Proof Research vs Alamo Precision

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
Im looking at both of these rifles. The Proof Elevation MTR and Alamo Precision Altitude in either 30 Nosler or 300 PRC. They are the same price basically and Im leaning towards the Alamo but I like that Proof has a 1/2 moa guarantee. The rifle will be used primarily for hunting but I do want to do some long range target shooting with it. I live next to a pipeline so I have 1000 yd clearing next to my house. Im also leaning towards the PRC so i can shoot lower weight bullets to the heavy weights and also the brass is cheaper and more available. I reload and really enjoy it. Alamo has a 30 Nosler ready to ship and the ballistics between the 2 calibers seem to be neck and neck. 30 Nosler brass is going to be harder to come by and a little more pricey. Im also a little concerned the 30 Nosler is a fad gun and may not be around as long as the 300 PRC.

Im shooting a Browning x bolt 300wsm thats about 15 years old. Great woods gun and is dead on at 300 yds. 400 yds and the groups suck. I just purchased some Berger 220's and Im going to see if I can tighten up the 400 yd groups. So between the 30 and the 300 which will be the easiest for reloading or more forgiving or am I splitting hairs???? I also have tons of brass and powder for my 300 wsm.

fatbacks

WKR
I have a Proof Elevation MTR in 300 PRC. Honestly one of the best rifles I have ever owned. I reload and have experienced finicky rifles and this is NOT one of them. Load development it boring because it just shoots any powder/bullet combo I feed it. I topped mine with a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 and it is a wonderful combo. I shoot it suppressed almost all the time.

My primary purpose was to hunt with it so I swapped out the bottom metal with the Hawkins Hunter DBM and it is way lower profile and feeds flawlessly. Carried it for a week of goat hunting in Kodiak, spent a handful days riding around in my boat with me hunting moose and also taken on caribou hunt this fall. 100% can recommend it as a solid rifle.

MThuntr

WKR
I don't have much to offer as I've only held the Proof. I liked it.

30N vs 300PRC is a no brainer...PRC all the way. Honestly a 300WinMag would be my choice way over 30N. There's an old thread somewhere that goes into pretty good detail between the 3

robie

WKR
Alamo builds a solid rifle. I've got a 6.5 prc from them and am very happy. If your gun doesn't shoot .5 moa they will fix it. Give them a call and talk to them if you are concerned.

SDHNTR

WKR
I have multiple Alamo built rifles. They are all shooters. Moa guarantees are BS. Just marketing. Any good custom/high end will shoot 1/2 moa with the right ammo. You don’t like your Alamo, they will make you happy. That’s their guarantee. Imo, the advantage to the Alamo is the customization. You get the length, twist, and colors you want to make it uniquely your own. Versus the Proof, which is great, but aesthetically boring.

OP
EddieNel

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
Any other rifles that fall in that category of Proof and Alamo? Id like to keep it at $4k max for the rifle.

SDHNTR

WKR
Any other rifles that fall in that category of Proof and Alamo? Id like to keep it at $4k max for the rifle.
Not in my opinion. No one touches Alamo at their price point and with the ability to customize to your liking.

Other high end stuff like Christensen and Fierce lag waaayyy behind.

Seekins might me worth looking at, but I have no experience personally. If you can tolerate the way they look, I can’t! They otherwise generally seem to do things right with their other products.

OP
EddieNel

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
For that price you could pick a lot of parts and have about any of the well known smiths put it together for you.

If I were spending that money I’d be calling smiths, not looking for a cookie cutter rifle.
Thats a good point. Im also not sure how I would like the tactical style grip vs the traditional rifle grip. Ive got a lot of homework to do.

Talisman

FNG
I was at Alamo today, picking up a M700 rifle that I had them convert from BDL to Hawkins DBM.
while there, fondled many of the showroom rifles.
That Altitude stock feels really nice with the vertical grip.
I almost left there with a $4k rifle…….but I didn’t.

OP
EddieNel

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
I was at Alamo today, picking up a M700 rifle that I had them convert from BDL to Hawkins DBM.
while there, fondled many of the showroom rifles.
That Altitude stock feels really nice with the vertical grip.
I almost left there with a $4k rifle…….but I didn’t.
I need to hold a rifle with the vertical grip. See if I like it.

Darryle

WKR
I need to hold a rifle with the vertical grip. See if I like it.
You will, it feels natural whether prone or at the bench.

I have had 2 APR rifles, sold the Maverick and kept the Altitude. Both boringly accurate with factory ammo. Both liked a fouled bore, the cold bore shot shown6was also meticulously clean barrel. I have 200+ more rounds of the Nosler to use up before load development starts full force. Doe was shot at a little over 140yds thru the eye. I headshot does last part of the season from 140 to over 300yds, the rest were down right to nasty to post.

