Pronghorn Caliber

Carlin59

WKR
I’d rather be “over-gunned” on pronghorn than under-gunned on elk. I’d look at 7mm-08 or .308. Pick a mono metal (Barnes, Hornady GMX, etc). That will help limit meat destruction on pronghorn, while facilitating good penetration on elk. My single rifle for elk/deer/antelope for the past decade is a .300WM and 165 grain Hornady GMX. No issues with meat loss if you stay off the front shoulder on antelope, and plenty of penetration on elk.

Deerfield

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be using my 7 Rem Mag this year. IMO it’s the perfect combination of being elk capable and yet not too overly big for smaller game and in this case antelope. However, I do think that I will be putting together a 25 cal at some point for a dedicated antelope/longer range eastern whitetail gun. Something about the quarter bores have always intrigued me.

muddydogs

WKR
A 7mm RM and 30-06 with 160 grain plus bullets can be a little hard on antelope meat, if the shot is in the front shoulders there basically toast. I'm old school or as someone posted above I guess I'm just an average hunter because I like my 25-06 with 110 grain Accubond for antelope. Lots of guy recommending the 280 but I would assume it would be even harder then a 7mm on the meat. If you want a do it all rifle then pick one for elk and just make the best shot you can on antelope.

MHWASH

WKR
What do you currently have? Is it better suited for ok or pronghorn? I’ve used the 260 & 270 on lopes with great success. This year will be a 6.5CM.
I’ll be using either it or my 270 for elk.

Whitty

FNG
I vote for the 270WSM...a bit flatter and will easily handle antelope, deer, and elk!

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
I like my 300 RUM, with bonded bullets........takes a significant load to do its thing to an antelope! Haha in all seriousness, I do like my 300 RUM for all things, but pronghorn I have found it nice just because in my experience it leaves a really small hole in and out of a light thin skinned pronghorn. I generally go for a mid body shot to avoid any meat damage and the shock may have more of en effect than the bullet itself but I rarely waste meat and havent had to chase anything more than 20 yards. On elk it does the job, on deer I get extended range.........many other rounds will do the same, but I roll with my lightweight RUM

Unclemoe

FNG
Ive been using a 6.5 creedmoor for several years, have a muzzle brake on it and the rifle kicks less then a .223 using good ammo you have plenty for elk any deer bear pronghorn

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Well, you just went from one of the smaller easier to kill animals to one of the larger, and tougher . With elk on the menu , think I would lean toward the 7mm or bigger, if your in a situation with a longer poke at a elk, the heavier bullets tend to shine. Just my opinion...
Mike

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
6.5CM or 6.5PRC. Either is enough for elk under 400 yards. Don't let people tell you otherwise. Very accurate ammo is widely available and affordable, little to no recoil. Keep it over 140 and you'll have plenty of energy for speedgoat to elk. I'd shoot any hooved big game animal in north America except maybe bison and moose north of the border.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Pwrhd

FNG
Will be relying on a .308 with 165 grain bullet. May have to use it for deer as well.

chlanoue

FNG
You could make a case for about anything 22-250 thru 300WM. I would be looking for a bullet that can buck the prairie winds.

MT257

WKR
257 weatherby and 110 accubond. Most time they don’t move after ya shoot if you do you part. It goes bang flop.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
I used a 7mm Rem Mag on my AZ Pronghorn 140gr Etip.

Attachments

• 20190907_095752.jpg
    20190907_095752.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 43
I'm a one and done rifle guy and I shoot 300 wsm but if I was going to pick up another and wasn't going to hunt huge bears I would go 28 Nosler hands down

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have shot mine with 6mm Rem, .264 Win Mag, .270 Win, all worked perfect. I told my Son on his first Antelope hunt he was using my 6mm Rem if he shot one 15 inches I would buy him a new rifle.
He did and I did and He is the proud owner of a Remington 700 CDL 25-06.
All four of these make Great Antelope and Deer rifles out West.