Proof stainless prefit for Tikka, or benchmark?

Debating on what direction to go. The Proof stainless prefit is out of stock, but I can pick one up for much less than what a benchmark barrel blank and install from a gunsmith would be.

I currently have a Tikka in .338 win, but after trying about 12 different powder and bullet combos, I still am left unhappy. I mean if you only plan to shoot 300-400 yards it would work great, but over the last few years I’ve really become obsessed with long range accuracy and performance. This gun just isn’t working the way I’d like, so more than likely going with a 300 wsm for this new barrel.

I’d like to be shooting the 212 eld-x, or possibly the Berger 215’s. I’ve killed a fair share of animals at various ranges with my 6.5 using the 143 eld-x, and I’ve really grown to appreciate the performance. I recovered a bullet from my mule deer this year killed at 730 yds and the eld-x performed flawlessly. No complaints there, so hoping the 200 or 212 eld-x would work for this new barrel. I plan on keeping it as a long action, and buying a Hell’s Canyon mag or Mountain Tactical mag for proper feeding of the fat wsm cases.

Thoughts on a benchmark barrel blank install at roughly 30% more cost, or run the proof prefit?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
No history with Proof but had a Benchmark barrel put on my Tikka and it way exceeded my expectations.

I’m planning on running a benchmark on my tikka soon. Also with a smith chambering a blank you can choose your freebore based of mag length restrictions in the tikka and what bullet you want to run.

JakeM51

FNG
Bartlein cut rifled gain twist. Lite Palma unless you’d like it heavier.

eoperator

WKR
Thats like choosing blonde or brunette. I would choose the one available or the cheaper one.

wildcat33

WKR
Is the cost of tools to get the old barrel off and the new one on and headspace checked included in that 30%?