No need for a guarantee of accuracy from APR, they shoot.

E1F50392-D15E-491F-A901-45E5C5ABB56D.jpeg

Attachments

• 04164613-A7EC-4BA6-B8BA-73FB09182265.jpeg
    04164613-A7EC-4BA6-B8BA-73FB09182265.jpeg
    722.5 KB · Views: 34
OP
EddieNel

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
You will, it feels natural whether prone or at the bench.

I have had 2 APR rifles, sold the Maverick and kept the Altitude. Both boringly accurate with factory ammo. Both liked a fouled bore, the cold bore shot shown6was also meticulously clean barrel. I have 200+ more rounds of the Nosler to use up before load development starts full force. Doe was shot at a little over 140yds thru the eye. I headshot does last part of the season from 140 to over 300yds, the rest were down right to nasty to post.

No need for a guarantee of accuracy from APR, they shoot.

View attachment 454354

Have you shot any to 500 or more yards? My xbolt groups really tight to 300 yds then just completely opens up at 400 yds with no consistency. Thats why im wanting to go with a custom. I want to hunt but target shoot as well. I have a pipeline in my back yard so I have plenty of distance to shoot.

On a a side note Ill be camping in Weatherford for the night next week. We are heading to New Mexico to get a way for a week.

tak

WKR
Have you shot any to 500 or more yards? My xbolt groups really tight to 300 yds then just completely opens up at 400 yds with no consistency. Thats why im wanting to go with a custom. I want to hunt but target shoot as well. I have a pipeline in my back yard so I have plenty of distance to shoot.

On a a side note Ill be camping in Weatherford for the night next week. We are heading to New Mexico to get a way for a week.

I have two APRs, and two other Remingtons that APR has done work on. You won't be disappointed!

I have a 6.5CM that is just like their altitude, it was an early run with their APR Hunter action instead of the Anti, but that's the only difference. The very first time I shot it I shot 4 groups with 4 different factory loads. Smallest group was 0.3, largest group was 0.6.

I live just outside Weatherford, you are welcome to shoulder it when you are coming through next week.

Darryle

WKR

No animals yet, have shot 4", 6" and 8" plates out to 800yds, same factory ammo, same Swarovski Z6, with the BT and duplex reticle, I can only dial to 800ish yds with a 200yd zero. I found a new Z6 3 - 18 with the BRH reticle that will be here before long. If Swarovski's online ballistic calculator is correct, I can easily get to 1000yds using the reticle and dial with a 200yd zero.

OP
EddieNel

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
I have two APRs, and two other Remingtons that APR has done work on. You won't be disappointed!

I have a 6.5CM that is just like their altitude, it was an early run with their APR Hunter action instead of the Anti, but that's the only difference. The very first time I shot it I shot 4 groups with 4 different factory loads. Smallest group was 0.3, largest group was 0.6.

I live just outside Weatherford, you are welcome to shoulder it when you are coming through next week.
I may very well take you up on that offer. It will depend on what time we can get away from here. Just going to be passing through for the night then hitting the road but who know? Those are definitely some impressive groups.

OP
EddieNel

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
No animals yet, have shot 4", 6" and 8" plates out to 800yds, same factory ammo, same Swarovski Z6, with the BT and duplex reticle, I can only dial to 800ish yds with a 200yd zero. I found a new Z6 3 - 18 with the BRH reticle that will be here before long. If Swarovski's online ballistic calculator is correct, I can easily get to 1000yds using the reticle and dial with a 200yd zero.
Oh lord! I haven't really thought about scopes. Ive toyed with the idea of going Nightforce. Id be more than happy to be able to do that ring some plates at 800. This x bolt is amazing to 300ish but thats it. I feel like the barrel may be wore out. 15 years Ive had it and Ive been reloading for it the last 7 so Ive run some rounds through it. Just this week alone Ive shot 40 or 50 rounds through it.

SDHNTR

WKR
Oh lord! I haven't really thought about scopes. Ive toyed with the idea of going Nightforce. Id be more than happy to be able to do that ring some plates at 800. This x bolt is amazing to 300ish but thats it. I feel like the barrel may be wore out. 15 years Ive had it and Ive been reloading for it the last 7 so Ive run some rounds through it. Just this week alone Ive shot 40 or 50 rounds through it.
Stick with Nightforce!

If your groups are good at short range but open up at distance, I’d first check your form. Then I’d make sure you have ample barrel twist. Your bullets could lack stabilization.