Programs that don’t need gym access or weights

Jimss

WKR
The closer your workout is to representing the country, elevation, etc that you will be hunting the better chance you'll be in shape for your particular hunt. The more time you spend hiking steep terrain and sidehills with weight on your back the better chance your feet, ankles, legs, shoulders, and back will be used to those particular movements with the loads you are carrying.

I'm fortunate to live and work in the outdoors in Colorado where my workout is actually hiking hills just about every day for my job. I had a bighorn tag this past summer so spent weekends hiking at timberline to get my lungs in "altitude" shape.

My word of advice is to get outside and workout.....forget weights and machines if you can! Use your imagination to do the same thing you'll be doing while hunting! Instead of driving to a gym....drive to the outside of town and hit the hills!

bhartman

FNG
Are there any good programs out there to get you ready for the mountain that don’t need a gym and weights? Or need very little? Thanks

I bought a sandbag from brute force to get in quick workouts around the house. Some of the WODs are humbling

mp12

FNG
If you have something to hang them from, you can get an excellent workout from gymnastic rings. You can get a full upper body workout with them.

Be warned that they can put some serious stress on joints and ligaments and have to be worked into more slowly than weights. Chris Sommer has some excellent information for people getting started using them.

I do this routine every single day (sometimes not all at once) and it has helped my whole body fitness incredibly. Jumprope for 2 mins then 25 burpees. Go through that 4 times. Its a great workout that gets you sweating quick and uses your whole body. 8 mins of cardio jumprope total and 100 burpees. Doing that every day makes a tremendous difference in overall health after a few weeks.

slivver71

FNG
I've been doing body weight exercises since Covid started and am hooked now. I Cancelled my gym membership and don't even miss weights now.

Brendan

WKR
Pushups, pullups, planks, flutter kicks, leg blasters (Look 'em up - they work), 100# sandbag for front squats, cleans, etc. Then throw in Mountain Biking, Hill Sprints, and rucking.

I do have some free weights and bands at home to do one armed rows, then lightweight shoulder raises, presses, etc: Bad shoulder I need to stay ahead of.