Projected gear

Need some advice on some gear I am looking to purchase.
First up is my pack. Diving in for the Highcamp 7000 (coyote brown with black webbing), using a duplex I already bought. A grab it (will this hold shed antlers). Sawyer inline water filter connected to a 90 oz platypus. A halo 700 rangefinder. Nikon monarch 3 or 7. And a vortex diamondback (20-60x80). Kryptek merino wool top and bottom. Titanium long spoon. If anyone can help me out that would be awesome!!!

dotman

WKR
Need some advice on some gear I am looking to purchase.
First up is my pack. Diving in for the Highcamp 7000 (coyote brown with black webbing), using a duplex I already bought. A grab it (will this hold shed antlers). Sawyer inline water filter connected to a 90 oz platypus. A halo 700 rangefinder. Nikon monarch 3 or 7. And a vortex diamondback (20-60x80). Kryptek merino wool top and bottom. Titanium long spoon. If anyone can help me out that would be awesome!!!

Sounds like all good stuff that you have a budget for, I would say you did well or are doing well in the price class of the items. I would skip the Nikons and go with Vortex such as the talons. I don't think a grab it alone will hold sheds, get the lash kit also. As always watch out for sales and get your Vortex optics from Elknut, call or pm him for the best deals.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Dotman.
I will make sure to get a hold of elknut. Ian curious why you say the talons? I haven't looked through those but I will take a look at them.

bbrown

WKR
I have the Vipers and have looked thru the Talons - both good glass for the price. Definitely look up Elknut - I told a buddy about him and even got him pricing but the dumba$$ waited too long and the night before we were supposed to leave for a hunt he went to Sportsman's to pick up the Talons. Cost him like $80 more plus Uncle Sam's cut.

If I even talk myself into the new Razors (I'm close...) I will be going thru Elknut.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you have your pack figured out.

One bit of caution on the Sawyer filter: It is not the best option in sub-freezing temps. Mine is cracked and out of commission, and I worked pretty hard to empty it out in the field.

I really like the Steripen Adventurer Opti for cold weather sterilization. I am not a big fan of the drops because of how long the wait time is.

The Talons are a very nice binocular that outclasses the Monarch series, IMO, and has a better warranty.

I haven't seen the Terras.

Zen Ray has some quality options in that price range also.

shaun

WKR
I personally checked out the Terras and my take on them is they are the best bang for the buck! If my memory serves me correctly you can still get a 10% off coupon from Zeiss to use at any retailer for any optic.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I personally checked out the Terras and my take on them is they are the best bang for the buck! If my memory serves me correctly you can still get a 10% off coupon from Zeiss to use at any retailer for any optic.

They seem to offer a lot of value, shaun. Did you get to really check them out out-of-doors, lowlight, etc.? Or was it kind of an initial impression thing?

shaun

WKR
BB when I got to play with them they had a huge colorful sign across the room I used. Then they took me outside where it was very overcast. That was the closest to low light I was able to get but I was very impressed from what I saw. I am no Matt Cashell but I tried to do a few tests you normally use from things I have read from you

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
BB when I got to play with them they had a huge colorful sign across the room I used. Then they took me outside where it was very overcast. That was the closest to low light I was able to get but I was very impressed from what I saw. I am no Matt Cashell but I tried to do a few tests you normally use from things I have read from you

Easy partner! No need to throw names around. ;)

I was just trying to see what kind of time you got with them. I wanted to know how high to set my expectations. Maybe I will see if I can find some for eval. The $400 slot in the market is packed with great options. I think it says something that one of the big three decided to target that segment. The implication is that products in that price range were good enough that Zeiss saw a need to compete.

Competition is always a good thing for hunters!

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Dotman
I actually haven't bought any glass yet. It's actually going to be my graduation present to myself haha.

I basically am in that $400 range and I would like to get some good glass, spotting scope an binos for $1000. I know there not going to be the best on the market but I want some glass that won't give me headaches after looking for hours.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
I won't be doing much backpacking in cold cold weather. The lowest I am going to go is prob mid 30s or low 20s. My hunting partner is using a katydn and I think the sawyer will work good.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I won't be doing much backpacking in cold cold weather. The lowest I am going to go is prob mid 30s or low 20s. My hunting partner is using a katydn and I think the sawyer will work good.

Make sure you keep that sawyer warm at all times. It is a hollow fiber filter, and WILL freeze and break. Katadyn filters aren't hollow fiber, and are much more resistant to freezing damage. If you can keep it from freezing, you should be golden. It is a very convenient filter.

shaun

WKR
Easy partner! No need to throw names around. ;)

I was just trying to see what kind of time you got with them. I wanted to know how high to set my expectations. Maybe I will see if I can find some for eval. The $400 slot in the market is packed with great options. I think it says something that one of the big three decided to target that segment. The implication is that products in that price range were good enough that Zeiss saw a need to compete.

Competition is always a good thing for hunters!

Haha I thought you would like the name drop

Lawnboi

WKR
Id get a msr bladder over the platypus. I had too many platy bladders leak. Its easy to pop holes in them.

Msr makes a bullet proof bladder you wont be afraid to slap on your duplex frame and go.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Id get a msr bladder over the platypus. I had too many platy bladders leak. Its easy to pop holes in them.

Msr makes a bullet proof bladder you wont be afraid to slap on your duplex frame and go.

Is the msr like the platy with the opening. I like the idea of the platy cause you can just drop it in the stream and unlike the camelback you don't have to "feed" it water.

Lawnboi

WKR
Is the msr like the platy with the opening. I like the idea of the platy cause you can just drop it in the stream and unlike the camelback you don't have to "feed" it water.

No they are the standard opening. A little tougher to fill but imo the durability is worth it in the end.

To be completely honest iv owned 4 platy bladders in the last 4 or so years. All of them now reside in a landfill.