Proof barrel on Tikka

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if this has been discussed here and I'm sure its been done but I'm wanting to put a Proof carbon barrel on my Tikka T3 270WSM. I'll be using a Manners MCS-EHT stock. Is there anything special that needs to be done? For some reason I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the Tikka action and Proof barrels required something special to make them work...

Also what would be a good titanium break? or is Christensen arms making the best titanium break at the moment?

The ultimate goal for this gun is ultra light mid range 100-600 yard backcountry gun.

dotman

WKR
Hawkins precision has a titanium option in their port brake. That said you are spending a ton extra for titanium to save 1 - 1.5oz, I think the CA stainless brakes are way over priced. The Hawkins Port break is less then $80 weighs 2.7oz, his titanium version is 1.5oz or something but $200.

OP
907to406

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Hawkins precision has a titanium option in their port brake. That said you are spending a ton extra for titanium to save 1 - 1.5oz, I think the CA stainless brakes are way over priced. The Hawkins Port break is less then $80 weighs 2.7oz, his titanium version is 1.5oz or something but $200.

Agreed, that this won't be a cheap project but if I'm going to do it then might as well spend the money once. Thanks for the info, I completely forgot about Hawkins.

The shank diameter won't match up with the radius on the front of the tikka action. It's just a cosmetic thing. Some smiths just cut the radius off so it isn't an issue.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Agreed, that this won't be a cheap project but if I'm going to do it then might as well spend the money once. Thanks for the info, I completely forgot about Hawkins.

Might as well get a lone peak action to go with it then right? ;)

Are you planning to put a standard recoil lug on as well or just run the standard slot in the action?

OP
907to406

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
The shank diameter won't match up with the radius on the front of the tikka action. It's just a cosmetic thing. Some smiths just cut the radius off so it isn't an issue.

This is what I thought but wasn't sure. I'll talk to my Smith and see if he'd comfortable with that. If he's not do you have any recommendations?

OP
907to406

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Might as well get a lone peak action to go with it then right? ;)

Are you planning to put a standard recoil lug on as well or just run the standard slot in the action?

Haha I wish! As far as the recoil lug goes I found a Titanium one but not sure of titanium's characteristics for that application. I'm currently running Mountain Tacticals recoil lug in the factory stock. I would probably stick with the standard slot in the action. That being said I'm open to recommendations.

dotman

WKR

Just don't forget that brake overall will cost close to $400 when you add everything up, buy, install and time as most smiths charge around $150 to install/time.

OP
907to406

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I should call Proof and see if they can just custom make a barrel that is turned down enough at the shank to fit the Tikka action. After talking to my Smith he said they should be able to do it but it would take 6 months. He said he wouldn't turn down a factory proof barrel but would instead modify the stock to fit. I think that would look a little sloppy for what I'm going to be into this build.

900.00 for the barrel, possibly more if its custom order.
200.00 for titanium brake from Hawkins
569.00 Manners stock
80.00 titanium bolt handle with carbon ball
500.00 for Gunsmithing (just a guess)

TOTAL: 2250.00 give or take?

Last edited:
I guess I should call Proof and see if they can just custom make a barrel that is turned down enough at the shank to fit the Tikka action. After talking to my Smith he said they should be able to do it but it would take 6 months. He said he wouldn't turn down a factory proof barrel but would instead modify the stock to fit. I think that would look a little sloppy for what I'm going to be into this build.
They can, but it takes ages. Call Bullseye Precision, they have this down to a science. They told me no problem, they already have the Tikka/Proof thing figured out. I'm going to be doing something similar here soon.

dotman

WKR

900.00 for the barrel, possibly more if its custom order.
200.00 for titanium brake from Hawkins
569.00 Manners stock
80.00 titanium bolt handle with carbon ball
500.00 for Gunsmithing (just a guess)

TOTAL: 2250.00 give or take?

Any good smith will be able to do it, give Travis at ts customs a call. Andy Hawkins highly recommended him and he has all of Andy's parts on hand or can get them asap.

I would add another $250 to the gunsmithing if you want the stock bedded and for misc items. Also if you haven't ordered your stock Manners is 6 months out currently. Also the barrel should only be $800. Call up Proof and they will tell you who has a 1:8 twist .277 barrel in stock ready to ship.

Last edited:
OP
907to406

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the responses. Now if somebody would just buy my semi custom 300RUM to help fund this build I'd be set!

PathFinder, can't wait to see your build

brushape

WKR
Been thinking about almost this same build sometime soon. Was going to use a Christensen arms barrel instead and undecided on which manners to run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Been thinking about almost this same build sometime soon. Was going to use a Christensen arms barrel instead and undecided on which manners to run

With a carbon barrel in the elite hunter stocks your limited to the EH1 or EH4, pretty sure all the tactical stocks will work.

OP
907to406

907to406

Lil-Rokslider

From all the research I've done they both work fine until a bench session and then the Christensen barrels start to wonder due to heat. whether its true or not I couldn't tell you as I have no first hand experience with carbon barrels other than what I read. The other reason I'm going with Proof is I live in Montana and want to keep it local.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
From all the research I've done they both work fine until a bench session and then the Christensen barrels start to wonder due to heat. whether its true or not I couldn't tell you as I have no first hand experience with carbon barrels other than what I read. The other reason I'm going with Proof is I live in Montana and want to keep it local.

I've shot quite a few Christensen rifles and have never had a problem with them stringing due to heat. I don't see why anyone would pay $900 for Proof instead of $600 for a Christensen. I've also done a Tikka with a carbon barrel. Mine is a Hells Canyon Armory and it shoots great. My next carbon barrel however will be Christensen.

Here's my carbon 300 wm

01%20Bull-Rifle-Pack_zpsm0jrpa4x.jpg

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Just a few of the Christensen rifles I have shot. I load for all these rifles for friends and have shot them a lot.

10%20Image_zpsaiafadbv.jpg

03%20Blackhawk_zpsfeynh2zv.jpg

IMG_20160321_130945_zpsgs7rnkwn.jpg

Another pic of my Tikka with a bear Brock shot at 665 yds.

IMG_20160317_172010_zpsakqzmb1b.jpg

dotman

WKR
I've shot quite a few Christensen rifles and have never had a problem with them stringing due to heat. I don't see why anyone would pay $900 for Proof instead of $600 for a Christensen. I've also done a Tikka with a carbon barrel. Mine is a Hells Canyon Armory and it shoots great. My next carbon barrel however will be Christensen.

Here's my carbon 300 wm

01%20Bull-Rifle-Pack_zpsm0jrpa4x.jpg

Proof isn't $900, it's $799 with free shipping all day long. I went with proof because CA only really carries good twist options in popular calibers, you can't get and CA will not build a 1:8 twist .277 barrel, because they see no need is what they told me on the phone. Proof builds a 1:8 twist 26" sendero lite carbon barrel in .277, which is also the cal the op is building.

Proof offers a good product at a slightly higher price with many many more options in various cals over CA, so CA has forced many to go with Proof due to a lack of offerings.

Last edited: