Proof research or Carbon 6 ..

OP
worx53

worx53

WKR
Finally got my c6 back. Bolt closes slightly hard on factory hornady black, and match ammo. Ejection is crazy hard ( loaded factory round) ... have to give it a hard smash with the fist to get round out. Upon inspection it looks like marks from lands on the bullets so i started seating bullets in deeper until it ejects correctly.. it isnt compressing powder but this just confirms it is still not correct. Ran my new go/ no go gauges and i could probably back the barrel off a little but i seated bullets .024” deeper to get only half decent ejection.
Shouldn’t have to do this with brand new ammo. obviously I reload my own but you shouldn’t have to do this.
More phone calls to C6 monday. 7 months now and still haven’t fired a round. Im sure it has to go back again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk lol

OP
worx53

worx53

WKR
I am about ready to get my own reamer and a couple hand turns would take care of it. Any suggestions or if anyone has a reamer to rent pm me please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
I just broke in a carbon six 300 Win barrel. This one started as an order to C6 for a barrel blank. Gene let me know that he had a prechambered R700 threaded prefit in almost the exact specs I was looking for, and that it was available immediately. He worked me up a smoking deal and sent it my way.

I intended to send it to Dan Glover for final fit onto my Stiller Predator, but I decided to see how well it headspaced without further machine work. Of note, the chamber work was excellent with no visible imperfections when viewed through the bore scope and to my surprise the barrel screwed on and headspaced perfectly without additional work.

Within the first 20 rounds down range including a few break in shots I found a .4 MOA load at 200 yards and proceeded to kill steel at 750. I find it hard to complain about any prefit barrel you can install yourself and get performance like this. I would absolutely purchase another carbon six. I may not gamble with another prefit, but this one turned out great.

Last edited:

HuntnPack

WKR
The barrel is the most important part in terms of mechanical precision. The barrel cost and cost to chamber is also just a fraction of the overall costs associated with that barrel (ammo or components & reloading equipment, gas, time, tags, etc). Don’t skimp on the barrel or the person that will cut the chamber.
^^This^^
Bartlein !!

Finally got my c6 back. Bolt closes slightly hard on factory hornady black, and match ammo. Ejection is crazy hard ( loaded factory round) ... have to give it a hard smash with the fist to get round out. Upon inspection it looks like marks from lands on the bullets so i started seating bullets in deeper until it ejects correctly.. it isnt compressing powder but this just confirms it is still not correct. Ran my new go/ no go gauges and i could probably back the barrel off a little but i seated bullets .024” deeper to get only half decent ejection.
Shouldn’t have to do this with brand new ammo. obviously I reload my own but you shouldn’t have to do this.
More phone calls to C6 monday. 7 months now and still haven’t fired a round. Im sure it has to go back again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk lol

The bullet jams so hard you need to smash with a fist to get the bolt back or bolt up?

Seems like you should be getting bullets stuck in the lands and powder dumped out of the case if the bullet is jamming that hard?

OP
worx53

worx53

WKR
Thats correct. To eject straight back out, not lift.. ive seen this before with bullets seated too far out of the case into the lands. Update—-I talked to C6 today and told them that their brand new reamer must not be correct and they are going to check it tomorrow. They are going to find out it’s not correct and I assume that they will have to get another reamer and I’ll have to send this back for the third time if i want them to take care of it as they should.
Like I mentioned I may just get a reamer and do it myself at this point it’ll only take a few hand turns to get it correct with the right size reamer but not something you should have to do with a brand new barrel especially after it had a problem the first time. They stated that they tried sigsauer loaded ammo and that it worked OK but their reamer is supposed to be set for OEM hornady ammunition which it obviously is not.
I’m glad they understand that there’s a legit problem and that they want to take care of it but I’m still not happy that this thing would have to go back for the third time.

OP
worx53

worx53

WKR
Anyone having trouble communicating with Carbon Six the last couple weeks. Phone number on website goes to “Tina” now and no responses now?
Email got answered once but now nothing.
My barrel saga continues.. second barrel arrived mated to my new action as i sent it to them with the first barrel .. they sent it back with my action ready to go supposedly. Chambered a new Hornady factory round and would not eject without pounding the bolt open…(as posted earlier) ..long story short its not correct snd they were to get back to me .. i said send me the new or a correct reamer and i will do it correctly as they cant seem to be able to do.. and here i sit waiting. No meassages returned for 2 weeks.
Never again with this company.
Be warned. I realize some of you have had a good experience but this is piss poor business in my opinion.

Still waiting on an order from January. No response to my last email. Might just do a chargeback on my credit card and move on.

sram9102

WKR
I ordered a blank from carbon 6 early february and was quoted 3/4 months. Emailed a few days past 4 months and they are 6 weeks behind. Haven't been terribly responsive with emails. Kind of glad I decided to have someone else do the work on the blank after reading through this...

OP
worx53

worx53

WKR
Extreme has proof prefits for zermatt sr3 on the shelf and i might order one tomorrow

connorwilliams

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered a c6 in December, was quoted may... they keep saying delays they have no control over and will be 3-4 more weeks to get the material and then however long to get my barrel finished. Hoping to get it by mid July. 7-8 months

OP
worx53

worx53

WKR
Next chapter… I received a rented reamer and gauges that C6 paid for which arrived yesterday via usps . Got the barrel corrected last night. Ejects like glass now. The reamer was from 4D out of Montana. Packed reamer up and sent it back today. Will see how it shoots this weekend.

CO-AJ

WKR
Little off topic here as mine isn't a CF barrel, but I only run Bartlein. So far they are spot on. I have 1 in a 6x47 Lapua and 1 in a 6mm Creedmoor. Awesome accuracy. Plus their customer service has been quick to respond when I was doing the research for my build.

Wow what a s#$! Show from C6
I stand by my earlier post, go with Bartlein or Proof
Your barrel is the last place you want to skimp on

Don’t Google Bartlien or Proof issues, you may find similar as C6.
To be honest I'm not a fan of any CF barrels, I tried one and sold it off.
I truly believe this is a fad, there's a bunch of hype about the benefits over steel but it's totally marketing