Processing/cooking steaks

Zkep

FNG
I was curious what everyone's preference is....as I've been improving in my processing I've been keeping larger chunks of meat together and usually searing or reverse searing with 1-1.5lb steaks as opposed to cooking smaller steaks. It has been working great for deer and antelope (even for round steaks) but this weekend I harvested an elk and I'm curious what the thought is? Particularly for the sirloin and/or rounds, does everyone slice them into thinner steaks before freezing or try to keep it in chunks of 1-1.5lbs to cook and slice up afterwards?

tdot

WKR
I leave everything in large chunks. I can slice it prior to cooking if I want and cook them as steaks, or cook it as a roast. Less opportunity for freezer burn, makes for a quicker processing project, fewer pkgs in the freezer. I've also started to leave silver skin on, then clean the cut of meat after thawing it out, I have more patience to do a better job.

Fordguy

WKR
What Tdot said- unless I'm going to vacuum pack the cutlets and steaks, which I rarely do anymore.

LostArra

WKR
I was curious what everyone's preference is....as I've been improving in my processing I've been keeping larger chunks of meat together and usually searing or reverse searing with 1-1.5lb steaks as opposed to cooking smaller steaks. It has been working great for deer and antelope (even for round steaks) but this weekend I harvested an elk and I'm curious what the thought is? Particularly for the sirloin and/or rounds, does everyone slice them into thinner steaks before freezing or try to keep it in chunks of 1-1.5lbs to cook and slice up afterwards?
^^same here

I like packaging and cooking larger pieces of backstrap then cut into steaks after cooking to insure medium rare/rare. Small thinner cuts are too easy to over-cook with even a small lapse of attention.

Laramie

WKR
Exactly what Tdot said. Leave them in larger chunks if for no other reason than you will have more patience they day you prepare. If you are doing the round steaks, let them sit a room temp for quite a while so you end up with an even temp inside. I like to sear those large cuts in cast iron, then slow cook them in the oven similar to cooking prime rib.

OP
Zkep

Zkep

FNG
Awesome, i appreciate the feedback! Sounds like im going to continue keeping them the way i am. Ive been surprised at how good the round steaks have been after reading through some descriptions. Not sure if its the aging or cooking or if im just getting lucky but they have sure been delicious so far.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I do both. I love having the ability to throw a vacuum sealed pack of steaks in water and have them thawed out in minutes, but also love to do slow smoke on big chunks when I have the time. My wife and I get tedious when butchering. Going down the line based on size the list goes steaks/roast chunks, chops/pan fryers, stir fry chunks, diced street taco meat, burger.

I do some of both, that way I have some steaks to quickly defrost and cook but mostly big chunks so in case I decide to do something else down the road like jerky or a whole roast I still have the option. I’ve been doing my big chunks of elk and deer like a big hunk of backstrap on the traeger at 245 until it gets to 95-100 degrees internal temperature, wrap in foil, crank it all the way up and then unwrap it and quickly sear all sides until its 125 internal temp wrap in foil and in about 10 minutes slice it thin. It turns out perfect med rare and tender.