Problems with Cerakoting

Boreal

WKR
Anyone else ever have this happen? I had a Kimber Ascent dipped and Cerakoted. When I got the rifle back, I could not get it sighted in. It was a 300 yard tack driver when I brought it in, after it was always high, and higher the farther away the target. I racked my limited brain before I finally just started to take it apart to find the problem. When I took the scope rings off there was debris under the front ring. Not enough to be noticeable to a casual look, but enough that the ring was not flush on the receiver. Given that the shop uses a “licensed gunsmith” to disassemble and reassemble the rifle for coating, it was the last thing I expected. I’m off to the range again this weekend to see if that fixes the issue. Just curious if anyone else has experienced something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would check to make sure your action bolts to the stock are torqued to spec. If they are loose you will have consistency issues.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
Its a kimber....did you do all the 101 stuff? They are NOTORIOUS for mag box bind and destruction of accuracy because of it.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If it shot well before, the problem is not Kimber QC. Some other things to check (on top of scope rings and action screws) would be is the barrel still adequately free floated (you just made it slightly larger), does the action still fit well in the stock, and was the mag box installed properly? I would also check that your forward most scope ring screw is not bottoming out on the barrel as the smith might have replaced one.

OP
Boreal

Boreal

WKR
Its a kimber....did you do all the 101 stuff? They are NOTORIOUS for mag box bind and destruction of accuracy because of it.

Did all that when I got the rifle. It was shooting really well out to 300 yards, the longest range I have access to. So I don’t think it’s hose usual issues. I’ll check barrel float, etc, again. But I really hope it was the debris under the front scope ring. Seemed like dried gum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JRMiller

WKR
I would check to make sure your action bolts to the stock are torqued to spec. If they ate loose you will have consistency issues.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
This^
When cerakoting, metal and polymer are baked at different temps so action/barell would have been removed and re-installed.
Even if they are tight, they may be at a diffeent tourqe than previous.
I know some, including myself, that have had to take the torque wrench to the range and gradually tightened the screws and shoot a group between each setting to find the magic tourqe setting for the particular rifle.

OP
Boreal

Boreal

WKR
Resurrecting an old thread, but have an update for those considering hydrodipping and cerakoting a rifle. I finally gave up having done all I could figure to do to get this thing to shoot right. Took it to a gunsmith here in Anchorage, and it took him not long to figure out that there is likely excess paint or water transfer material under the action that is causing stress on the barreled action when the action screws are torqued. You can actually feel the barrel squeezing in to the stock when the forward action screw is tightened. He is going to clean that up and bed the action if needed. Should take care of the problem.

But make sure if you get your rifle dipped or cerakoted that there is not excess material inside the stock, under the action.