Pronghorn———>Elk

Unckebob

WKR
Cheating a little bit here and trying to pin down a rifle caliber, leaning on you roksliders for some sound advice.
I am out of the 300wm game as I developed a flinch behind the trigger. I do not reload and between archery, gear, and hunting not sure I can justify another hobby to the wifey. Buying a new caliber gun is fair game of coarse!
Hunting distances 300-500, quarry would be pronghorn to elk. Can I get it done with a lighter weight rifle and minimize recoil by downgrading from the old trusty 300wm.
Trying to research options
30-06
280AI
7mm mag
6.5prc
Would prefer a short action i think but in the end ballistic superiority at my ranges is number one keeping recoil in mind.
Most common hunted animal is muley & elk.

Thanks all!

If you don't reload, avoid the 280AI. I am building one right now. There is basically one factory load available now and brass isn't plentiful either. It's not a big problem form me because I reload, but it is terrible for your situation.

6.8 Western seems like a good option, but I am worried that it is dying out because nobody outside Winchester/Browning loads for it or chambers factory rifles in it.

With a long action, the 270 is the right answer. Plentiful ammo choices and reasonable recoil.

Short Action -7-08 if you can find a good supply of ammo. Otherwise, 6.5CM or 308. Lots of ammo choices for both.

Last edited:
Cheating a little bit here and trying to pin down a rifle caliber, leaning on you roksliders for some sound advice.
I am out of the 300wm game as I developed a flinch behind the trigger. I do not reload and between archery, gear, and hunting not sure I can justify another hobby to the wifey. Buying a new caliber gun is fair game of coarse!
Hunting distances 300-500, quarry would be pronghorn to elk. Can I get it done with a lighter weight rifle and minimize recoil by downgrading from the old trusty 300wm.
Trying to research options
30-06
280AI
7mm mag
6.5prc
Would prefer a short action i think but in the end ballistic superiority at my ranges is number one keeping recoil in mind.
Most common hunted animal is muley & elk.

Thanks all!
Realistically any of those will get it done out to 500, personally I'd lean 30-06, 308 or 6.5 prc. Get a rifle with a threaded barrel, put a TI Pro brake on it and you won't feel the thing go off. If your not going to hand I'd lean more towards 30-06 or 308 for 2 reasons, no replacement for displacement .30 cal over .27 cal and it's normally cheaper than the new wiz bang stuff. Once it falls out of the public eye of being the "cool" thing to have it becomes cheaper to shoot. Dont think can go wrong with any of those options.

eoperator

WKR
My .02, 6/6.5cm for smaller game and practice. Trim barrel on your 300wm to 20' and order a suppressor that would be ready for next year's bigger game and longer shots .

TomJoad

WKR
Inside 500
short action: 6.5cm
Med action: 6.5x55 se
Long action: 25-06

SouthPaw

WKR
Short action, at those ranges, recoil sensitive, and factory ammo only. The answer is 6.5cm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Venator

Venator

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the responses, I crossed off 280AI due to what others said in regards to ammo availability, that and a couple web searches with none to be found.
7RM being a magnum I think crossed itself off.
I’m pretty much down to 308 or the 6.5prc…..

The one thing that has me concerned with 308 is it seems to drop under 1500 around 300 yards give or take bullet but am I over thinking that?

People whom have both what’s there go to western round?

Tmac

WKR
Thanks everyone for the responses, I crossed off 280AI due to what others said in regards to ammo availability, that and a couple web searches with none to be found.
7RM being a magnum I think crossed itself off.
I’m pretty much down to 308 or the 6.5prc…..

The one thing that has me concerned with 308 is it seems to drop under 1500 around 300 yards give or take bullet but am I over thinking that?

People whom have both what’s there go to western round?
Relative to your 1,500 concern. You must be referring to foot pounds and not velocity? I’d focus more on the bullet design and it’s minimum expansion velocity, then add a few 100 fps to that and determine my max range with the locale where I hunted. Odds are that number will be well past 300 yards, probably closer to 500-600 with many bullets and further at altitude, a 165-168ish gr. bullet seems a sweet spot for what you described.