Proper cape care

TheCougar

WKR
I’d like to hear your recommendations for proper care of a cape. I’ll be hunting out of state and I’ll need to keep the cape in good condition for 3-4 days post kill. One of the hunts will be warm and two others will be colder. I’ve only caped once before and I don’t plan on turning the ears, etc - I’ll let the taxidermist for that. My goal is to get him a cape in good condition and minimize slippage and spoiling. I hope to cape 4 elk this year and learning the process. I didn’t find any previous threads that specifically covered cape care, so feel free to drop a link if you know of a good thrread. Thanks.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve killed quite a few bucks in September and I’ve never lost a cape yet. Get as much meat off the hide as possible, and get them on ice, as soon as possible. And don’t let them get down in the ice water. If ice is a day or so away, I just make sure I lay it out at night and let nature get them cool, and then I wrap them up in the morning and insulate them well with a sleeping bag, tent, clothes, whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I’ve killed quite a few bucks in September and I’ve never lost a cape yet. Get as much meat off the hide as possible, and get them on ice, as soon as possible. And don’t let them get down in the ice water. If ice is a day or so away, I just make sure I lay it out at night and let nature get them cool, and then I wrap them up in the morning and insulate them well with a sleeping bag, tent, clothes, whatever.

Do you salt at all? When you throw it in a cooler, do you go skin-to-skin?

Trial153

WKR
A bite of salt goes a long way, more so if your a few days away from freezer or cooler. That said dont think it will negate sloppy cleaning of the hide. Take everything you can off then salt it

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Do you salt at all? When you throw it in a cooler, do you go skin-to-skin?

You know I have not salted it because I know I’m gonna have it to the taxidermist or freezer within just a few days. But listening to guys who know more about it than I do and kill way more animals, salt is great idea if you have it on hand.

And yes, skin to skin

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
A bite of salt goes a long way, more so if your a few days away from freezer or cooler. That said dont think it will negate sloppy cleaning of the hide. Take everything you can off then salt it

Are you referring to fleshing the hide, or just removing all the meat?

Trial153

WKR
Are you referring to fleshing the hide, or just removing all the meat?

All meat and blood possible, plus turning the lips, eyes and ears . Salt all those and the turned nose, pay attention to ends of the cape and also around any wound cuts.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
All meat and blood possible, plus turning the lips, eyes and ears . Salt all those and the turned nose, pay attention to ends of the cape and also around any wound cuts.

I have heard that I can do more damage trying to turn the ears/etc, than just leaving it be. Some guys say clean it and salt it, some guys say to follow Robby’s advice. I figure I can have the cape to the taxi within 3 days or so. All the advice I’ve found so far agrees to: cool it of, keep it in the shade, remove all the big pieces of meat, keep it dry, and fold it skin to skin. After that you get differing advice with some folks saying leave it be and others recommend tour advice. Am I fine either way?

Trial153

WKR
I have heard that I can do more damage trying to turn the ears/etc, than just leaving it be. Some guys say clean it and salt it, some guys say to follow Robby’s advice. I figure I can have the cape to the taxi within 3 days or so. All the advice I’ve found so far agrees to: cool it of, keep it in the shade, remove all the big pieces of meat, keep it dry, and fold it skin to skin. After that you get differing advice with some folks saying leave it be and others recommend tour advice. Am I fine either way?
For that length of time, you can't do far wrong. When it doubt leave it to the taxidermist

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

I agree with you on this if a person knows how to do that fine detail work. I don’t, so I just work extra hard to get it to the taxidermist to do that stuff. But I’m sure there’s a point you got to do it if you can’t get it in to a cooler within a few days.

I know the back country guides have those skills and buy some time when they’re able to do all that little stuff.