Processing elk like these guys.

Anyone every watch these guys? What do you think about their elk cuts? It seems they leave a lot of fat and gristle on the meat. Far more than I do anyways, but they bring to light all the different cuts which is cool.

So, being self taught, I always thought I should get more meat be it from a deer, elk, or antelope but this video brings to light maybe I'm being to conservative. What say you? Like most, I don't like the taste of wild game fat and remove all of it even if I'm grinding.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
I trim every little bit of fat off my game meat. I firmly believe that is why lots of people say they don’t like the way it taste. Many folks don’t mind, but no one can say that it makes it taste better, like a nice fatty cut of prime rib! I save all of the fat a trim and cook it up for my dog. None of it goes to waste.

RCB

WKR
They have a handful of videos. They appear to be professional butchers, very adept with a knife. and seem to know all of the professional-looking cuts.

They always seem to be working with an entire animal. I’ve never had that luxury, so the whole process is different. That being said, I try to take as much meat as I can. I also try to freeze meat in relatively large chunks, where I label the part of the animal. I made an effort to learn the basic structure of the hind leg (sirloin tip, top and bottom round, eye round, etc), so I label that detail. I grind a relatively small proportion of my meat upfront. You can’t ungrind meat.

I doubt I’ll ever do one of those fancy bone-in chops.

keller

WKR
On wild game it's not fat it's tallow. big difference I never put tallow in my meat because it spoils the meat. but i grind in beef fat into my burger.

Terrapin

WKR
I had two of my buddies that are professional meat cutters process one of my elk that I got out whole. Beautiful 2 year old cow. Got it cooled quick and straight into the cooler. Butchered the whole thing in a sterile meat cutting shop. They did beautiful work and for once, a steak looked like a steak and a roast looked like a roast. There was even a standing prime rib roast. It was the worst tasting elk I’ve ever had. I went back to boning them in the woods; then removing every ounce of fat, tallow, sinew, hair, dirt, fly crap, and dried meat on the tailgate of my truck back at camp. Then putting it in fresh game bags and taking it to a cooler and letting the meat cutter do his work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
Tonight...... butter!

Attachments

• F730D61B-6A10-425A-8571-33BA9A876B0A.jpeg
    F730D61B-6A10-425A-8571-33BA9A876B0A.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 118
When I was a kid my family had a butcher saw like his, we did elk with it a few times but then went back to deboning it. Nobody liked the bone in it and the cuts didn't come out as well as deboned. Had a cooler to hang them in too before butchering. I remember 7 or 8 elk hanging in it one year and cut them up over a couple days. Takes a day to debone a nice cow in the garage, cut it up, grind, and package. Don't have to store all that bone in the freezer either.

Did my cow this year starting at 9am with dad helping clean up the scraps for burger and was done wrapping at about 8pm.

BFR

WKR
Rather bone mine, besides it seemed more like an Outdoor Edge commercial to me. Now, I like OE and that’s what I use mostly but I don’t want to see a commercial.

I leave as much (or more) silverskin as they do; I do remove most fat and sinew for storage. The fat caps they leave on seem to be for "presentation purposes" to the masses that expect an elk strip to look like beef based on the last publication they read. He repeatedly points out that the meat is for retail and to look good in the case.

As for the white, I don't worry much about silverskin and I've never had a bad piece of meat while processing an animal in 1/4 the time others I do. I can appreciate their diligence, but I don't understand the benefit and waste of meat trying to get a 99% clean cut.

Clarence

WKR
Made me want a walk in to be able to let stuff hang. Membranes shure pull off nice when you can let meat dry out a little.

LostArra

WKR
The animal in the video is not wild and could be a red deer so maybe the fat tastes different from just eating grass in a pen. I remove elk fat.

I bet the split spine has the prion-phobes running for shelter.

That band saw reminds me of Game Processing class at UWyo in 1974. Best college class ever!
Go Pokes!

Wrench

WKR
We cut a lot of elk and sometimes are lucky enough to do it with whole hanging carcasses. I can't handle the bones.....it most definitely adds a flavor that my tribe doesn't like.

aron

WKR
Made me want a band saw for shanks but that’s about it.

go around the shanks a few times with saran wrap and take a sawzall to it. Saran wrap helps keep the shanks tight to cut through versus the meat tearing and keeps some of the bone fragments off the meat. Unless you are looking for an excuse to buy a band saw :)