Proper back country coffee

My favorite coffee which I will
Make at home or in the back country...is ground coffee put into a press with cold water. I let it sit for 12 hours and then press it. Makes world class coffee. I then just heat that up and you have very yummy coffee!

Leah K

FNG
Make at home or in the back country...is ground coffee put into a press with cold water. I let it sit for 12 hours and then press it. Makes world class coffee. I then just heat that up and you have very yummy coffee!

What type of press are you using for this? A French press?

Hardstalk

WKR
Not really "backcountry" but has anyone tried nuge java? It's ted nugents signature coffee line. I ordered it several years ago after seeing a commercial. Tasty stuff!

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
since when do men use the word "yummy" when they are not talking to a 2 year old? do you use dude wipes too? :)

is the cold brew coffee as strong as hot brew? what makes the taste better?

since when do men use the word "yummy" when they are not talking to a 2 year old? do you use dude wipes too? :)

is the cold brew coffee as strong as hot brew? what makes the taste better?

Lol. I've been hanging around my 6 month old girl too much i guess lately.

The cold brew is smoother. Less acidic. Easier on your guys. And brings out different flavors than hot brew! Cold brew are actually stronger. There are some cold brew systems out there that make a concentrate that you actually have to cut with water. The concentrate can be stored in the fridge for months.

jbv1030

FNG
Okay, i will throw my hat into the ring for backcountry coffee.

I have used this before:
http://www.backcountrygear.com/snow...a_7c6583_a_7cSNO9C10195_d_SILVER#.U6pOK_ldWSo

weight of 4.9 oz. not super light weight. adjust the strength of your coffee by adjusting the amount of pour over

here is another one:
http://www.amazon.com/Hario-V60-Cof..._sim_k_15?ie=UTF8&refRID=02HHEJKGMAFTQG57CT6R

pretty lightweight, i throw it in my little pot that i cook with. i take a few filters for coffee work great if i run out of toilet paper...

lchavez

Lil-Rokslider
Okay, i will throw my hat into the ring for backcountry coffee.

I have used this before:
http://www.backcountrygear.com/snow...a_7c6583_a_7cSNO9C10195_d_SILVER#.U6pOK_ldWSo

weight of 4.9 oz. not super light weight. adjust the strength of your coffee by adjusting the amount of pour over

here is another one:
http://www.amazon.com/Hario-V60-Cof..._sim_k_15?ie=UTF8&refRID=02HHEJKGMAFTQG57CT6R

pretty lightweight, i throw it in my little pot that i cook with. i take a few filters for coffee work great if i run out of toilet paper...

The snow peak works great, but I use the hario filters with it. It's larger than you would expect, but folds up flat. I have the aeropress but the novelty wears off quick and snow peak coffee taste just a good.

Folders singles do the job. I have used a GSI percolator but it's a pain to clean and took up too much room.

LostArra

WKR
Cold brewing is typically done to make a larger volume of coffee in a concentrated form to be used in iced coffee drinks. Stores well too.
Time consuming process with a result that is so-so imo. Cold brewing does not extract flavor compounds that are unique to a specific coffee when brewed with hot water.

Justin's re-heating is interesting but would not change the flavor since the coffee grounds are not exposed to the heat. If you don't like the unique flavor compounds then it might be a good choice.

If you like "bright" coffees like Central Americans, Kenyan and some Ethiopian then cold brew may not be your method of choice.
If you like Indonesians like Sumatra then it may be a good alternative.

I already pack too much crap, no need for more.
Folgers tea bags here as well. They're light weight, fast & simple.
I do wish they'd offer a bolder roast though.

Maybe someone has a lead on a different brand of tea bag that is bolder????
Hunt'nFish

TD1

FNG
I've had a french press for years called the press-bot that uses a standard nalgene bottle. For packing, everything fits in the bottle.... coffee, creamer and press. Works great once you figure it all out. And the bottle itself comes in pretty handy in camp at times.

http://canyoncoffee.us/press-bot/

I take it if hunting from a base camp or short spike camp. Long or difficult spike camp/bivy hunt it stays back. I don't NEED the coffee, but it's nice to have. Don't know if my habit is coffee itself or the flavored creamer anymore, or as Coach calls it, my "coffee shake"....

Brent1321

Lil-Rokslider
pretty lightweight, i throw it in my little pot that i cook with. i take a few filters for coffee work great if i run out of toilet paper...[/QUOTE]

I would be leery accepting a cup of camp coffee from this guy, just sayin'........

Brent

scarboy11

Lil-Rokslider
I just pack in my keurig and bam instant hot tasty coffee....haha jk I actually use folders coffee singles lightweight I can get two uses out of one pouch. ( I don't need a lot of caffeine three sips and I'm wired!) I did have a buddy of mine on a backpack hunt bust out a backpacking espresso maker. He used it over my msr pocket rocket I'll look for the picture today and post it. Drinking that was like liquid crack!!!!

scarboy11

Lil-Rokslider
8ehytu7a.jpg
here is that espresso maker doing work on the msr pocket rocket at 12k ft.

Shrek

WKR
What is everyone drinking their coffee from ? I have a cheap insulated 16 oz capacity plastic cup that I cut the handle off of and it weighs 5.1 oz. I looked at a super light titanium cup but it looks to like my coffee would be cold before I could get two sips. What's the experience with titanium cups ?