Prone w/ New Bipod

Vitals

WKR
So I just got my Harris bipod and went with the 13-27 inch model. After mounting it to the rifle, I laid on the ground to see how the prone position felt with the bipod. I had expected it to be a little on the tall side for prone, and as expected, the butt sits right on my collar bone....no bueno.

I'm not really concerned because I doubt I will shoot at much game from the prone position, and If I had too, I would just use my pack. The grass around here is usually too tall to see over anyways. I suppose It would be in a better position in my shoulder if I were on a downward slope and could rest the rifle at a lower elevation.

Has anyone found a solution to that sort of thing, like digging a quick little ditch for the legs to lower the rifle?

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
I had that model and rarely use it anymore. I got the 4-8 inch model( I think). I find prone to be the most stable for me. Tall grass is tough.

I use a 13-27" only when Coyote hunting when I need to call and set up in a sitting position. I use a 9-13" for prone, and typically, if I need to go prone, I have time to fiddle around a get a clear shot through the brush/grass.

I've never used the little 6-9" models.

KMD

Banned
I much prefer shooting stix for seated position rifle shooting. Those long azz bipod legs get hung up in the grass and you gotta lift the whole rifle up off the ground to get freed up to swing on a critter. That's not so much of a problem when prone, cuz the grass is prolly shorter (hence going prone), and your body profile is so much lower to the ground. But when seated, lifting a rifle skyward to get the bipod legs free to pan is a major PITA! Not to mention, your rifle is flailing above your head shaking grass off the bipod feet, LOL. With stix, you hold the rifle in one hand, dip the stix down toward you, pan around, reset the stix, and get back on target quickly. Height adjustments are quicker with stix too, just change the leg angle. With a fixed bipod, the shooter needs to move behind the rifle to adjust POA. Another PITA and not the best form for accurate shooting...

For field prone shooting, 9-13" range bipod is what you want. Tall enough to crawl behind on uneven terrain, yet not too high on flat ground to maintain proper position behind the rifle. Those 'shorty' 6-9" bipods are best suited for bench shooting...

Hope you can make due with what you're working with!

Whisky

WKR
6-9" for range work...

9-13" for prone shots hunting....

Shooting sticks for sitting/kneeling shots....13-27" bipods are a waste IMO.

desertcj

WKR
I haven't tried the 9-13" model, I have the 6-9" and personally I find it perfect for prone with the legs fully extended. Bench/table/flat bed, 6" is right on. If I have grass in the way, I leave it folded and rest on a log/rock/pack.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the shooting sticks are made by Stoney Point. 3 sectional folders held together near the top. Fairly cheap at about $30.

9-13" Harris is the most versatile size there is.

"Bench" model bipods like the short Harris or an Atlas are worthless in the field. Any bit of ground clutter or soft snow and youre screwed.

I used to use sticks for sitting (I hate shooting sitting and its only an absolute last ditch move for me), but have since gone to a 13-27" Harris. Its ten times better than sticks.

Sunspot

WKR
9-13" Harris is the most versatile size there is.

"Bench" model bipods like the short Harris or an Atlas are worthless in the field. Any bit of ground clutter or soft snow and youre screwed.

I used to use sticks for sitting (I hate shooting sitting and its only an absolute last ditch move for me), but have since gone to a 13-27" Harris. Its ten times better than sticks.

That is my thinking since a backpack would equal a short bipod and a longer bipod seems more solid than sticks, but I don't have enough experience in every phase to be an authority.

It depends on what kind of field shooting you are doing. If it is shooting in "fields", than the shorties are mostly useless. If in field shooting, we are talking about in the mountains, a 6-9 or 9-13 Harris is as stable as it gets. I have 6-9s on all my long range rigs. I get to high ground and find a position to shoot from. It has been my experience that if I can't make a 6-9 work, a 9-13 won't either. If speed is an issue, going over the pack is fast and stable. If you use them anyway, trekking poles are a great tool to use in place of shooting sticks. As always, going out and trying all of this stuff in the area you will be shooting in, will show you what works and what doesn't:)