problem paper tuning mathews V3

Hi! I have a new mathews V3 and have problem paper tuning it. I have put the rest at 13/16" from the riser at the beginning but my arrow were always having a nock right tear. So I tougth it was my arrow spine so I have switch for a 400 spine instead of a 350(rampage). But the problem still there( nock right tear) Any idea why this is happening I'm starting to be frustrated because of this time consuming and cost from a bow that is suppose to be great

bsnedeker

WKR
So is trying a different spine arrow the only thing you've tried so far?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
Need all bow details, most likely needs top hats adjusted.

With proper grip a compound will shoot several spines of arrows clean!

OP
J

Draw length 29, draw weight 55 at the moment for turkey, hdx ultrarest, arrow clearence

You need to adjust top hats. If you don't have a press you will need to take it back to the shop you purchased it, or another shop, but I'd go back where you got it, and have them help you tune it. It's pretty simple, just requires a press.

Look for this to be moved to the archery forum. That's where you will find your answers. Thought that's where I was.

OP
J
This....... probably going to need a top hat adjustm
You need to adjust top hats. If you don't have a press you will need to take it back to the shop you purchased it, or another shop, but I'd go back where you got it, and have them help you tune it. It's pretty simple, just requires a press.

Look for this to be moved to the archery forum. That's where you will find your answers. Thought that's where I was.
Do they make top hats for the V3? I searched on lancaster archery and they only fit the vxr and other bow but do not specify if it fits the V3

OP
J

I think my grip is fine really. In order to have a bullet hole my rest needs to be all the way to the left. Even then I have a small right tear. I have a bullet hole with both arrow ( the 350 and the 400) .

bsnedeker

WKR
I think my grip is fine really. In order to have a bullet hole my rest needs to be all the way to the left. Even then I have a small right tear. I have a bullet hole with both arrow ( the 350 and the 400) .
You should not be moving your rest in paper tuning, that's what the top hats are for. Moving your rest is a step to take when broadhead tuning.

You really should take your bow to a pro shop. I don't think you understand this process enough to be doing this yourself. Have them explain what they are doing so you can learn how to do it next time. That's my advice anyway.

OP
J
You should not be moving your rest in paper tuning, that's what the top hats are for. Moving your rest is a step to take when broadhead tuning.

You really should take your bow to a pro shop. I don't think you understand this process enough to be doing this yourself. Have them explain what they are doing so you can learn how to do it next time. That's my advice anyway.

I would if I could... Where I live there's no pro shop that paper tune their bow or do a good job they really don't care! The closest one that is okay is at 3h of where I live and even there they do a poor job and don't want to spend too much time on your bow. I made the 3h trip only to be told that i have an almost perfect bullet hole with my arrow rest all the way to the left and that if i want the rest to be at 13/16" from the riser I need a weaker spine arrow wich didn't solved the problem

Jimbob

WKR
In your situation, If you really care about having a perfect tune you need to get a press and learn to do this stuff yourself. Not all shops are big on tuning or even know how to tune so sometimes it's up to you to get what you want. I knew I needed to do this when I received a bow from my local shop with the cams more than 1/2" out of time, he didn't even know what cam timing was and he was a hoyt dealer YIIKES! Since then I have moved and my local shop knows what their doing but I still prefer to do it myself.

I have a portable bow master press with the wide limb adapters for my vertix and I can do everything I need to. I actually changed tophats this spring when I was setting up new arrows and changing the draw weight. Last year the bow tuned perfectly with higher weight and stiffer arrows but this year when I changed things up I needed to change one top hat)

You can find all the info and how to on the internet. There will be some trial and error but you'll figure it out. Keep asking questions as well.

There are so many variables with bows that it is not realistic for every person to just buy a good buy and it be tuned perfectly to their form and arrow choice without going through a tuning process.

You say your grip is good but it might not be, don't just assume. Some very experienced archers have to adjust their grip between different bows to get a perfect tear. Bow grip has a huge effect on arrow flight and grip from bow to bow is different. So don't just assume right away that you're doing everything perfectly.

Get a press and a top hat kit and you should be golden. Here is a screen shot of what you should buy from Lancasters
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 7.55.56 AM.png

dtrkyman

WKR
You technically need to tune your own bow, however a good shop should be extremely helpful!

Wheels

WKR
I’ve got a V3 and had to turn my nocks so I’m shooting cock feather out, always shot with it facing up before, but with the V3 cable guard was getting fletching contact.

MT257

WKR
I’ve got a V3 and had to turn my nocks so I’m shooting cock feather out, always shot with it facing up before, but with the V3 cable guard was getting fletching contact.
Was that due to vane contact or nock tunings?