Processing cost?

I wouldn’t pay $700 but if you hired me to process an elk, I’d charge $800-$1000 for time, knowledge and skill, so there’s that.
i like doing mine and the family's, but if i had to do it all day, every day, i would be a rip-off too ;) between scouting for my wife's elk hunt yesterday and today, i had to cut up the 2 hinds from this year's archery bull. with the fires and being evacuated right after killing my bull in Sept, i had to put both hind quarters in my sis in law's freezer and finally got around to thawing and cutting..... it's a time consuming process, and hard on the back without a good setup.

normally to do a whole elk takes me around 10-12hrs start to finish... i know a butcher will be more efficient and less tedious, but it's still time consuming, especially if backed up in work.

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
I took in 220 pounds of boned out meat, the cost was $400 for burger, jerky, brats, jalapeño cheddar sticks and steaks.
wmd

While we are on processing, does anyone have any good links to videos for DIY? And maybe DIY with some of the fun stuff like sausage and jerky? I've done my own elk, but I'm a boring butcher and just make burger, steaks, and roasts, I'd like to get better and dig deeper with my next elk.

There are quite a few of them on YouTube if you search for them based on what you'd like to make. Jerky is pretty easy to do. Just buy a jerky gun and some seasoning kits - Cabelas are great. Grab some of the ground meat, mix it with the seasonings, let it sit overnight, and then squeeze it through the jerky gun onto racks. You can put those in an oven, dehydrator, or a smoker for the best flavor. Bulk sausage, where you aren't putting it in a casing, is really easy too. Simply a matter of mixing the meat with seasonings and letting it sit overnight, then packaging it up. I do that a lot for Italian and Breakfast Sausage.

When you get into summer sausage or sausage links, things get a little more complicated. You typically need to mix in some fat, season it, and then stuff the casings, which isn't the most fun job in the world. Because of that, I typically just do the jerky and bulk sausage, but if you've got time on your hands, it's not too bad.

coelk81

FNG
WOW,, I have never paid for processing let alone $700? If your a resident and paid a double digit fee, the processing fee is still to high, and if your a NR and paid triple digits for the processing wow. Now planning for expenses is one thing, but for $700 you could buy your own processing equipment, do it yourself learn and still be ahead of the game. Not to mention be ready for future successful hunts.

I’ve tried to stay out of this one but some comments have stirred me up enough that I need to respond. First, I agree that straight processing on an elk shouldn’t be that high. However, I can’t judge what one processor charges over another or why they charge what they charge. There are too many variables to consider. I also get the feeling that other products were made which cost more and the op isn’t saying that.

I processed an elk during the archery hunt that cost over $800. I charge $1.30/lb customer also had 30 lbs of jerky made $6.00/lb, 20 lbs of green chili/cheddar summer sausage $5.50/lb and 12 lbs green chili/cheddar brats $5.50/lb pretty expensive and I warned him and he said “I know” he wasn’t happy with the bill.

Another thing is the comments about processing costs being too high is that people are basically saying that a meat processor doesn’t have the right to make a living, support a family, etc. How would you feel if I went to your boss and tell him that I don’t agree with how much many you make and he needs to cut your paycheck? Or, if you are self employed I tell you that the service you provided for me wasn’t worth it. Your time, knowledge, experience, equipment, etc wasn’t worth anything.

Here’s another point, guys pull up in their 70K diesel truck, kuiu or Sitka gear, 1K plus rifle or bow, $600-$800 + scopes, $500 boots, 2-3k optics, now add in the cost of camping gear, tags, guided hunts or diy. After all that, they complain about the processing bill! Lol

I’m glad I quit processing WG this year after 30 years of doing it commercially.

bsnedeker

WKR
I’ve tried to stay out of this one but some comments have stirred me up enough that I need to respond. First, I agree that straight processing on an elk shouldn’t be that high. However, I can’t judge what one processor charges over another or why they charge what they charge. There are too many variables to consider. I also get the feeling that other products were made which cost more and the op isn’t saying that.

I processed an elk during the archery hunt that cost over $800. I charge $1.30/lb customer also had 30 lbs of jerky made $6.00/lb, 20 lbs of green chili/cheddar summer sausage $5.50/lb and 12 lbs green chili/cheddar brats $5.50/lb pretty expensive and I warned him and he said “I know” he wasn’t happy with the bill.

Another thing is the comments about processing costs being too high is that people are basically saying that a meat processor doesn’t have the right to make a living, support a family, etc. How would you feel if I went to your boss and tell him that I don’t agree with how much many you make and he needs to cut your paycheck? Or, if you are self employed I tell you that the service you provided for me wasn’t worth it. Your time, knowledge, experience, equipment, etc wasn’t worth anything.

Here’s another point, guys pull up in their 70K diesel truck, kuiu or Sitka gear, 1K plus rifle or bow, $600-$800 + scopes, $500 boots, 2-3k optics, now add in the cost of camping gear, tags, guided hunts or diy. After all that, they complain about the processing bill! Lol

I’m glad I quit processing WG this year after 30 years of doing it commercially.
Never understood people complaining about processing costs. With a relatively small investment (compared to what you spend on gear and tags) you can do it all yourself. It takes time and effort and really makes you appreciate the work that real meat processors put in year round. It's a bunch of hours to process an elk and if I ever am running short on time a few hundred bucks to get a guy to cut it and wrap it seems like a hell of a deal to me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

manitou1

WKR
I wouldn't complain about processing costs... unless a processor was blatantly taking advantage of non-locals by charging $700 for a basic butcher.

That is unethical and highway robbery.

The op should have asked what to expect for the price before committing also.

TX_Diver

WKR
Old thread, but just as a single data point, this year I paid $525 to have a bull processed (brought in quartered) and a euro mount done. All just cut/wrap with some ground with beef fat added. No snack sticks or sausages or jerky made or anything like that.

Meat has been great but I’m less impressed with the euro.