Proper back country coffee

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'll have to try the Italian Roast.

I always have liked my coffee dark and strong, but I lived in Italy for three years........so dark and strong is all relative. And Shrek, I too take the 1/2 and 1/2 creamers.......can't stand powdered creamer. If anyone actually enjoys the French Roast Via's I have about 90 of them I'd sell you for $25 TYD.

I like the Italian Roast Via enough that that's what I'm drinking right now.

just back from local publix where via was on the shelf. italian roast is doable for me. 5.99 per 8 pack w/ 2.00 off coupon. think for the hassle factor of the french press may stick with these instant packets.

Years ago I'd pack a French press that my wife bought me http://www.liquidplanet.com/Planetary-Design-Big-Sky-Bistro-French-Press-Mug-p-544.html but it was just too bulky and time consuming to go through the whole process of making coffee in camp. The thing I didn't like about this was the coffee tended to get bitter due to sitting on top of the grounds. Plus, for me anyway, there was a plastic like taste that I just don't care for. Haven't tried any other brand of French press in the backcountry, just relegated this one to car camping adventures.

For me, when I'm in the backcountry I'm drinking the ever flavorful and tasty instant Vias. However, one of the challenges is to actually be able to drink a full cup of coffee before I need to leave camp. Typically I'll make a cup o' joe, but don't have time to sit and drink it.

Some of you guys are impressive! Packing a French press all the way in the backcountry? Wow, that's some serious caffeine addiction right there :)

Snyd

WKR
Life is too short for instant...

Gotta pack coffee! On our annual trek into the sheep mtns we pack a pound and a half or so of nice dark roast from our local bean burner. We do however grind it before we go.

mmmm, it tastes so much better in sheep country than it does in my kitchen! :D

Necessities of a sheep hunt. Fresh ground dark roast, filters, funnel and the MSR Reactor make for coffee anywhere, anytime wind rain or shine :D

file_zpscdbfae1f.jpg

file_zpsbd46749d.jpg

file_zps988b9975.jpg

file_zps50163e34.jpg

coffeRain_zpsd21fc6cb.jpg

tarra_06.jpg

Cold brew and press. The press is worth it's weight in the backcountry for me.

I have a coffee addiction I'm pretty sure

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Life is too short for instant...

Necessities of a sheep hunt. Fresh ground dark roast, filters, funnel and the MSR Reactor make for coffee anywhere, anytime wind rain or shine :D

For me, life is too short for waiting for the coffee to drip through the filter. Then it never tastes as good as it does at home. And then there's the coffee/filter mess and extra trash to deal with. This is why I went to the Via's. Never could hack regular instant coffee......but the Via's aren't freeze-dried and actually taste like real coffee.

Leah K

FNG
My husband is always accusing me of being a coffee addict. This evening he was reading through these posts aloud to me. I kept trying to convince him that I am not a true coffee addict and that you guys are much more serious about your coffee than I am. Here’s how the conversation went:

My husband: “Do you like Starbucks Via?”

Me: “Ehhh….it’s not as bad as Taster’s Choice.”

My husband: “You’re a coffee snob.”

Me: “I am not!”

My husband: “You are too! You always have to have a cup of coffee on all our hunting trips, even in the back country.”

Me: “Yeah, but I don’t drink it FIRST THING in the morning….sometimes I waited until the afternoon to have my first cup.”

My husband: “Only because you didn’t have time in the morning to drink it.”

Me: “Well I don’t carry a French press (or a Honda generator!) with me!”

My husband: “Doesn’t mean you’re not an addict.”

Me: “I’m NOT an addict. I DON’T have to have coffee.”

My husband: “Ok. Whatever. What are you doing right now?”

Me: “I’m trying to see if I can sew the flat sections of two coffee filters together to make a coffee pod to take my favorite ground coffee with me in the back country.”

My husband: “Why don’t we just haul the generator?”

:D

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Coffee isn't an addiction it's a way of life! The instant coffee (via, tasters choice, etc) just doesn't cut it. The other issue is having the required half and half for each cup. And then there's the need for the insulated, spill-proof mug so that you can enjoy said beverage for hours on end once you reach your glassing point. All very serious business.

Great thread. I usually pack my Snow Peak french press but it's not super big and is a real muddy cup. I've been thinking about switching to Via just for weight savings. Yeah, not nearly as good as a nice fresh pour over at home but the way I see it, Mountain House tastes awesome in the woods and total crap when back at home. Figure the Via will do what is intended. We also have some powdered espresso at home which I'm thinking would be a good way to spike the Via. I've also see these at the local natural food store but haven't tried yet:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/java_juice_coffee_extract.html#.U6mjKagirOc

LostArra

WKR
I've had Java Juice and I didn't think it produced a full bodied cup of strong joe that most coffee fans would like.

For the casual one cup-a-morning drinker, it's probably fine.

(I'm a home roaster and take my coffee seriously. For an instant coffee I like Via better than the Java Juice but prefer brewing my own.)

black42

FNG
You could do like I used to make mre coffee.... Take the instant powder and just put in like a dip of snuff.

Man, I think I've tried it all in the field. Pour over (aka Snyd style), cowboy, aeropress, french press and countless Via's of all flavors over the years. Based on this significant amount of research I can say without reservation that the best cup of coffee is the one that your partner makes before you roll out of the bag!

Used my brothers Aeropress over the weekend to make this cup in Misty Fjords Nat'l Monument over the weekend. Some hot black coffee during a break in the rain really hit the spot.

Normally though, I use Via anymore. Simple and no mess. Got to admit the aeropress sure makes a better cup though. Way cheaper too.

Yk

boom

WKR
My husband is always accusing me of being a coffee addict. This evening he was reading through these posts aloud to me. I kept trying to convince him that I am not a true coffee addict and that you guys are much more serious about your coffee than I am. Here’s how the conversation went:

My husband: “Do you like Starbucks Via?”

Me: “Ehhh….it’s not as bad as Taster’s Choice.”

My husband: “You’re a coffee snob.”

Me: “I am not!”

My husband: “You are too! You always have to have a cup of coffee on all our hunting trips, even in the back country.”

Me: “Yeah, but I don’t drink it FIRST THING in the morning….sometimes I waited until the afternoon to have my first cup.”

My husband: “Only because you didn’t have time in the morning to drink it.”

Me: “Well I don’t carry a French press (or a Honda generator!) with me!”

My husband: “Doesn’t mean you’re not an addict.”

Me: “I’m NOT an addict. I DON’T have to have coffee.”

My husband: “Ok. Whatever. What are you doing right now?”

Me: “I’m trying to see if I can sew the flat sections of two coffee filters together to make a coffee pod to take my favorite ground coffee with me in the back country.”

My husband: “Why don’t we just haul the generator?”

:D

Lol!