Progress question

On 3-1-2020 I was 6-2, 285 pounds. Today I am 6-2, and 223 pounds. I have no doubt I am making progress, but still no where near where I should be. My goal was 220 for this hunting season, and I dont see why this years goal should not be met.

Today, I did a 2.5 mile walk (flatter than the mountains, but not table top flat) with most my hunting gear (40ish pounds) plus about 25 pounds so a total of roughly 65 pounds. It took me 41 minutes.. I was not really tired or anything at the end, but just for my goal setting, what should that hike take me? Obviously there are a ton of variables, but im looking for ballparks.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
I would strive for quicker than your last time, or going longer. I find a longer distance makes for a better work out than a quicker time.
Congrats to you, that is an awesome achievement in a short amount of time!

OP
I would strive for quicker than your last time, or going longer. I find a longer distance makes for a better work out than a quicker time.
Congrats to you, that is an awesome achievement in a short amount of time!

Thanks. The key to losing weight that fast is start off being so fat you cant tie your own shoes. The first 50 pounds came off in no time.

On flat ground here, SC piedmont, with 60# pack I do 4 to 5 miles a hike...I like to average under 18 min a mile...its also in the 90s with 80% humidity this time of year here....Just focus on being better than yesterday and keep at it.

PEWIV

FNG
If you can find a local high school with tall bleachers, it’s a great way to test your stamina. If you’re like me elevation gains are hard to find. I have found that’s the best way to train with a pack because you get the effects of going up and down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Personally I do not think how long one hike takes is as important as what you feel like after doing that same hike for 5 days straight.

Plus I would watch out for walking fast while carrying weight because it can cause heel strike which is bad for your joints. I stay in the 2.2 to 2.6 mph range with short steps and land at least flat footed if not on the balls of my feet. Treadmill set @ a decent incline is ideal for training.

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
Some awesome answers here.

On relatively flat ground with that weight, I would be dang happy with that pace. But as some others have said, speed can lead to injury, and I would be more concerned about being able to hit it hard day after day after day. That’s part fitness and part sleep/recovery.

Keep killin it. I would hunt with someone like you.

OP
Are you monitoring your heart rate to get it into the correct zone for your goals?

I never have.

Since this post, I have lengthened my trips a bit, and am at 5 miles. To be honest, I notice a big difference in how tired I am at 5 miles than I was 2.5. I did learn a bit about loading my pack. My first 5 mile hike I felt as if my right solder was going to break because it was not square on me. My last 5 mile trip my shoulder hurt, but not enough to detour me. I have a bob marshal pack, and I may try and rig a way of getting my gun (heaviest part of the pack at 12 pounds loaded with scope) centered. The overall weight is not an issue, the off center is a huge issue. I guess mabye its time to look at these light weight rifles.

At the 5 mile mark I am at 90 minutes, so an 18 minute mile.

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
18 minute pace over uneven ground is good. I’m happy with a 15 minute pace on paved ground in training, so it’s reasonable that uneven or hilly ground slow the pace to 18 mins.

I would look into a lighter rifle. In the past, when working on my fitness, I would set a goal, and once I achieved it, time for a new toy.

OP
My 18 minute time is not on "rough" country. Its a gravel road, with pretty big hills.

I kind of did the same thing. I'm from Indiana, and I've been trying to talk friends into doing backpack hunts with me for years. I'm about 2 months shy of the big 40, so I'm not getting any younger. My "weight lose gift" is Im going to start doing solo hunts a few times a year. To be honest, I am not losing weight to be healthy, or live longer. Im doing it to hunt, I couldnt care less if I was 300 LBS if it were not for hunting. I know if I dont go on a few hunts a year I will loose motivation, and be right back to fat.