Proper Shot Sequence, By Jimmy Tippetts

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Pic-8.jpg

Jimmy is back with another great archery article. I've watched Jimmy shoot a few times and he has his system dialed very tightly. This article walks through his entire shot sequence from stance, to draw, to shot. Give it a read whether you're a novice or expert.

Proper Shot Sequence

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another great article Jimmy. Its been a long winter here without me shooting my bow at all. When the weather warms up just a bit I'll go back to the basics when I start shooting again and work on my archery foundation.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Slim Jim

WKR
Another great article Jimmy. Its been a long winter here without me shooting my bow at all. When the weather warms up just a bit I'll go back to the basics when I start shooting again and work on my archery foundation.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thanks bud If you have any questions just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
Well, turns out my trigger finger placement is wrong.

Eventually it won't be -16° and I can shoot my bow.

JD Speigl

FNG
[QUOT
Pic-8.jpg

Jimmy is back with another great archery article. I've watched Jimmy shoot a few times and he has his system dialed very tightly. This article walks through his entire shot sequence from stance, to draw, to shot. Give it a read whether you're a novice or expert.

Proper Shot Sequence
Pic-8.jpg

Proper Shot Sequence
Great article! I needed to read this before going on my 3D shoot yesterday. A reminder of the fundamentals is always good

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! Let me know if you have any questions Robby

sort of a question. When I switched from the typical rifleman pull (end of index finger) to the top knuckle as you recommended, that little change meant I had to resight my bow to hit the 12 ring. I think it was because I had to change my wrist position to reach the trigger, changing my POI. Not a biggie, just wondering if you'd heard that before.

With the new finger position, it is harder to punch the trigger and I can use some back tension whereas before, it was only finger movement firing the bow.

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you!

Quick question, I wear glasses and when I shoot with them, either the pins are clear or the target is clear and when I shoot without, it’s all a blur. I’ve pretty much learned what to do to deal with it and get somewhat decent groups at 50, but I feel like they could be a lot better. Is there anything I can do to maybe clear up the target at that distance, or am I just thinking too much into it?

Slim Jim

WKR
sort of a question. When I switched from the typical rifleman pull (end of index finger) to the top knuckle as you recommended, that little change meant I had to resight my bow to hit the 12 ring. I think it was because I had to change my wrist position to reach the trigger, changing my POI. Not a biggie, just wondering if you'd heard that before.

With the new finger position, it is harder to punch the trigger and I can use some back tension whereas before, it was only finger movement firing the bow.

If your anchor has changed, it can effect your peep height. Your anchor shouldn’t change though. You might have to adjust draw length or add a little length to your d-loop

Slim Jim

WKR
Quick question, I wear glasses and when I shoot with them, either the pins are clear or the target is clear and when I shoot without, it’s all a blur. I’ve pretty much learned what to do to deal with it and get somewhat decent groups at 50, but I feel like they could be a lot better. Is there anything I can do to maybe clear up the target at that distance, or am I just thinking too much into it?

I think this happens with a lot of people that have bad eyesight. Have you tried contacts? I’ve always had good eyesight so I can’t tell you exactly what you should do. Recently I’ve had to wear reading glasses when reading and it hasn’t effected my shooting yet as I focus on the target in the distance. But once my vision gets too bad past my bow hand, I just might have to re-evaluate the situation.

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
I think this happens with a lot of people that have bad eyesight. Have you tried contacts? I’ve always had good eyesight so I can’t tell you exactly what you should do. Recently I’ve had to wear reading glasses when reading and it hasn’t effected my shooting yet as I focus on the target in the distance. But once my vision gets too bad past my bow hand, I just might have to re-evaluate the situation.

I have, but my vision is only blurry in my shooting eye..go figure haha. I don’t shoot bad, but I’m sure it could be better if I can clear up the target some. I figured I’d ask and see if you’d ran into that problem.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have, but my vision is only blurry in my shooting eye..go figure haha. I don’t shoot bad, but I’m sure it could be better if I can clear up the target some. I figured I’d ask and see if you’d ran into that problem.
I went through all that in 2015. It's easy to tell what you need. Grab a cheap pair of 1.0+ readers and look through your peep. That cleared my pin right up. Now I didn't shoot with readers, but it showed me it was worth the investment to go to a screw-in verifier (basically puts a reader lens in your peep.). I hunted that way a few years no problem (except gotta watch that lens on rainy days.). My vision has continued to worsen and I was able to switch to contacts which do the same thing but rain doesn't affect them.