Pronghorn meat care

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
We feel getting the hide off almost immediately is most important. Then gut the antelope, rinse off with some cool water and wrap in wet game bags or sheets . Then you are good to continue hunting for your partners. We too do not shoot goats that have been stressed or running. Some of my favorite game meat.

Sled

WKR
antelope don't typically run further than a mile for a reason. they overheat and take time to cool down. stress also releases hormones that can change the flavor of meat. if possible shoot an animal that isn't stressed and hasn't been out trying to best Usain Bolt in a sprint.

fwiw, i keep the backstraps and tenderloins for steaks and make italian sausage (no casing) or burger out of the rest. the meat is great but i started with antelope spaghetti and really loved it. it is higher in cholesterol but still not unhealthy unless you are actively trying to lower yours. i'd put the meat on par with elk and better than deer.

all the above said about getting the animal on ice within an hour applies.

Jimss

WKR
Bucks usually are rutting hard in late sept through early oct. Getting the stinky hide off ASAP is just as important as cooling it down. If it’s super hot make sure to drain water as the ice melts. I usually try to place the cape in a different cooler than meat with cape on top with a garbage bag between ice and cape. Make sure cape remains dry and doesn’t get wet!

I shot one this last year and the meat tastes like it smelled. In years past, the antelope I've shot have tasted far better. Just think I got one this year that was older or ate more sage.

I get a deer like that once in a while. Taste like it smelled is the best description. This year, I ate 1/2 the backstrap, and threw the rest away. Never got sick, but it wasn't worth eating.

rharbaugh

WKR
Another thing is you could have accidentally touched the scent gland with your knife or hands.

That is the #1 thing I have read that will ruin your meat on a Speed Goat. I must have done it on mine last year. All the meat I ate was amazing except for 1 piece that must have brushed against the gland at some point. Tasted horrible!
Are scent glands on antelope like tarsal glands on whitetail?

WCB

WKR
IMO the biggest thing is not touching the hair then the meat or having one contact the other. The hair is really oily and that scent sticks on everything. I got them on ice within the hour after being shot on a cool damp day and have taken a couple hours to get them on ice on 80 degree days (although meat was deboned and placed on a rock in the shade within 30 minutes of kill) and zero difference in taste.

Most were strictly sage country rutting bucks (late sept early oct). I put zero belief into a running antelope tastes worse or because they ate mainly sage the meat tastes bad. Not saying that a barley fed antelope that hardly moves may not taste "better" or different. Out of the dozens and dozens of antelope I have eaten off of the only ones that were bad were over cooked or ones I could not vouch for the care of.

Everyone has had a slight goat smell when pulling out of the package to eat...With all me meats I coat them lightly in lemon or lime juice and let it sit for an hour while getting to room temp. Then dry and season/cook however you want.

Are scent glands on antelope like tarsal glands on whitetail?

My question as well! Whitetail guy here, looking to brush up on some pronghorn info as I think that’s the next out west adventure I’m going to try to sweet talk my wife into letting me chase :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
Not only are there glands on the rear legs but similar to elk and other big game they often pee on themselves to smell great for the ladies! Get the hide off ASAP! The rut generally runs from mid sept through the first week or so in October. I’m sure the hide doesn’t smell quite as bad before or after that time? Depending on the unit you can possibly hunt outside of those rutting dates if you are super concerned? I sometimes put my capes in a different cooler than the meat.

Jimss

WKR
I just did a web search and found out pronghorn bucks have 9 scent glands. I didn’t know this but they have a set of glands in the rump area that secrets an odor when they get nervous and their rump hair rises. It’s fun to learn new things each day!!!

Here's a super interesting article about the scent glands, locations, and pronghorn behavior..

Last edited: