Progression?

General question or thought or maybe stubbornness! In my head being from and hunting east of the Mississippi and wanting a western hunt, I think I should progress up to a elk hunt. My first trip I am researching for antelope and muley, not that they are easier in their own right. Maybe, I think those skills learned would certainly prepare me for a elk hunt, or should I just jump into an elk. To the guys that live out there and are normalized to that type of hunting, I am sure it is confusing when the guys from the east have no clue where to start but we really don’t or at least I don’t anyway. So I guess that’s my question either jump in or progress? Either way I crave the adventure and scenery. Just curious on other’s thoughts.

L.M._Rog

FNG
Much like you I’m from the East and longed for the adventure of heading West. I had thought about heading out several years ago but something always came up and finally went on my first archery elk DIY hunt in 2019. Afterwards I figured I’d put too much emphasis on the “should I / can I” and truly wish I had done it sooner. If your able bodied then go, you’ll be glad you did and will look forward to the next just as I do now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
Much like you I’m from the East and longed for the adventure of heading West. I had thought about heading out several years ago but something always came up and finally went on my first archery elk DIY hunt in 2019. Afterwards I figured I’d put too much emphasis on the “should I / can I” and truly wish I had done it sooner. If your able bodied then go, you’ll be glad you did and will look forward to the next just as I do now.

I often wonder if I am over thinking it and after my first experience I will probably agree that I have.

4rcgoat

WKR
General question or thought or maybe stubbornness! In my head being from and hunting east of the Mississippi and wanting a western hunt, I think I should progress up to a elk hunt. My first trip I am researching for antelope and muley, not that they are easier in their own right. Maybe, I think those skills learned would certainly prepare me for a elk hunt, or should I just jump into an elk. To the guys that live out there and are normalized to that type of hunting, I am sure it is confusing when the guys from the east have no clue where to start but we really don’t or at least I don’t anyway. So I guess that’s my question either jump in or progress? Either way I crave the adventure and scenery. Just curious on other’s thoughts.
You need to GO!! Dont think for one minute that you cant pull this off,its really not as hard as you might think,you have to prepare yourself but that is a given.......their just elk.
"Life's a dance,you learn as you go"

L.M._Rog

FNG
Just go! you’ll be glad you did, best decision I made and regret not having done it sooner.

LaHunter

WKR
Hunting mule deer can help 'train' you to some degree prior to hunting elk, but it sorta depends on where and how you hunt (archer vs rifle, high country vs lower sage country, public vs private). I don't think it will really train you to hunt elk specifically, but you will learn how to get around in the mountains, learn how out of shape you are, learn how the altitude will kick your ass regardless how conditioned you think you are, help you learn what gear is useful and what gear is dead weight, help with your travel logistics planning, etc, etc, etc. With all of that said, you can also learn all of that by just jumping in and doing it, sorta like jumping in the deep end of the pool to learn how to swim.

def90

WKR
Archery? Rifle? Big difference.

Just finished my mule deer season, could have bagged 7 of them (with the smallest being a large dropped belly 3x3) if I was rifle hunting but alas I had an archery tag. My closest stalk got me about 60yds away before I got busted. Was tons of fun and plenty of action, Compared to my archery elk season this year where I didn't even see an elk, I smelled them a few times but that was as close as I got.

You are learning skills doing either though they can be a bit different. If you want to hunt elk just go and do it.

Elkangle

WKR
If you want elk then don't waist your time on deer or lopes....go elk hunting !! Don't wait...go....fall forward...make mistakes...learn from them and keep moving

Always go...tomorrow isn't guaranteed

Mt Al

WKR
Another recommendation to just GO! Git yer back side out West! If YOU feel like you'd like to dip your toe in first, get an OTC doe tag, antelope in WY, whatever and come out and have a ball, bring a fishing rod and shotgun for upland game (highly underrated addition to big game). If YOU feel like jumping right in with archery elk, just do it, live, learn and come back and it will get better every year. You can't go wrong either way.

OP
F
Appreciate the advice. I have a vision in my head of what I am wanting to experience. I want to hike up set basecamp. Glass and stalk with my rifle. Anything I get would be a trophy to me. I am not interested in a guided hunt. I want the sense of accomplishment for myself. I’m not discounting a guided hunt by any means but I want to do it myself. I’ve always been stubborn like that.

SWOHTR

WKR
Just go and do it. Find a state where you can hunt elk and deer with a rifle at the same time.

Just go do it.

brsnow

WKR
Appreciate the advice. I have a vision in my head of what I am wanting to experience. I want to hike up set basecamp. Glass and stalk with my rifle. Anything I get would be a trophy to me. I am not interested in a guided hunt. I want the sense of accomplishment for myself. I’m not discounting a guided hunt by any means but I want to do it myself. I’ve always been stubborn like that.
DIY is the way to go and you will have fun.

zacattack

WKR
Just go.

woods89

WKR
From my experience, if you want to hunt elk, start hunting elk.

If you want to practice some skills that will help, start backpacking back home, and break down and pack out a few whitetails so that you're familiar with the process.

Michael54

WKR
The sooner you do it the better. Eventually it will get to the point where tags are priced out of a lot of peoples budget. Also every year you wait is a year you could have learned something or created a memory instead of a year of wishing.

Elkangle

WKR
The sooner you do it the better. Eventually it will get to the point where tags are priced out of a lot of peoples budget.

This is a reality...heritage is out and making money is in...and the states love money...Idaho and CO was the last hold outs and now ID finally caved...realistically your looking at your last few years of being able to easily obtain tags...if we get more then a few consider it a bonus

Good luck !!!

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
Don't overthink it. Elk is NOT many times harder than any other species like a lot of people will try to tell you. Find a state, then the unit, and full send it. Don't get in the weeds with gear either. Buy what you can afford, toughen your feet up, get your lungs used to burning, find a partner that can share in the experience, and have an absolute blast. Don't waste another year debating on if you should go. There is an expiration to being able to physically elk hunt, so don't waste anymore time. PM me if you have questions, comments, or concerns on who, what, when, where, and why. I lived in the Southeast for 29 years before i finally got into elk hunting, and I didn't have anyone to help me out, so reach out if you need anything.