Pronghorn———>Elk

Venator

Lil-Rokslider
Cheating a little bit here and trying to pin down a rifle caliber, leaning on you roksliders for some sound advice.
I am out of the 300wm game as I developed a flinch behind the trigger. I do not reload and between archery, gear, and hunting not sure I can justify another hobby to the wifey. Buying a new caliber gun is fair game of coarse!
Hunting distances 300-500, quarry would be pronghorn to elk. Can I get it done with a lighter weight rifle and minimize recoil by downgrading from the old trusty 300wm.
Trying to research options
30-06
280AI
7mm mag
6.5prc
Would prefer a short action i think but in the end ballistic superiority at my ranges is number one keeping recoil in mind.
Most common hunted animal is muley & elk.

Thanks all!

slm9s

FNG
If budget is the big concern, put a brake on your 300wm and wear electronic ear buds while hunting. Problem solved.

Otherwise, 280ai would be a great choice, even a 280 or 270. If you want a SA, 270wsm or even the lowly 308.

AM3

FNG
The above is good. Brake the 300WM, wear ear pro and dry fire every night.

IDShane

WKR
I would agree on the brake on the 300WM. I have a brake on my 300 PRC and it is very mellow but loud.

WCB

WKR
7 rem is not a consideration if you have a flinch from a 300wm....Id go .308

Last edited:
As a general guideline it seems like about 15 ft pounds of recoil energy is the point at which folks can start becoming uncomfortable with recoil. If you have developed a flinch, you may have difficulty reigning it in with the chamberings you have mentioned. Of those that you mentioned, I'd go with the 6.5 PRC.

I'd recommend stepping down further yet. 6.5 Creedgod rifles and ammo are widely available and affordable. Though not as widely available, the kinda' forgotten 25-06 will do what you want it to do with less fuss yet.

FWIW, long or short action won't matter one damn bit to you.

Recoil table

Cheating a little bit here and trying to pin down a rifle caliber, leaning on you roksliders for some sound advice.
I am out of the 300wm game as I developed a flinch behind the trigger. I do not reload and between archery, gear, and hunting not sure I can justify another hobby to the wifey. Buying a new caliber gun is fair game of coarse!
Hunting distances 300-500, quarry would be pronghorn to elk. Can I get it done with a lighter weight rifle and minimize recoil by downgrading from the old trusty 300wm.
30-06
280AI
7mm mag
6.5prc
Would prefer a short action i think but in the end ballistic superiority at my ranges is number one keeping recoil in mind.

Thanks all!
300-500 isn't far but for elk I love heavier bullets, coming from a guy who's killed a pile of bulls with a 6.5 saum I can tell you it's not ideal for big bulls past 400 yards.
The 280ai is no doubt an awesome round but since you don't handload the ammo situation is too sketchy..

Honestly you can't beat the good old 7 RM with affordable factory ammo everywhere.
Check out the 168 Berger ammo that bullet straight up stacks critters.
I had a tikka 7 RM and it was ridiculously accurate shooting the 162 eldx with much less recoil than a 300 wm.

If you want a truly amazing shooting experience I'd recommend looking into a suppressor in the future and cutting your barrel down to 20".

Here's a link to the ammo you want
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021562219?pid=741274

30-06
280AI
7mm mag
6.5prc

Thanks all!
I own or have owned every single cartridge you have listed. My vote is 6.5 PRC or 280 AI. Those are my two big game rifles right now - for everything up to and including moose. If reload, go 280 AI. If you don’t, go 6.5 PRC or be willing to pay for custom reloads at $100/box for 280AI. My rifles are set up different, one for long range hunting and one as an UL mountain rifle. If I had to choose one over the other I couldnt.

My 300 Win. Mag. was giving me a fit due to three shoulder operations, had a break put on it world of difference.

The above is good. Brake the 300WM, wear ear pro and dry fire every night.
Coming from someone who has tinnitus from shooting unbraked rifles, you should always wear hearing protection anyway, whether its braked or not. Lol

EmperorMA

WKR
I'm in a very similar situation with both a drastically altered shoulder and disc issues in my neck.

I went with 6.5 Creedmoor. Easy to shoot .... even unbraked ... and easy to find accurate rifles and factory ammo for. It'll do all you need with 140 - 156gr bullets.

If you want a bit more punch, a 6.8 Western with a brake would be a very nice option.