Processing prices

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
I just dropped my trimmed bear meat off at a butcher to have it made into 4 different types of sausage. I paid between $3.00 and $4.40 per pound depending on sausage type. I feel like I got a pretty good deal but I have never paid for processing before. At this price I'll likely do it again, assuming it turns out good. What are you all typically paying per pound whether boned and trimmed or whole carcass? Pic is slightly obstructed but I ordered the 20 lb minimum of Italian, breakfast, summer, and the remaining 40 lb. as pep sticks. All of which are links.

Attachments

• D56D7779-2D16-4A1F-9464-B0F578E844F5.jpeg
    D56D7779-2D16-4A1F-9464-B0F578E844F5.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I became a DIY years ago. Prices for processing on deer went out of control and being I am lucky enough to be able to shoot several deer a year, it became cost prohibitive. So, I bought knives and a foodsavor. Then figured out each year what else would make life easier. Now I pretty much have accumulated all the equipment to do just about anything. You can pick up a grinder cheap, a sausage press for a few bucks, and make or buy a smoker. This way, I get the seasonings I like, the quality of the meat is by my hands, and made on my schedule. Bear break down just like a deer, so if you have done a deer you are more than capable of doing a bear

If you were to drop this off in Texas, then this is a good deal. I run a processing plant and we charge a 0.65/lb processing fee for any boneless meat. Our Italian and pan sausage (breakfast sausage) is 3.95/lb, JC summer sausage is 4.95/lb, and snack sticks (probably similar to his pepperoni sticks) are 5.95/lb. Most larger deer processing plants in Texas will be around this.

I have noticed that processing plants in western states are usually cheaper than processing plants in Texas. I think this is mainly due to the volume of deer that get dropped off at processing plants in Texas, meaning there are fewer DIY guys here than in Western states. So Texas plants can get away with charging more.

OP
Z71&Gun

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
I became a DIY years ago. Prices for processing on deer went out of control and being I am lucky enough to be able to shoot several deer a year, it became cost prohibitive. So, I bought knives and a foodsavor. Then figured out each year what else would make life easier. Now I pretty much have accumulated all the equipment to do just about anything. You can pick up a grinder cheap, a sausage press for a few bucks, and make or buy a smoker. This way, I get the seasonings I like, the quality of the meat is by my hands, and made on my schedule. Bear break down just like a deer, so if you have done a deer you are more than capable of doing a bear
I do everything myself normally, Just not cased sausage. Only because I've never had home made sausage that was anywhere near as good as the pros'. I butcher all my own animals, have a smoker, make jerky, bone broth, all that. I'm just intimidated by the links because I've seen so many failed attempts. The prices I listed were for meat that was already boned out, trimmed and totally clean. I don't think I'd ever want to hand over bone-in meat if I can help it because I doubt someone at work will be as meticulous as me having just shot and carried it.

I do everything myself normally, Just not cased sausage. Only because I've never had home made sausage that was anywhere near as good as the pros'. I butcher all my own animals, have a smoker, make jerky, bone broth, all that. I'm just intimidated by the links because I've seen so many failed attempts. The prices I listed were for meat that was already boned out, trimmed and totally clean. I don't think I'd ever want to hand over bone-in meat if I can help it because I doubt someone at work will be as meticulous as me having just shot and carried it.
totally agree

Those are decent prices, but give it a shot. Biggest issue, I think, with much of the homemade folk are they do too large of a batch. that seems to create shortcuts and inconsistent product.

as with anything the big hurdle is sourcing the time to do it