Processor recommendation Evergreen - Conifer CO

Moved up to Conifer last year. I do nearly all of my own meat processing, but this year with the kids schedules for sports and everything else I was contemplating sending a doe off to the processor for summer sausage and processed meats. Does anyone have a recommendation for a meat processor in Evergreen, Conifer, Pine, Bailey? Bonus points if they do dry sausage.

jayhawk

WKR
Steve's Meat Market is in Denver. They're pricey, but I've never seen or heard of a better processor/butcher

Carlin59

WKR
Letting someone else touch my meat (haha) was anathema for years, until I had kids. Last couple of years I have done all my primal cut butchering, but saved all scraps in several large tubs in the freezers. End of the year, I have taken 30-50lbs of scrap (Multiple animals mixed together) to Steve’s Meat Market in Old Town Arvada. Let them mess with all of the sausage mixes, salami, etc. Really happy with the mix of primary butchering on me, but bulk scrap converted to good stuff by Steve’s.

Carlin59

WKR
Added bonus of: sharing with friends and neighbors seems to be better received when it comes from a “professional “ butcher shop. I like to share with the neighbors when I have a good season, so may or may not be worth considering

Carlin59

WKR
Are you confident with Steve’s you are actually getting your meat?
Not 100% confident that the links/ brats/sausage I get back is 100% my meat. But I feel more confident in the overall processing procedures utilized compared to similar supermarket meats for roughly the same price per pound. Ex. The “old style franks” (hot dogs) from Steve’s are far more appealing than anything at king soopers for a negligible price difference. The main cuts never leave my freezer/coolers, but I’ve been happy with the results of my bulk scrap the past few years outsourcing to Steve’s.

Carlin59

WKR
Also, I’ve used the “drop off day” and “pick up day” as excuses to “work remotely” from Denver Beer Co across the street. Nice little bonus 😂

WTFJohn

WKR
Are you confident with Steve’s you are actually getting your meat?

You'll get your own solid meat back, meaning steaks/roasts/etc. Anything ground is going to be hit and miss, and for jerky I'd say low chance. I've had them do quite a few animals and was happy with the result (usually, I feel sometimes they are too aggressive on trimming meat). I have heard some shitty stories lately though, and even my last year living down there I was actively looking for another processor due to wanting to get 100% my meat back.

CoStick

WKR
You'll get your own solid meat back, meaning steaks/roasts/etc. Anything ground is going to be hit and miss, and for jerky I'd say low chance. I've had them do quite a few animals and was happy with the result (usually, I feel sometimes they are too aggressive on trimming meat). I have heard some shitty stories lately though, and even my last year living down there I was actively looking for another processor due to wanting to get 100% my meat back.
I do my own now, used a place east of Denver prior. I had one deer done at Steve’s about 6 years ago and I didn’t feel like I got my animal back, so switched. Nothing wrong with quality just was pretty confident I was eating someone else’s animal.

ShakeDown

WKR
I like Steve’s fine, but recently I’ve been using Lucas at the Meat Cleaver. They do a good job.

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
Denver Beer Co has been gone for a while... I stopped using Steve's when I saw them take in an ungutted bloated mule deer out of the back of a BMW sedan, wrapped in a tarp. I was right behind the guy and was surprised they accepted it. I asked about the getting my meat back and they flat out told me "You will get the weight back that you turn in, but are not getting back specifically only your meat with any ground product." I was suspicious of the quick turnaround the first time I used them. I turned around and took it elsewhere... Not to be a debbie downer, but I have had bad luck at every other place close to west Denver too. I am just doing my own from here on out unless I hear some rave reviews.

Carlin59

WKR
Denver Beer Co has been gone for a while... I stopped using Steve's when I saw them take in an ungutted bloated mule deer out of the back of a BMW sedan, wrapped in a tarp. I was right behind the guy and was surprised they accepted it. I asked about the getting my meat back and they flat out told me "You will get the weight back that you turn in, but are not getting back specifically only your meat with any ground product." I was suspicious of the quick turnaround the first time I used them. I turned around and took it elsewhere... Not to be a debbie downer, but I have had bad luck at every other place close to west Denver too. I am just doing my own from here on out unless I hear some rave reviews.
DBC is still open right across the street from Steve’s, but that’s disappointing about the bloated buck. Was that a while ago? I’ve seen them be pretty judicious the past few years with what they would/wouldn’t accept. Saw them toss a full hind elk quarter due to bone sour (to be honest, I probably would have tried to save something off it).

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
DBC is still open right across the street from Steve’s, but that’s disappointing about the bloated buck. Was that a while ago? I’ve seen them be pretty judicious the past few years with what they would/wouldn’t accept. Saw them toss a full hind elk quarter due to bone sour (to be honest, I probably would have tried to save something of
I'm not sure how I missed that. DBC used to be on the corner at 57th, coffee shop moved in. Didn't realize they opened down the street.

The bloated buck was in 2020.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Man I’ll tell you after doing my own I’ll never let another man touch my meat.