Processors in Anchorage

So tried taking a look but nothing stood out. Looking at using a Processor in Anchorage to get (hopefully) 3 Caribou processed this year and shipped back to the lower 48. Saw some stuff about AK Sausage, but is there another one anyone would recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
My mind is numb this morning but there is a good processor down toward Girdwood. I believe it's Indian Valley Meats.

Last I knew, Alaska Sausage mixes everyone's meat together when making sausage.

mooster

WKR
10th & M can process sometimes same day, flash freeze, and store.

Alaska Trophy Express can pick up and deliver to points in lower 48. This year I think one ANC pick up is from 10th & M.

Last edited:

duchntr

WKR
Id direct you to Indian Valley over Ak Sausage & Seafood, those are the only 2 Ive had experience with with though.

Indian Valley makes a lot of different stuff, isn’t cheap, but is very good. It’s also a little out of the way, about 25 miles south of Anchorage. If you’re just looking for cuts, burger, and some basic sausage like Italian and breakfast, then C and J Meats is it. They vacuum seal everything, in very thick/durable bags, that don’t rupture as you shuffle through it in your freezer over the next year, they do a great job with the limited stuff they do, they’re quick and convenient (about 2 miles down the road from the international airport), and they charge $1.50/lb. for everything, regardless of what you have done. They’re super good guys (Charlie the owner and Doug), super clean, and you’re guaranteed to get your meat.
0dfead3afd681ec865045c6d862c6c58.jpg

63d1770352ccb0f89e5a7df2fa596b3e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
If you can get your meat processed before you leave it's a chunk cheaper to send your meat back in your luggage than paying a transporter! I've had great luck with Alaska Airlines.

Bambistew

WKR
My last two experiences with Indian Valley included... 6 weeks to grind and wrap burger from clean trim... the second time it took them nearly 3 months, and 1 in 3 packages tasted like rotten azzholes or rutted up caribou, you pick. Both times it was 2 moose worth of trim (400ish pounds) just to grind and wrap. I have since bought a big grinder and do it all myself, and more importantly don't shoot two moose at a time. haha

I had great luck with Glenn's Wild game processing a few other times, he was fast and did a good job. But he fills up fast and will turn people away.

I would suggest figuring out logistics and bringing it back with you on the plane and get it taken care of at home. The shipping will be very expensive otherwise, about $2.50-$3lb plus the packing and handling they will charge on top of that. $4/lb wouldn't be out of the question. Boned out a caribou is maybe 100lbs of meat. Some hotels have freezer space, and there are other places to rent it. A couple coolers frozen solid or pack with dry ice will put you home in good shape, and cost you $100 or so.

Good luck on your hunt!

I've taken small amounts (20lbs or so) to AK Sausage and Seafood and Indian Valley. The product tasted fine. I won't be returning to AK S&S. I will continue to bring black bear meat to Indian Valley though for them to make game bacon! That's as much as I'll do.

Our family business was a meat processing shop when I was growing up. I didn't know there were actually places that grouped everyone's meat together until I got out into the real world and saw it on forums. It absolutely blows my mind that places can get away with it. I almost threw my stuff from AK S&S away when I heard it could have came from anyone's dirty garage.

If you really want to process it here, throw a name in a hat and draw it; they all have horror stories (I will say AK troutbum always has solid advice and an honest reputation so I would take a strong look at his recommendation!). As mentioned above, I personally would bone it all out and place it in ziplocs/contractor bags in cheap $20 coolers from wal mart and then find a hotel with a freezer. Check them as bags and get them home to do yourself or take to someone you know and trust. It will probably be cheaper and you know what to expect. I hate to send business away from AK, but I hate wasted meat more. We bring several coolers full of frozen meat back to the midwest every year and in every month and it will stay frozen for 18-24 hours in them cheap coolers even in the dead of July.

Last edited:

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I suggest calling Glen’s Wildgame Process as well. As stated, he can get full so have a backup. I’ve also taken caribou and moose down to Indian Valley Meats and have had good luck. I’d never take a full animal to AK Sausage and Seafood but will take 20-30 lbs in for their hot dogs.

I’ve read horror stories about all the processors, except probably Glen’s. Seams like they can all get backed up and screw up someone’s meat. I’ve been lucky so far but have done the majority of my own processing the past few years.

Ray

WKR
I have used Glenn's a few times. Early in the season, before the moose start showing up in mid September, he can get a caribou in and out in 48 hours as long as you just want it cut/ground and wrapped. It will be frozen when you pick it up. I don't know if he would take on the additional task of shipping it for you. All of his cooked sausage products are made by Indian Valley the last time I checked. Takes an extra month or two to be made. His breakfast sausage and chorizo are wonderful.

My friends who have used C and J's meats twice. Great service and price. Will even arrange for after hours drop off and pickup. Don't know if they would take on shipping.

I regularly buy Indian Valley product in the stores. I will never send my own meat to them again. A lot of money and my physical effort were spent for a product that the dog wouldn't even try to eat. We could not eat it and it all ended up in the dump.

If you are flying all the way home on a single airline, it might be the cheapest way to to go and pay for extra baggage. If you are changing airlines during the trip, you will probably end up with doubled up baggage fees. This would make FedEx shipping frozen meat probably the cheapest option. There are a couple of FedEx/Kinko's business centers in Anchorage that have the facilities to ship frozen fish and game.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Alaska sausage and seafood is good for sending smoked salmon gift baskets down south but other than that, I’d skip them.

Indian valley does good work, had a moose done there before when I was in a serious pinch for time.

Firemedic710

Lil-Rokslider
Had a moose done at Bear mountain meats in Palmer last year. Great prices, you get your animal back, everything is vacuum sealed and He had mine done in 2 days. I’m not sure if ships but it’s worth a call.