Pronghorn longbow

Cheechako

FNG
Does anyone have first hand experience with the three piece pronghorn longbow by Herb Meland?
I’m looking for a durable takedown longbow for hunting up here in Alaska in addition to my current ilf rig and am seriously considering buying a used pronghorn. I’ve heard they are solid and sweet shooting but not particularly fast.
Thanks for your help.

oldgoat

WKR
I can't stand the grip on them! It's a straight grip, I would suggest a used Toelke Lynx, lot better grip and just as dependable and mine is pretty quick. I've seen a few on leatherwall lately and archerytalk

If you can shoot a broomstick then go for it. I personally prefer a little more contour in the riser grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have first hand experience with the three piece pronghorn longbow by Herb Meland?
I’m looking for a durable takedown longbow for hunting up here in Alaska in addition to my current ilf rig and am seriously considering buying a used pronghorn. I’ve heard they are solid and sweet shooting but not particularly fast.
Thanks for your help.
Damn good. Get one if you can. They have a great reputation.

If you don't like the grip, get a wood file and get after it. It's just wood.

slvrslngr

WKR
I’ve got one. Pretty basic setup, brown actionwood riser and red elm limbs. It’s plenty fast. Yes, it has a low grip, I shoot it just fine with the right arrows. That said, if I get another bow it will be a 2 piece Toelke Whip.

RCL

WKR
Herb builds a fine bow and great to work with.
I must like the grip as I own four of them and shoot them well.

tater

WKR
As said above, a no frills tool that is built for the long haul. Very stable and forgiving but NOT fast by any means.
Rich Wormington (Yellowstone Longbows) makes a very similar bow in regards to grip and limbs.

If i was to pick a three piece bow that is durable, functional and fast with a slightly higher wrist straight grip i would get on Mike Hays' waitlist (Black Canyon Bows). I did a bit of horse trading for a used one a couple of years ago and it is a phenomenal bow.

OP
C

Cheechako

FNG
Thanks for the feeeback everyone. The grip doesn’t really worry me as I prefer them straight and relatively low.
The thing that is really making me hesitate is the cut on the shelf. It doesn’t look like it’s anywhere near center-shot and might make tuning difficult.
Also is the shelf window radiused? It’s hard to tell from pictures.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the shelf cut and know how these other three pieces are cut to compare?

I’ve looked into some of the other bows you guys have suggested suggested and the Half breed by Yellowstone really stands out to me. It’s simple and a looker.

tater

WKR
It's been a few years, but i seem to recall the Pronghorn i briefly had as being shy of center cut by about 3/16" or so. The shelf had a mild radius to it, but because of the handle style it was subtle and rearward to keep it above the pivot point.

There was a guy in CO that made a bow similar to those but they had fabulous grips, Rampart bows were the name. Sadly, he passed away.

tater

WKR
There was a guy in CO that made a bow similar to those but they had fabulous grips, Rampart bows were the name. Sadly, he passed away.

Buddy Gould from Poison Dart is making the Rampart Legacy line for RMS Gear. Hit up the Clums and see what they have in stock.

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
My brother and his wife shoot them and love them. My brother has been shooting them for at least 20 years.

Vernon

FNG
own a few pronghorns and absolutely love them and Herb is a top notch guy. I've tried more contoured or pistol like grips and I prefer the grip like the pronghorn. Also check out "yellowstone bows" from Rich Wormington. I have his "halfbreed" which is similiar to a pronghorn. Both EXCELLENT bows from great bowyers.

MTSLW

FNG
I shot one oh Rich’s Yellowstone Hunters for years, it’s very similar to the Pronghorn. It was a great bow!