Pronghorn Loose Rules?

sndmn11

WKR
My wife and step dad will be rifle hunting for pronghorn this fall in a Colorado mountain unit. She has a doe tag, and my step dad has a double digit buck tag. Plenty of time will be spent afield through the summer, some already has been, and right up to the season opening. This will be the first experience with pronghorn we have. I am hoping to hear any guidelines or loose rules that have been learned from folks with more experience than we have?

My step dad does not hunt as much as he would like, he is not in as good of shape as in the past so I was finally able to talk him into using these points. My wife just started hunting and we thought it would be the best chance for her to stalk and look at a live animal through her scope for the first time.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Glass'm up and figure out a way to close the distance out of sight. If you see some while driving don't just stop abruptly in view, that tends to spook them. They tolerate driving vehicles to an extent based on how often vehicles are around them normally and also how much pressure has been coming their way.

Practice shooting out as far as they are comfortable, it just leaves options open if needed.

I haven't found them to be particularly jumpy about scent or sound (within reason) at firearm ranges, just stay out of sight on your stalk primarily.

wytx

WKR
One big issue I see with new hunters is getting set up for a good shot in a timely manner. They will not have the luxury of sitting at a rest with an un-moving target. Get them used to getting their breathing down fast and steady on the trigger.
If you can, avoid the rut, they never stop chasing or moving it seems during the rut. Bucks are chasing small bucks off, herding doe and the doe are trying to avoid the bucks.
Shooting sticks or a bipod for both hunters and learn how to shoot off of them.
Look for a buck with horns more than twice the ear length. Ears=6 inches or so, 12 inch bucks are usually 2 yr old, look for longer horns and if possible prongs above the ears as well.
Bucks have a black cheek patch and doe do not. A yearling buck will look like a young doe with small horns, make sure no cheek patch for a doe. Doe can have neat little horns as well and make for a unique trophy. Just look for that black cheek patch.
pods8 has good advise as well.
Good luck with the hunters and thanks for getting them in the field.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
If you can, avoid the rut, they never stop chasing or moving it seems during the rut. Bucks are chasing small bucks off, herding doe and the doe are trying to avoid the bucks.

I have a customer in this unit and have spent a fair amount of time hunting deer and elk in it. The two days this year we have gotten afield looking for pronghorn have both seen bucks chasing each other around. The first time was about 3/4 mile away in and out of a herd of cattle and I thought it was two pyrenees looking dogs that cruise around with the sheep chasing a coyote that we weren't seeing. The second time there was a dirt road and two barbed wire fences in between the two bucks, there were does on one side about 1/2 mile back, and it looked like two dogs running a fence line teasing each other. I thought both behaviors were really odd for happening in April and May.

I actually have a rifle bear, and my wife has rifle buck deer and bull elk licenses for the unit, so I think this fall might be pretty neat.

Last edited: