Procuring Rifle Ammo

I am not at all tied into the hunting rifle scene as I personally just bowhunt. What little bit I do know about rifle hunting comes from taking my teenage girls deer hunting. They both love it and this year we are planning on hunting WY antelope. The problem is I need to get them plenty of trigger time to try to increase their effective range out to 250-300 yards. This is not easy when you can't find ammo. We have shot Hornady American Whitetail for a few years and it works great, but I have been unable to find it. I know....not a shock, but my question is should I just wait it out a little longer and hope I am able to score a few boxes or should I look for any serviceable ammo and go from there? I don't know anything about this ammo shortage game so looking for some guidance from those that are much more in the know than in I am.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Not sure what caliber you’re looking for but I’m starting to see more ammo pop up and the big box stores. Might be worth dropping in if you have one nearby.

Otherwise, as stated earlier, ammoseek.com is a good start.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
… good advice above, but I’ll add that you should buy whatever you can find in quantity. Don’t mismatch, as point of impact changes will only lead to frustration…. Don’t overlook the Hornady “Match” ammo, as the ELDM bullet is great on antelope, etc.

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
243 has been weird during the current "panic" and its either abundant or completely gone. My wife and daughter both shoot it.

Ammoseek has some currently, both Federal "PowerShok" in 100gr and Hornady "Whitetail" in 100gr. you may need to sort the search results to find them.

WCB

WKR
I would personally by something to hold you over and of course keep looking for your preferred load and by it when available. Trigger time is trigger time and a quick "rezero" of the rifle is not a big deal. You also may discover a load that shoots better than your current load. ALso, for Antelope Any .243 bullet will do the job so IMO you are not constrained by on target performance.

Mt Al

WKR
Have also used ammoseek, VERY helpful and now I have what I need. I also check Scheels whenever I'm going to be near one of their stores.

OP
B
What bullet is a good option? I e bowhuntered for 30+ years but literally know nothing about bullets.

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
Gunbroker… look under ammo section… they have lots from all different vendors and individuals
I like accubond type bullet for all my families different calibers

def90

WKR
I'm going to kind of go against the grain here.. If you want your daughters to get in some practice buy the cheapest stuff you can find. Don't bother trying to sight in to the ammo you are using for practice and here's why.. it's a waste of time.

The point of practice is to learn trigger control and mostly get them used to shooting. Leave your scope where it is at for the ammo you usually use. What will happen of course when they shoot the cheap stuff is that it may shoot a little high and to the right or a little low and to the left or whatever, doesn't matter. The point of the exercise is to develop the ability to shoot a good group. Always aim at the bullseye, the group may be shifted down and to the right but if you always aim at the bullseye you should still shoot a tight offset group. Use this time to work on trigger control drills. Hand them the rifle with a round loaded and randomly hand them the rifle with an empty chamber, don't let them know what condition it is in. Let them shoot, when they hit the empty chamber you will immediately see any flinching, pulling or whatever. Let them do a bunch of dry fire shots so they get used to a smooth trigger pull and the trigger/sear breaking, do this until they don't move a muscle other than their finger then hand them a loaded rifle again and play the empty chamber game again until you can do it and they are no longer flinching and pulling the shot.

Work the flinch out of them and work on getting good groups. When hunting season gets near buy the good ammo that you always use for hunting and then make sure your scope is dialed in.

OP
B
I'm going to kind of go against the grain here.. If you want your daughters to get in some practice buy the cheapest stuff you can find. Don't bother trying to sight in to the ammo you are using for practice and here's why.. it's a waste of time.

The point of practice is to learn trigger control and mostly get them used to shooting. Leave your scope where it is at for the ammo you usually use. What will happen of course when they shoot the cheap stuff is that it may shoot a little high and to the right or a little low and to the left or whatever, doesn't matter. The point of the exercise is to develop the ability to shoot a good group. Always aim at the bullseye, the group may be shifted down and to the right but if you always aim at the bullseye you should still shoot a tight offset group. Use this time to work on trigger control drills. Hand them the rifle with a round loaded and randomly hand them the rifle with an empty chamber, don't let them know what condition it is in. Let them shoot, when they hit the empty chamber you will immediately see any flinching, pulling or whatever. Let them do a bunch of dry fire shots so they get used to a smooth trigger pull and the trigger/sear breaking, do this until they don't move a muscle other than their finger then hand them a loaded rifle again and play the empty chamber game again until you can do it and they are no longer flinching and pulling the shot.

Work the flinch out of them and work on getting good groups. When hunting season gets near buy the good ammo that you always use for hunting and then make sure your scope is dialed in.
Both of them are very good shots from 125-150 and in. Where we hunt there is just no need to shoot any farther. Normally you can't shoot to even 100 yards.

What you are saying makes a lot of sense. As long as I can get them to understand it doesn't matter where they are hitting on the target with this ammo, just hit in the same spot.

Esq

FNG
Norma has a new Webstore with very good prices on some of the standard calibers. I recently bought 10-boxes of 130g softpoint 270 for $25 per with free shipping. Heck, Norma brass new is almost that same price.

Rich M

WKR
243 is scarce around here.

If you need a shooting rifle you can get 223/556 for target practice and buy what 243 you can get to save it for hunting.

During shortages i dont shoot much. Not gonna waste perfectly good hunting ammo to punch holes. Switch over to pellet gun, 22, or whatever i have excess ammo in.