Pronghorn meat care

MtnW

We feel getting the hide off almost immediately is most important. Then gut the antelope, rinse off with some cool water and wrap in wet game bags or sheets . Then you are good to continue hunting for your partners. We too do not shoot goats that have been stressed or running. Some of my favorite game meat.

Sled

antelope don't typically run further than a mile for a reason. they overheat and take time to cool down. stress also releases hormones that can change the flavor of meat. if possible shoot an animal that isn't stressed and hasn't been out trying to best Usain Bolt in a sprint.

fwiw, i keep the backstraps and tenderloins for steaks and make italian sausage (no casing) or burger out of the rest. the meat is great but i started with antelope spaghetti and really loved it. it is higher in cholesterol but still not unhealthy unless you are actively trying to lower yours. i'd put the meat on par with elk and better than deer.

all the above said about getting the animal on ice within an hour applies.

Jimss

Bucks usually are rutting hard in late sept through early oct. Getting the stinky hide off ASAP is just as important as cooling it down. If it’s super hot make sure to drain water as the ice melts. I usually try to place the cape in a different cooler than meat with cape on top with a garbage bag between ice and cape. Make sure cape remains dry and doesn’t get wet!