Proof research or Carbon 6 ..

OP
worx53

worx53

WKR
77a7237a51fb885b74b9db6b84a1cef6.jpg

First nine shots out of this rifle on top off bipod and rear bag . Thank god its a shooter.
Factory hornady match ammo. Shoots black box hornady hunting loads same poi and real tight also on bottom right. Very windy this morning also.
1923e356442557ced277955b9b0d85e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I called them last month, I'd ordered my 6.5 SST barrel Dec 27. They said they were having issues getting carbon but they should have the carbon the last week of June and I should see my pipe about now...

Seemed like good dudes.

A little disappointed but I just moved and haven't even set up my loading bench yet or bought a stock. And Bighorn just just me my action (ordered two days before thr barrel) the first part of June.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

connorwilliams

Lil-Rokslider
I called Monday and they just got their carbon. Barrels ordered in December will be shipping out early next week.

cfuentes

FNG
I feel like I've heard more bad experiences with Proof than any other CF brand. Don't think I'll ever buy one because of that.

I have an HCA / Benchmark that I love. Have a C6 that ordering and getting it in as spec'd was easy, but haven't shot it yet.

Ordering right now, I'd probably choose Bartlein with the uprated steel they offer...
How did your C6 shoot?

I'm liking my Carbon 6 6.5 PRC barrel. But now that I have my first build under my belt I think I would have gone with Proof as they are pre shouldered or done the West TX switch lug.
But the barrel shoots better than I do. It'll make one ragged hole at 100 all day with factory ammo. .25 moa.

Clark33

WKR
I have a pretty slow proof 6.5prc barrel. 24” 140 Berger factory Avgs 2820, 147 Hornady match avgs 2845. Only 60 rounds through the barrel so it should speed up but I don’t think it’ll get anywhere near box listed velocities.

Edit: and I know I know the box listed velocities don’t mean much but it’s nearly 300fps slower than Berger’s tested velocity.

OP
worx53

worx53

WKR
I have both…. I would go Proof… had a fiasco with my C6. I have 3 proof prefits on zermatts and all shoot light s out . C6 shoots as good but I wouldn’t go there again. They had to rent me a reamer so I could fix my own new barrel - they sent it messed up - and “fixed” it and it was still messed up. I said I wouldn’t let them try the 3 rd time.
But they sent a reamer and I finished it myself and thank god it shoots.

OP
worx53

worx53

WKR
My next build Im leaning towards buying a st st barrel from northland with a titanium zermatt action and then having it spiral machined in Wyoming to get a real lightweight rig.. the carbon barrels are a little heavy compared to milled stainless.

What advantages does a carbon barrel have over steel?
There are only 2 reasons that I've been able to figure out: 1) Appearance, and 2) if I find a deal on a used rifle stock can get the barrel channel expanded to fit a carbon fiber diameter.

Other: I have zero experience with Proof and I ordered a C6 pre-fit in June that I'm looking forward to receiving someday.

I own 2 Benchmark barrels. One is CF and both are very accurate and easy to load for. Also familiar with another handful of Benchmark CF barrels that are exceptional. Easy to point people toward Benchmark, anyway. :)