Promaster 525 vs Slik 634 height difference

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking for a tripod I can stand up and glass with this next season and really like the Promaster 525 because of the way the neck adjusts up and down and its 2" shorter folded up than the Slik, but don't know if its tall enough. I am a tad over 5-11 and my eyes are right at 66". I don't have access to either tripod and I know its kind of of a dumb question but I really don't want to buy the Promaster if its going to be too short, lol. Anyone around my height have the Promaster? I have the Promaster 6160 head and the outdoor research quick connect and those are about 6" in height together. Any help would be appreciated and again sorry for the nit-picky question.

jm1607

WKR
I had the Promaster carbon and sold it for a Slik 634 for the exact reason. I usually glass sitting down but sometimes it's nice to take a break and get on your feet. My promaster was literally 2-3" or so too short. I'm 6' and was using an Outdoorsman Micro Panhead. I've set up my Slik tripod and it's perfect. IMO, don't risk the Promaster and just go with the Slik if you want to stand up.

I bet it depends on what bino adaptaptor and what head you use. An Outdoorsman pistol grip head and their bino adaptor adds a bunch of height, as does an angled spotter. Straight spotters and micro heads are just the opposite.

I have the promaster xc525c I use the angled vortex razor spotting scope. I have more than enough height I have to back or down quite a bit. I'm 5'10 and love the promaster

jm1607

WKR
I have the promaster xc525c I use the angled vortex razor spotting scope. I have more than enough height I have to back or down quite a bit. I'm 5'10 and love the promaster

I should have written my response better. I have the same tripod and used an angled scope np as well, but I couldn't use binocs

OP
J

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
Binoculars is all I run, I ditched the spotter long ago and just do 10s and 15s. It looks like I was right in the Promaster being to short, thanks for the response, just what I was looking for.

LaHunter

WKR
I've been running the Promaster 525 carbon fiber tripod with the Promaster 6160 pan head for about 4 years. I use it with my Swaro
STS spotter, which is straight. I am nearly your height, and this set up is a tad too short for me to comfortably glass while standing for extended periods of time. For me it's a great setup, since I am sitting 95% of the time while I am glassing. If I was hunting flatter / sage country where standing while glassing would be required, I would probably want to go with a slight taller tripod.

Good Luck

OP
J

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input guys, just what I was looking for. I went ahead and ordered the Slik 634 to make sure I have enough height.