Pronghorn Stalker Decoy vs Be the Decoy Hat

Kadehunts

FNG
I have an AZ archery tag in a unit that is flat and wide open in parts. I'm planning to purchase one of these two decoys (links below). Curious to know if anyone has experience with one or both and what your thoughts are.

My experience has been as follows:
1. Decoys don't get you within archery range. Ever. Muzzleloader range, sure.
2. They only work at all during the peak of the rut. Pre rut bucks by themselves? Forget about it. Best time to kill them (other than water) is when they're bedded down asleep.
I had a full size Montana decoy one. I was hunting the first part of the rut in Idaho. Threw it away when I got home.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I experimented with one in WY two days before rifle basically tried a stock on every goat I could just to see what would happen. I was actually really disappointed. Managed to get to 60 kind of following a decent buck using it. I had high hopes it would work a little better. I would try it again and in fact will come Idaho this august. I agree peak of the rut probably be better.

They work when bucks are chasing but a cow decoy works any time, almost.

Yup, here is my antelope decoy:) I've only played around with it a few times and mostly it works. Maybe I didn't walk like the other cows though they still got suspicious😯
Sorry no action shots.
414109993.jpg

WCB

WKR
Never used either...I use an older Commandalope decoy....I think either could work good....I personally don't like the stalker decoy in your options if connected to your bow...in any wind it will turn your bow into a sail.

Decoys seem to be either all or none. I've had dozens of stalks where they may have hurt more than helped. I've also had dozens that worked to some extent...some I didn't do my part...some I did...and others the goats came creaming in within feet, yes, feet of me never stopping.

Which ever you chose I would probably grab a cow decoy also.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought the cow would be awesome but it was disappointing maybe my expectations were to high

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

horniac

FNG
I tried the decoy hat on a NV archery antelope hunt and didn’t have much luck with it. Also, the soft foam they use in the hat‘s construction was problematic for me. The antlers and ears broke off and I couldn’t find a glue that works to put them back on...

Horniac

Elk botherer

Lil-Rokslider
If there are cattle in the same area as the antelope regularly a cow decoy works great from my experience. I spent one archery season trying to stalk a herd of antelope but ended up running out of cover 20 yards short of being within archery range every time. The last day of the season I put together an angus silhouette from heavy duty cardboard, duct tape, black spray paint, and electric fence posts and waltzed up to within 39 yards of the herd. It was crazy. The one thing is when they get suspicious and they try to circle which would give you away since the decoy is 2d. I just pivoted with the antelope as they moved. I only tried it once but it worked amazing. I missed the buck at 59 yards, shot right over his back. The herd spooked and I walked back up to them and had a 61 yard shot at the buck and shot over his back again. The herd spooked again and daylight was gone so my season was over. I checked my sights the next day and I must have bumped them in a previous stalk because I was hitting about a foot and a half high.

Elk botherer

Lil-Rokslider
Oh, and I tried the antelope decoy the next year because the area I was hunting had no cattle and it failed miserably. The cow will be back for the next archery season. I actually drew rifle for the first time in 25 years of applying so I won’t have any new cow decoy results until next year. Happy trails.

diderr33

FNG
I just bought a stalker. Can’t wait to try it out here in a couple weeks!

Attachments

• 1DFF804C-8DCD-4B13-874B-1BE6FD48B27C.jpeg
    1DFF804C-8DCD-4B13-874B-1BE6FD48B27C.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 36

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
Total game changer...

Attachments

• 8FD2FA0E-87EF-40DD-A0B9-7B6C6F07AE51.jpeg
    8FD2FA0E-87EF-40DD-A0B9-7B6C6F07AE51.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 36

TX_Diver

WKR
I got out of my truck with the be the decoy hat on and just walked up to 80 (buck was standing on side of dirt road). He kinda just slowly walked away then kept looking back.

Had a lot of bucks hang up at 100 ish. It's easy to wear and out of the way so I'm not sure it hurts but it's not necessarily going to pull them in so much as just not scare them off as fast in my opinion for most circumstances.