Progression?

OP
F
Thanks I really appreciate it. In my line of work I stay in decent shape and packing and hiking isn’t a concern for me. What is a concern for me is elevation. As in it’s almost sea level and flat here and I have no way to train to account for elevation. I will definitely be in touch with you. Another issue is a good hunting partner for such a trip. Again like you I am clueless. Thanks man a bunch.

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks I really appreciate it. In my line of work I stay in decent shape and packing and hiking isn’t a concern for me. What is a concern for me is elevation. As in it’s almost sea level and flat here and I have no way to train to account for elevation. I will definitely be in touch with you. Another issue is a good hunting partner for such a trip. Again like you I am clueless. Thanks man a bunch.
If you want to try out "Western" hunting, you can always come out to WA state in the late summer/early fall and i'll take you bear hunting out in the Cascades. Lots of elevation, beautiful country, and one hell of a fun hunt. It's a great trip to see what gear works, and what gear you need to replace.

OP
F
If you want to try out "Western" hunting, you can always come out to WA state in the late summer/early fall and i'll take you bear hunting out in the Cascades. Lots of elevation, beautiful country, and one hell of a fun hunt. It's a great trip to see what gear works, and what gear you need to replace.
That sounds awesome. I might take you up on that. I have Kansas bow hunt planned for 2021. A bear hunt in the cascades definitely sounds interesting. I don’t think I can PM yet or just to dumb to figure it out.

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
That sounds awesome. I might take you up on that. I have Kansas bow hunt planned for 2021. A bear hunt in the cascades definitely sounds interesting. I don’t think I can PM yet or just to dumb to figure it out.
No worries. Just PM'd you to get it started.

def90

WKR

All you need to know is to take it easy. You are going to want to get out there and hit it hard, don't do it, take it easy so that you don't burn yourself out on the first day. If you are hiking at a rate where you have to stop to catch your breath or you are drowning in sweat then you are hiking too fast. One step at a time. You should still be able to talk while walking/hiking, if you can't, slow down. If you take your time and hike at a pace where you are not burning yourself out you will find that you will get stronger with each day vs the opposite. Oh yeah, drink water and make sure that your sleeping gear allows you to get a solid night of sleep.

Coues123

FNG
Having grown up living and hunting in the west and then ended up in South Texas for a few years, your concern for altitude is well founded.
IMO cardio is what it is all about.
On the flip side to your progression, I ended up in Georgia on 150 acre peanut farm, sitting on a ladder with a boat swivel seat for 3 days. I always say my training should have been as follows, face the couch to the window, turn off all the lights after dark and stare out the window for 4 hours. I'll take the worst day at 10,000 feet with a 90# pack over a day in a stand anytime. I did end up with a nice buck and will give credit to those who can hunt from a stand.

Traveler

WKR
General question or thought or maybe stubbornness! In my head being from and hunting east of the Mississippi and wanting a western hunt, I think I should progress up to a elk hunt. My first trip I am researching for antelope and muley, not that they are easier in their own right. Maybe, I think those skills learned would certainly prepare me for a elk hunt, or should I just jump into an elk. To the guys that live out there and are normalized to that type of hunting, I am sure it is confusing when the guys from the east have no clue where to start but we really don’t or at least I don’t anyway. So I guess that’s my question either jump in or progress? Either way I crave the adventure and scenery. Just curious on other’s thoughts.
Jump in. You will still need to progress but do it hunting the animal you want. If you can land nav you can hunt the west. If you can’t you have 8+ months to learn.

Marble

WKR
Mule deer and antelope won’t prepare you for elk.
I totally agree with this. The hunting is not the same. Behavior is different. I do not hunt the same at all. They can be in the same general area, but not usually the same hillsides.

If you want to hunt elk. Go hunt them and learn.

What you can learn is a general area, woodsmanship, gear choices etc. Other things you haven't experienced.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Worst case scenario you get to go camping and you do a bunch of day hikes with a weapon in your hands. Best case.......you end up shooting one. There's still a whole lot of learning and fun going on either way. To me, that's easier than an elk hunter heading east and trying to figure out eastern deer hunting.