Proper back country coffee

PJG

WKR
So, I am coffee snob, no other way to put it. I order green coffee beans and roast them in a Behmor 1600 Roaster. I typically go thru a pound to a pound and a half of beans a week, one cup in the morning and another just after lunch.
With that said, I still typically carry Via in the back country, its fast and its easy, and yep tastes like chit. However, if you ever want to try proper coffee in the back country here are a few options and equipment that I have used that you might consider;

1) You can pre-grind your coffee and place it in a Ziploc bag or food saver. But this kind of defeats that purpose of a proper cup of brew. Instead maybe try carrying whole beans with a small hand grinder like a mini Porlex Hand Grinder found here: http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/grinders/manual-grinders.html?source=grid
The teeth on this grinder are ceramic, the grind size is adjustable and it’s pretty easy to clean. I have used one for about a year and have not had any problems with it. It probably gets used once to twice a week on construction sites or in the backcountry.

2) Brewing methods. I have tried three different brewing methods so far and for me anyway have ruled out one of them. The three that I have tried are a Aeropress, a French Press, and a MSR Mugmate. The one that I have ruled out is the MSR Mugmate. For me anyway this thing is a PITA. I do not like how it sits on top of the cup, and also do not like how slow you have to pour water into it. If it had a sealed top, at least then you could just drop it into hot water for a period of time. I do like the Aeropress found here:http://www.amazon.com/AeroPress-Cof...183443&sr=8-1&keywords=aeropress+coffe+maker]

and I also like the French Press found here: http://www.snowpeak.com/cookware/coffee/titanium-french-press-cs-111.html

However, each of these systems has pros and cons to each of them. The Aeropress requires paper filters and separate cups, and the French Press is a PITA to clean and also requires a separate cup. The Snowpeak French Press can double up as a cup, but the diameter is only 3 inches, so it’s rather “narrow”.
If I want a cup of full bodied coffee that is a bit like mud, then I prefer the French press. If I want a clean cup of coffee that is smooth then I prefer the Aeropress.

3) Stove. Really all you need is to get water to the proper temperature. The best temperatures for coffee are between 195 and 205 F. Water boils at approximately 212 F, but this also depends on altitude. For instance the boiling point of water in Denver is close to 200 F. Also, the boiling point of water drops about 1.8F with each increase of 1000 feet. So, usually if you bring it to a boil you are going to get close, unless you are hunting at sea level.
With all that said, I still find myself throwing Via in the pack more often than not, why well because it’s less weight, faster, easier, blah, blah, blah, but also tastes like…yep you guessed it CHIT.

If there are any other coffee snobs on this forum that have any good methods, please share.

Love my morning joe. Not the officianado that you are tho. Enjoy the starbucks style of a heady rich brew. Have a primus eta stove and cup on order with a french press top, hoping it does a good job. How do you go thru a pound a week with two cups a day, reminds me when I drank only one or two glasses of jd a day,,, ten ounce glasses

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Man this is a great subject. I have to have my coffee Nothing better then a good cup of coffee and a chew (Bad habit used to be cigs was worse) in the morning to get the day started.

I use a plastic Kcup filter fill with coffee and put it in my cup. Stir it and let it brew. Sometimes I take the packets of instant. I tried the Compressor or french press and it was almost like a I was drinking dirt. May try this method again as I may need to refine the Compressor craft to get it right.

Shrek

WKR
I'm doing the Starbucks and the nasty french roast at that . Am I the only one who packs half and half to put in it ? I bought the half and half creamers last year and they worked great. Powdered and fake creamers don't mix well with me.

OP
P

PJG

WKR
I don't carry creamers, but I do usually add a packet of coco to it when using Via, I believe it's Justin Davis that calls this a Cadillac.

I'll have to try the Italian Roast.

gelton

WKR
Folgers makes coffee in tea bags that you can just boil water for it like you are making tea. While not the best I find it better than via. It's the best part of waking up - folgers in your cup.

Renoit24

FNG
Freeze dried Colombian coffee works for me. I take powdered milk in a baggie along with a few packs of sweet N low and I'm good to go.

I haul the Keurig Machine and Honda Generator with me...Then I run the Barista Prima Dark Italian! That's a super mug o' mud right there.

For mountain hunting, I usually go with the gut wrench Via's. I think I might get those fill-able tea bags and pull the Barista Prima coffee out of the K-cup and just brew it like that. I can't drink boiling hot coffee anyways, so it will steep enough to be nice and dark.

boom

WKR
i HATE washing my coffee press at home. i cant imagine a wilderness setting making it better. there is no way.

i buy instant coffee from the local asian market. they have GREAT variations coming out of korea. you can get black, black with sugar, w cream and sugar, with just cream. makes about 10oz cups. how water from my jetboil, into a plastic camp cup. done and over.

the brand i am liking is called MAXIM. i got a 100 pack for about 10 bucks.

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
I love my coffee also but not very picky, grind our 100% Kona on the weekends, but will drink anything thats around, lol. Like Boom said there are some good asian stuff, thai stuff is good also, premixed, probably crap to you serious drinkers though, he, he, Costco carries some of that stuff also.

Mmcan

WKR
I have this at home and love it!

http://www.bialettishop.com/Bialetti-Moka-Crem-Stovetop-Espresso-Maker.htm

I take the stripped down model camping and it is absolutely worth carrying.

http://www.bialettishop.com/MokaExpressMain.htm

I take coffee that was freshly ground by a great little shop near me (The Drip, on Lovers Lane in Dallas), and it is a slice of heaven to make this espresso grade drink. They describe it as a double or triple shot but I beg to differ. It's merely a small coffee with very rich flavor and a great way to start the day or have a little pick me up. Fits perfectly on a little MSR stove. And is super easy to rinse out (never us soap on it! Just rinse and wipe it out).

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
I'm all about some really good coffee, but in the backcountry I stick with Bucks via. It's too easy and delicious to pass up and you don't need any extra "gear" to brew a nice hot or cold cup, whenever. Just keeping' it simple.

endorice

Lil-Rokslider
Areopress for car camping. Starbucks Via for backcountry. While I love a good cup of coffee (or three), I am willing to make compromises in the backcountry for simplicity and weight savings.