propane stoves for alaska?

Retterath

WKR
i was told by 40 mile air that i can't use my jetboil isobutane canisters for when flying me into the bush into alaska. Is there some kind of conversion going from isobutane to propane? since propane with have a higher pressure I'm sure some kind of regulator would need to be used. What are you guys using to boil your water, what is your setup? Thanks for the help

OP
Retterath

Retterath

WKR
that looks pretty slick. it must some how regulate the higher pressure propane compared to the isobutane

bbrown

WKR
that looks pretty slick. it must some how regulate the higher pressure propane compared to the isobutane
There is a set screw that think adjusts the pressure but I've never messed with it. For the $18 it's worth a try I would think. The only reason it doesn't work with my Soto is the casting on the base of the Soto won't fit inside the "collar" of the adapter. I'm sure I could grind it down to make it fit but since I have a MSR whisperlite it's not needed.

Sent you a PM...

OP
Retterath

Retterath

WKR
never got your PM

There is a set screw that think adjusts the pressure but I've never messed with it. For the $18 it's worth a try I would think. The only reason it doesn't work with my Soto is the casting on the base of the Soto won't fit inside the "collar" of the adapter. I'm sure I could grind it down to make it fit but since I have a MSR whisperlite it's not needed.

Sent you a PM...

bmart2622

WKR
I flew with Wright Air a few years ago and they said the only fuel I could fly with was Snowpeak fuel.

Depending on the length of time you'll be in camp, have you considered a liquid fuel stove? Coleman fuel is available everywhere. You can buy a gallon and take in only what you need (dump some before flying). A full gallon will easily run two guys with a good stove for 12 days and likely 14 days. When the hunt ends just dump any excess fuel and crush the can. An empty Coleman can weighs about the same as an empty 1 lb propane can.

I Beam

FNG
I have the Primus Lite Plus, and recently added the XL Pot that also uses the same attachment system. It is rather amazing.

This weekend on a little "tactical Glamping" trip with my Sister's family, I busted out the Primus system and made bacon and eggs for 5 people. The non-stick surface for the pot was the schiznitz. Frying up the bacon first helped of course. But the heat transfer is amazing on it, soon as you flip it on, the bacon starts sizzling. You don't have to mess with balancing the cooking pot on the stove since it is integrated perfectly. Worth every penny. Lite+ Colors Options Available – Primus Lite XL – Primus You can buy this or just the pot if you don't want the second burner or already have the Lite plus.

Schism

WKR
I've got an MSR whisperlite universal that I will be using this year in Alaska. I will take a couple empty MSR fuel bottles and fill them with fuel(white gas, kerosine, or gasoline) in Fairbanks.

As I understand it, you cannot fly out fuel in pressurized cans, so butane may not be an option either. Check with the air service.

Many people just switch to a small liquid fuel stove and take their fuel in a screw top container. You pump it up to get the needed pressure.

Another option to taking the fuel with you if you are tight on weight is to buy a multi-fuel stove and ask the pilot if you can fill your fuel container from his/her wing tanks. I know many have done this.

Larry

BBalash3

Lil-Rokslider
I flew with 40 mile air last year and used the KOVEA LPG adapter with my JetBoil (minimo). The adapter worked great and one canister of coleman LPG was MORE than enough for two guys to boil water for oatmeal, coffee, and dinner for 8 days. I would say that the difference in heat output and boil time from iso to LPG was negligible. The only other thing to consider is that is that the canister feet obviously wont fit the coleman fuel container and the stove is very top heavy & tippy. I watched a almost boiling pot of water spill on more than one occasion when being to lazy to sit and hold the stove...

Mike7

WKR
The Kovea Spider is very stable and works well with the Kovea Adapter and a 1 lb propane bottle. A guy can then also use the Spider in the winter with an inverted butane canister in liquid fuel mode.

The stove is like a torch with a full propane bottle when the valve is wide open, and there is not really a simmer when turned to low. With a full propane bottle you have to keep the bottle upright, so either the stove needs to be placed up on a rock, or the bottle needs to be placed down in a little hole standing upright.

Last edited:

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I've got an MSR whisperlite universal that I will be using this year in Alaska. I will take a couple empty MSR fuel bottles and fill them with fuel(white gas, kerosine, or gasoline) in Fairbanks.

If you are using a transporter, check with your pilot. Mine told me to make sure my bottles are empty and to bring the fuel in the original can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schism

WKR
If you are using a transporter, check with your pilot. Mine told me to make sure my bottles are empty and to bring the fuel in the original can.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give him a call and see what his preferences are.