are thoasands of us out there. But not near as many that promote the right way. They want people who want to promote their products and for them to approach the company. This shows the willingness to do what is needed to help promote. And most often this also means the person is already using their product. (unfortunately not always)

It should never be wanting to know what a company can do for you.....it should be this is what I can do for your company, remember that if you are to send a company your hunting resume to ask for a position.

Taking care of #1 (yourself) is very important. If you wait around for things to happen you may be waiting a long time. Take care of yourself and go after your goals. If you do not do what is needed to fullfil a pro staff obligation you will be told and/or let go if performance doesn't increase. Just the way it works.

Jager

WKR
Good point of view Jarrod, and I hadn't considered it like that.

I have been on testing staff for prototype hunting gear, and for me it became a chore, particularly when some gear didn't meet my expectations.

Each to their own though I guess and I do appreciate and listen to your work, you have great credibility.

muleymemories

Lil-Rokslider
I previously was on a pro-staff for an unnamed company. The free gear was nice, but it went against my morals. I don't want to "have" to use gear that is sometimes sub-par because it was given to me to advertise and promote. I'm out to hunt with equipment that I have bought and tested for myself. I don't have to let anyone down that way, and worry about what I'm wearing when I harvest an animal....:D

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I am not a part of anyones "Pro Staff" and have some questions. With all the tv shows out there it seems like "everyone" is on the band wagon.
I am wondering how many of you are on a pro staff?
What are the advantages to it?
I am guessing not everyone gets free gear?

Proud Prostaffer for Nimrod Backpacks.

Prostaff is challenging and rewarding at the same time. Your basically a brand ambassador for products you prostaff for. Prostaffing is what you make of it. You can make it easy or hard. You can gain financially or just get free Gear. Its all up to you and time and effort you put into. If the product is something your passionate about then its a super easy gig.