Pronghorn Ultimate Predator Decoy

Lytro

WKR
Has anyone used an ultimate predator bow mounted decoy for pronghorn? If so, has it been effective? I've used a Montana decoy in the past, which has worked, but it's nearly impossible to use solo. Just curious what you guys think, and if anyone has any do or don't advice for using them.

kman87

FNG
Following.... considering an antelope. Had success w an elk one!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
Lytro

Lytro

WKR
I guess I’ll just give a review after I use mine. Lol

The trick with any decoy on antelope is to look for a buck who's in the mood. If you just start showing it to as many bucks as you can than you'll be very disappointed. Antelope have a reputation for being the meanest little SOB's to each other, but they still gotta be in the mood. If you see a buck tending does, and he's acting squirrely (displaying dominance), you might be in for something fun.

Griz34

Lil-Rokslider
I have one that I tried last year. It's just like Fauntleroy said above. They have to be in the mood. I didn't have any luck last year with mine, but I was hunting in the middle of August. In my experience there seem to be more goats in the mood when you get into September. I also have a Montana decoy. There are positive and negative aspect to both. I love how the Ultimate Predator attaches to the bow, but it sure makes shooting in the wind difficult. I'm heading out a little later this year, can't wait to try it again.

A few things to keep in mind.

Treat them like you're calling elk. Get as close as you possibly can with the wind/cover and show it to them only when the stalk can go no further or if it just feels right. Whatever you do don't show it to them if only the does can see you. They don't like the fighting so will avoid it if possible and if the buck doesn't see you he's just gonna follow the does. They will take him on a path where he won't see you. I'd bet a day of only looking for "in the mood" bucks would be fun with kids and first timers.

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
Im looking at getting one as well but was hoping for more and better reviews.. i have put some pretty great stalks on pronghorn including this last weekend but just can't seal the deal. Hoping this would help. Waiting until you cant stalk any closer makes a lot of sense to me. Had one in the mood last weekend too. Watched him make a scrape and dance around like a dork to some mulies. Pretty cool. Just wish he was at the taxidermist right now!

n8tivenv

Lil-Rokslider
I had a lot of success with a decoy last time out, but only with solo bucks. All the bucks that already had does would not let me get within range. I had multiple opportunities on smaller bucks behind the decoy and it was really fun to get in close on them!

Attachments

• FFDFB3BD-3CD4-4D70-9803-E328E759444C.jpeg
    FFDFB3BD-3CD4-4D70-9803-E328E759444C.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 44

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
I had a lot of success with a decoy last time out, but only with solo bucks. All the bucks that already had does would not let me get within range. I had multiple opportunities on smaller bucks behind the decoy and it was really fun to get in close on them!

So you're using the doe decoy then for solo bucks right? I figure the buck decoy is better for bucks that already have does and are trying to keep other bucks out.

DeepForks

FNG
I was just looking at ordering one. I have a Montana Decoy and it's a pain in the rear to set up solo while carrying your bow. Giving it another go this weekend and hopefully with better results.
Thanks for the info.