Proper Shot Sequence, By Jimmy Tippetts

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If your anchor has changed, it can effect your peep height. Your anchor shouldn’t change though. You might have to adjust draw length or add a little length to your d-loop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey, you're a prophet. Come to think of it, we did change my d-loop, but actually shortened it just an 1/8" or so at most, but we changed the d-loop as my instructor didn't think I was into the wall enough. He was right.

My anchor didn't change that we could notice (string on nose, right hand 1st-knuckle under ear lobe) but my wrist position changed: pinky side slightly higher so I could reach the base of the trigger with my index knuckle crease.

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider

I went through all that in 2015. It's easy to tell what you need. Grab a cheap pair of 1.0+ readers and look through your peep. That cleared my pin right up. Now I didn't shoot with readers, but it showed me it was worth the investment to go to a screw-in verifier (basically puts a reader lens in your peep.). I hunted that way a few years no problem (except gotta watch that lens on rainy days.). My vision has continued to worsen and I was able to switch to contacts which do the same thing but rain doesn't affect them.
Thanks! I’ll give it a go.

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
Great reminder and details. Very helpful as I ramp my shooting back up with the nice spring weather

OXN939

WKR
I think this happens with a lot of people that have bad eyesight. Have you tried contacts? I’ve always had good eyesight so I can’t tell you exactly what you should do. Recently I’ve had to wear reading glasses when reading and it hasn’t effected my shooting yet as I focus on the target in the distance. But once my vision gets too bad past my bow hand, I just might have to re-evaluate the situation.

New question for you- How critical would you say it is for the string/ nose/ eye/ peep alignment to be exactly as described in the article? I learned to shoot with my nose rotated slightly inboard of the string instead of anchored on part of it, which consequently also means that my eye is closer to the peep sight. I've included a screenshot from a Merlin Archery video, which shows a similar technique to the one I use, as well as one from the article for comparison.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 10.19.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 10.19.28 PM.png
    449 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 10.18.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 10.18.37 PM.png
    464.2 KB · Views: 35

Slim Jim

WKR
There is no right or wrong with little variance but you must be consistent with your anchors. The guy in the pic you are showing has a real high anchor with his release hand in the middle of the ear. Because of that anchor, it will bring the string higher on the side of the nose.

Hoot

WKR
Thanks! I’ll give it a go.
I also just went through this, a verifier would help, but might not be legal to hunt with, check your regulations.
Try a smaller peep to cut out some of the glare and double vision.
I am on my second week of contacts and I’ve never shot better than I have been this week...

Scottyboy

WKR
Excellent information, looks like my anchor point has been, well, wrong..since I moved to a hand held release. Time to get back to the basics 😃

Brendan

WKR
New question for you- How critical would you say it is for the string/ nose/ eye/ peep alignment to be exactly as described in the article? I learned to shoot with my nose rotated slightly inboard of the string instead of anchored on part of it, which consequently also means that my eye is closer to the peep sight. I've included a screenshot from a Merlin Archery video, which shows a similar technique to the one I use, as well as one from the article for comparison.

My opinion - the guy in your second picture has a draw length that's a little too long (even with the higher anchor). Another "marker" to look at in addition to string at the tip of the nose is the position of the string compared to the corner of the mouth. That can vary a little bow-to-bow, but if you compare to Jimmy he's definitely drawing maybe 1/2" or more further back.

If you go back to the article and look at some of the draw arm alignment pictures, that can start leading to your elbow pulling around and behind you instead of straight back. Another disadvantage to going further back on your face - it's harder to to keep facial pressure light and consistent which can make left/right accuracy harder.