Pronghorn Hunting in Wyoming

elkla

FNG
Hello , I am a newbie to Rokslide. I have read some interesting post about Wyoming antelope hunts and while my friends and I have hunted Colorado, New Mexico for elk we wanted to try Wyoming and antelope hunting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It was suggested to try units 25 and 9 for for applying since we have 0 PP. I have looked into those units but would like some advice.

Thanks

zacattack

WKR
Hello , I am a newbie to Rokslide. I have read some interesting post about Wyoming antelope hunts and while my friends and I have hunted Colorado, New Mexico for elk we wanted to try Wyoming and antelope hunting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It was suggested to try units 25 and 9 for for applying since we have 0 PP. I have looked into those units but would like some advice.

Thanks

If you don’t mind a reduced price tag and hunting does PM me and I can tell you what I did this last season

Rich M

WKR
PM - private message. click on Zac's screen name and it should give you an option to message him.

Special tags are a draw that costs a couple hundred $ more than regular full price tag.

I did a doe only hunt and saw more bucks - regretted not getting buck tag. I was wanting a 1 and done kind of thing. Now if life is good, I'll be going back with a couple buds in 2025 or so, we're collecting points to stay away from the 0 and 1 point units. I did my hunt in 2017 and it was crowded in that unit.

Research WY trespass laws - you're gonna need to know these.
OnXmaps is very helpful - you can do the cell phone thing or buy a chip.
Then spend some time on the WY hunt planner map. Tons of useful info on here.

At 0 points your options are the low point units. Need 5+ to get into the wide open spaces kinds of units.
The diff is the amount of public land, the number of tags, and the number of guys who are out there trying to get their first goat too. Funny how a lot of the 0 point units have high tag numbers to go with less public access.

You can/should be able to get an antelope if you aren't picky, scout a day or two before the season and put yourself in a good spot for opening morning. Cultivate several options and run with it. Once you get there and see everything, lots of stuff will click.

OP
E

elkla

FNG
PM - private message. click on Zac's screen name and it should give you an option to message him.

Special tags are a draw that costs a couple hundred $ more than regular full price tag.

I did a doe only hunt and saw more bucks - regretted not getting buck tag. I was wanting a 1 and done kind of thing. Now if life is good, I'll be going back with a couple buds in 2025 or so, we're collecting points to stay away from the 0 and 1 point units. I did my hunt in 2017 and it was crowded in that unit.

Research WY trespass laws - you're gonna need to know these.
OnXmaps is very helpful - you can do the cell phone thing or buy a chip.
Then spend some time on the WY hunt planner map. Tons of useful info on here.

At 0 points your options are the low point units. Need 5+ to get into the wide open spaces kinds of units.
The diff is the amount of public land, the number of tags, and the number of guys who are out there trying to get their first goat too. Funny how a lot of the 0 point units have high tag numbers to go with less public access.

You can/should be able to get an antelope if you aren't picky, scout a day or two before the season and put yourself in a good spot for opening morning. Cultivate several options and run with it. Once you get there and see everything, lots of stuff will click.
Thanks Rich M !

OP
E

elkla

FNG
I'd recommend spending some time on Wyoming fish and games hunt planner. It's free and can really help you narrow down options.
Thanks Chad. I have "wandered around" in the hunt planner but need to spend more time.

When I was comparing unit numbers in the hunt planner with my onyx, they didn’t match. Is that normal? I can still kind of figure out where things are, but maybe I don’t have something setup right

Chad E

WKR
When I was comparing unit numbers in the hunt planner with my onyx, they didn’t match. Is that normal? I can still kind of figure out where things are, but maybe I don’t have something setup right

Make sure you have selected antelope units in the appropriate onx layer. In wyoming unit #s and boundaries are different depending on species.

Lumpy

FNG
From my experience the walk in areas aren't too crowded at all. Of course I can't speak for all units. Tons of Antelope every where in Wyoming so most people don't need to leave the truck.

Rich M

WKR
Anyone with experience in units 7, 24, 27? Looking to take my son up for a doe hunt
If you can get a buck and a doe tag it'd be better. I understand the cash aspect of it all but you are spending so much on the trip, an extra 400 might be worth it.

If you can get a buck and a doe tag it'd be better. I understand the cash aspect of it all but you are spending so much on the trip, an extra 400 might be worth it.

I'm about 4 hours away in CO, and this will be my son's first "big game" trip. Ill see if I can take him here locally as well, but this is definitely a meat trip.....I'll take a look at draw % and see how buck tags are drawing. Thanks for the info!

Rich M

WKR
I'm about 4 hours away in CO, and this will be my son's first "big game" trip. Ill see if I can take him here locally as well, but this is definitely a meat trip.....I'll take a look at draw % and see how buck tags are drawing. Thanks for the info!
That's a lot less driving than me. I'm about 30 hrs to the state line, CO or WY.

Be easier to draw a doe. Have a great hunt.