Pronghorn on the brain for 2019, zero points..anywhere

Like the title says, I've recently become obsessed with the idea of chasing a speed goat in 2019. I relocated to Dallas from Kansas a week ago, and am thinking New Mexico is my best shot in order to maximize time off from work. According to GoHunt, there's not a single unit in the state that gives me a 50% or better odds of drawing, and the lower draw percentages present roughly 10% public land. Anybody have any advice or leads on a either a different state, or a trespass fee hunt, etc.?

*zap*

WKR
Western Kansas has pronghorn. The farmers/ranchers will love you to kill one or more. OTC tags for residents not sure for nr. First season is early sept if my memory serves me correctly.

OP
carsonkeys
Yup, I've done that hunt actually. Trying to expand my horizons in terms of states, but they very well may be the best option.

Trial153

WKR
Some advise. Unless your sitting on horseshoe forget NM.
There might me some limited areas in Co, Idaho and Mt....however I would skip that since your on the ground floor.

Focas on WY and call it a day.

*zap*

WKR
Yup, I've done that hunt actually. Trying to expand my horizons in terms of states, but they very well may be the best option.
I looked up the county game wardens out west and called them, took a while to get a hold of them but I got some phone #'s of ranchers that would allow antelope hunting.

OP
carsonkeys
I looked up the county game wardens out west and called them, took a while to get a hold of them but I got some phone #'s of ranchers that would allow antelope hunting.
No kidding?? Thats a fantastic idea. Looks like I might be hunting Kansas speedgoats again! I'll start making those calls ASAP. Thanks for the tip, Zap!

OP
carsonkeys
Some advise. Unless your sitting on horseshoe forget NM.
There might me some limited areas in Co, Idaho and Mt....however I would skip that since your on the ground floor.

Focas on WY and call it a day.
Exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Thanks man

*zap*

WKR
No kidding?? Thats a fantastic idea. Looks like I might be hunting Kansas speedgoats again! I'll start making those calls ASAP. Thanks for the tip, Zap!

If it will help you, pm me with your county list and I can get the phone #'s out of the regs brochure and pm them to you.

Fitzwho

WKR
NR Pronghorn tags in Kansas are archery only.

You can draw some units in Northeast Wyoming with 0 points, some can be tough hunts, but my buddy and I both killed 70" goats in 2018 on leftover tags.

I drew a Pronghorn tag in New Mexico last year. It can be done, requires no points, and you get your tag money back if you don't draw. The NM archery tags allow you to hunt any legally accessible public land in the unit you draw. For the rifle tags you are assigned to a ranch and that's all the land you get to hunt. I was assigned to a ranch that was about 8,000 acres. I knew guys that were assigned to ranches with 30,000 acres and talked to guys that were given ranches that you could see the entire ranch from the entry gate (and obviously didn't have any goats on it). So you can get screwed in that respect as much as you can get assigned a ranch with 80"+ potential.

robtattoo

WKR
I don't know if you'd be interested in just a meat hunt, but I've applied for WY reduced doe/fawn tags 4 times now (2 tags per application) & drawn 5 tags. I've only not drawn once for the units I've put in for.
The reduced price don't use points & it still allows you to hunt AND buy a point for the following year.

KHNC

WKR
NW Nebraska is also OTC for NR archery. The Oglala grasslands are covered in goats. Long as you arent trying to hunt during Muzzleloader you should have plenty of opportunity. We used to just road hunt til we saw a buck bedded, then parked in a depression to double back and stalk. Usually could get 5-6 stalks per day in early season.

OP
carsonkeys
I don't know if you'd be interested in just a meat hunt, but I've applied for WY reduced doe/fawn tags 4 times now (2 tags per application) & drawn 5 tags. I've only not drawn once for the units I've put in for.
The reduced price don't use points & it still allows you to hunt AND buy a point for the following year.
Killer strategy, I'll look into it!

OP
carsonkeys
NW Nebraska is also OTC for NR archery. The Oglala grasslands are covered in goats. Long as you arent trying to hunt during Muzzleloader you should have plenty of opportunity. We used to just road hunt til we saw a buck bedded, then parked in a depression to double back and stalk. Usually could get 5-6 stalks per day in early season.
NE is an absolute playground for outdoorsman. Never hunted goats there, but just about everything else. I'll look into Oglala, thanks Kenny.

WY has a bunch of walk-in ranches that you could do. Will take a lot of homework, but there’s good spots if you’re willing to walk a few miles to get into good country.

rayzales

FNG
Forget NM, everyone in the country applies. Online proclamation is available and G&F made big changes for antelope. No more assigned ranches. Need permission to hunt private & you know the answer to that. They will leave the hunting for the paid hunters & not state hunters.

Shhhhh

I drew doe/fawn with 0 points 2 years back. I guess technically all the doe/fawn tags are 0 points. Nothing last year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Do a little research in Wyoming. This last fall my hunting partner and I drew buck pronghorn tags with zero points. We each also bought 2 doe tags each because they were only $34. We tagged out 6 antelope in 4 hours on public land, marked difficult public access in Wyoming’s guide book. The hunts are out there if you look hard enough.