Properly Increase Draw Weight

BDubbYuh

FNG
I am fairly new to archery and have a hoyt powermax compound bow. I had my local archery shop set up the bow with a 50 pound draw weight weight when I first got it. I have been practicing for the last few months with it at 50 pounds, and would like to start increase the draw weight. I am familiar with the process of increasing the draw weight (turn each bolt 1/2 turn at a time and alternate), but am wondering if anything else needs to be adjusted when doing so. TIA.

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
You will wan't to check your timing each time you make turns in your limb bolts. Turning the bolts the same is not an exact science. You may eventually underspine yourself as well. So you'll wan't to retune your bow to make sure your arrow flight is good. Also check your broadhead flight if you are planning on hunting with the weight that you choose. Your draw is going to shorten a tad bit the more poundage you get, so you may wan't to make micro adjustments to your loop.

Make sure your string stop is adjusted properly if they did it correctly for you they would have adjusted it for you u want no more than a credit card width spacing if you tighten limb bolts down that gap should get smaller also timing should not change if you adjust both limb bolts it is always good to check it through paper and make sure u are with the correct spine of arrow

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
I got into archery last year and did something similar to you. I'm drawing 70# now, but I started at 50# and worked my way up to get my form down first. One thing I had to adjust was the timing on my drop away rest. At around halfway up my climb in poundage, it become out of tune but it was quick fix once I brought it into the shop.