Projected gear

dotman

WKR
I haven't used a platy but that is because I only use MSR, they are the tank of bladders and not that expensive. You will have to buy a seperate hydration kit for the dromedary line.

Lawnboi

WKR
I haven't used a platy but that is because I only use MSR, they are the tank of bladders and not that expensive. You will have to buy a seperate hydration kit for the dromedary line.

The dromedary + hose kit is probably the best combo iv found as far as hydration bladders go. They make lots of sizes, and 2 different weight bladders.

The drom lite is there lighter of the 2, still tougher than any other bladder iv tried.

The regular dromedary bladder is bullet proof! Made of 1000d cordura.

Both of these can be used with a hose kit, or when in camp you can put on the cap and use it as a spout, which is nice.

I always carry a Nalgene with me and that's how my bladders are always filled.

A lot of people use the platy bladders and do so without problem. Im just stating my experience with them. A few failed over time because of stress cracks, a few got holes in them (at a very bad time) from simply gently setting them on the ground. Its never fun when your bladder fails you, especially when your 2 miles away from the nearest clean water source.

Beastmode

WKR
The dromedary + hose kit is probably the best combo iv found as far as hydration bladders go. They make lots of sizes, and 2 different weight bladders.

The drom lite is there lighter of the 2, still tougher than any other bladder iv tried.

The regular dromedary bladder is bullet proof! Made of 1000d cordura.

Both of these can be used with a hose kit, or when in camp you can put on the cap and use it as a spout, which is nice.

I always carry a Nalgene with me and that's how my bladders are always filled.

A lot of people use the platy bladders and do so without problem. Im just stating my experience with them. A few failed over time because of stress cracks, a few got holes in them (at a very bad time) from simply gently setting them on the ground. Its never fun when your bladder fails you, especially when your 2 miles away from the nearest clean water source.

Lawnboi can you get attachments to fill these while still in you pack? Like an adaptor kit? I use a katedyn vario filter.

dotman

WKR
Lawnboi can you get attachments to fill these while still in you pack? Like an adaptor kit? I use a katedyn vario filter.[/QUOTE

I don't use the Kat but do believe it's adapter will fit all hydration lines. I think Aron has this setup with his dromedary bag but I could be wrong.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Those MSR bladders do look like they are built like tanks. Would be a good addition to my arsenal. My dad looked through the Viper HD's, 10x42's today and said they looked amazing. He checked out the Viper HD 20-60x80 and said it looked huge. He said that it would take up my whole pack. Any ideas?

Lawnboi

WKR
Lawnboi can you get attachments to fill these while still in you pack? Like an adaptor kit? I use a katedyn vario filter.

Through the hose, yea just like any other hose, you just need to buy the adapter. Camelbak makes a good adapter to replace your bite valve to allow you to do this.

Beastmode

WKR
I looked through the vipers when I was shopping for new glass this year. For the price I think they are great optics! The 80mm viper is HUGE though. I would definitely get the viper hd or talon hd binos. Have you talked to elknut1 yet. You might be able to be really close to that $1k for glass range with the viper or talons and a 50 razor hd spotter. Just a thought.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Dotman
I am going to be using for backpacking and in my truck. Basically backpacking though. I recently switched from 8x32's to the 10x42 and I could tell a huge difference. What is your opinion on why the 32's? Also, I have wanted to check out the razor HD. Is the 50 enough to give me the detail to see gender of the species. I realize I am not looking at the 3k spotters quality.

dotman

WKR
Dotman
I am going to be using for backpacking and in my truck. Basically backpacking though. I recently switched from 8x32's to the 10x42 and I could tell a huge difference. What is your opinion on why the 32's? Also, I have wanted to check out the razor HD. Is the 50 enough to give me the detail to see gender of the species. I realize I am not looking at the 3k spotters quality.

Truthfully mainly price. Plus you will have a spotter for the really low light instances/long distance verification. I have 8x42 and kind wish I had 8x32 for scanning if I also have a spotter along. If you were not buying a spotter I would say get 10x42. It really is personal pref and if you are in the thick stuff the 8x32 would be nice but you will also be able to scan distances with them and then get a better idea with the spotter.

I can't say how good the Razor 50mm will be but read Matt's review on the big dogs, he has the big Razor 85mm in there to get an idea of the quality of glass the 50mm might have or should have, now you will not get the results out of a 50 that you would a 65 or 80. This is were Matt can answer or give you an idea of what to expect. So in the end it is just a personal pref and getting you good options that will give you the best bang for your buck.

Beastmode

WKR
Dotman

What species are you speaking of and what distance? :D

OP
WyoBowhunter21
I forgot to mention distance. The last bowl that I was looking into was around 1-2 miles away maybe a bit closer. That's from where I camped to where I was looking.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot to mention distance. The last bowl that I was looking into was around 1-2 miles away maybe a bit closer. That's from where I camped to where I was looking.

I think either a 65mm or 50mm spotter and a set of 10X42s would be great for these uses. Don't forget to get a tripod mount adapter for your bins. I like the Vortex unimount for a sturdy cost-effective version.

8X32s would work also, but for glassing over a mile I prefer 10x42s on a tripod.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
I think either a 65mm or 50mm spotter and a set of 10X42s would be great for these uses. Don't forget to get a tripod mount adapter for your bins. I like the Vortex unimount for a sturdy cost-effective version.

8X32s would work also, but for glassing over a mile I prefer 10x42s on a tripod.

You are thinking what I am. I am going to look at some 10x42, with a 50mm scope. I can always buy a cheap one to put in the truck. I have the vanguard bino adapter for the tripod. Will that work with the vortex?

Hardstalk

WKR
I am currently liquidating all my optics to purchase the 12x razor binocs and 65 razor spotter. After playing with several different power binocs and spotters I think I found the right fit for me.

Slim Jim

WKR
I would definitely go with the 65mm over the 50mm unless your not to worried about trophy hunting. The 50mm is great for lightweight and locating but the extra 1 1/2lb will be worth it for sizing up that trophy animal

OP
WyoBowhunter21
I think that I will eventually want to look or trophies but right now I could careless. I just like being out and about. Now I have thought about going for 10x50s and keep my little scope I have now.